Retiring Soon - open speculation

9 hours ago, Sozial said:

Cmon, give it a rest. We know that you went in deep with Mars Rovers, does this good choice make you the godfather of lego investing?

No, the godfather of LEGO investing would be the men with 100 x 10179 or 100 x 10182...

(I look back with nostalgia to this time thinking how easy it was to order 50 or more of 10182 or 10185...)

Interesting to see that of the retiring soon exclusives,Red5 is the one in the most European country by country top sellers, followed by Tumbler.

The sets that appear most consistently are Wall E and Dr Who with Santa´s Workshop, Winter Toy Shop, MF, the Jurassic sets and Ecto 1 not far behind.

T1, PS and Mini Cooper make a lot of lists in lower positions.

SOH makes the list in Luxembourg!

16 hours ago, mauro23 said:

No one, really no one is interested in LEGO movie sets and this includes also the Sea Cow...

Someone has stated that Monster Fighters and Ninjago are sets for children and therefore the Temple will be the winner as HH is.

Clearly no - Monster Fighters sets are more sets for adults than for children except of the small ones.

Mauro

(Owner of 90 MRs... - sold one today at at 139.99 Euro :-) )

One (a sea cow) just sold on eBay uk for 290 quid.

Edited just now by Pjking

1 hour ago, s3110950 said:

Assuming both retiring at the end of this year. Which set has better investment potential? 10188 death star or 76023 tumbler and why?

Very good question, I was thinking the same this morning. I think they both will perform very well, especially the Tumbler will do very well in the States I think.

At the moment I'm buying the Tumbler instead of DS. Tumbler a underrated set, and I see it as a big time opportunity since it is not hoarded, very short & limited availability so it will be scarce in the future. It's difficult, sometimes you also have to follow your heart; mine is full of that Tumbler can't help it ;-)

Perhaps an expert can tell more about the investment potential, I'm too short in Lego investing.

49 minutes ago, s3110950 said:

Assuming both retiring at the end of this year. Which set has better investment potential? 10188 death star or 76023 tumbler and why?

Good question. Both Star Wars and Batman have huge fanbases. The Death Star is a playset and a display model all in one which should appeal to a wide variety of Star Wars fans. It was clearly a very good seller which is why it had such a long production cycle. If you consider how quickly the UCS Super Star Destroyer has risen in value it's not inconceivable to see the DS going much the same way. The Dark Knight trilogy is one of the most critically acclaimed and successful financial movie series of all time. The Tumbler is iconic and well replicated in Lego. You only have to look at The UCS Batmobile (7784) and some of the original Lego batman sets are to see how much potential they have. If your budget allows for it I would suggest picking up at least one of each as I see both being good performers. If only one is an option I would say buy a Death Star as it's likely to sell for the highest price and with a wealth of Star Wars movies over the coming years there should be plenty of demand.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your valuable inputs. I am from Australia and DS costs 2x of the tumbler. DS being retired already on LEGO Shop at Home,  it is already selling at 900 AUD on ebay. i am just very concerned about DS' 8 years shelf history which makes it overly hoarded. Certainly a tough decision to make, especially after last year's TH vs GE lesson.

Guest TabbyBoy
On 09/12/2015 at 10:16 PM, Sozial said:

Cmon, give it a rest. We know that you went in deep with Mars Rovers, does this good choice make you the godfather of lego investing?

I'm not a LEGO Godfather by any means even though I ended up buying 155x Mars Rover myself where only 5 remain. This alone has paid for all my buyer's remorse sets that I plan to offload on eBay in the new year undercutting everybody as they owe me nothing apart from the space they took up!  I've actually bought more Reseach Institutes and these will really hit the roof I think but, it's a little to early to sell them yet. However, I made LOTS of mistakes in the early days.

Edited by TabbyBoy
Typos

11 hours ago, JM123 said:

Very good question, I was thinking the same this morning. I think they both will perform very well, especially the Tumbler will do very well in the States I think.

At the moment I'm buying the Tumbler instead of DS. Tumbler a underrated set, and I see it as a big time opportunity since it is not hoarded, very short & limited availability so it will be scarce in the future. It's difficult, sometimes you also have to follow your heart; mine is full of that Tumbler can't help it ;-)

Perhaps an expert can tell more about the investment potential, I'm too short in Lego investing.

I think your answer will arrive when the new DS will be revealed. 

If it is a disappointment, then the current retiring one will do very well. Maybe better than Tumbler (in Europe).

In terms of Tumber, I'm really unsure. I've been debating whether I want another or not. It looks like inventories aren't excessive. But at the same time, sales are slow in Europe. Look at Asylum. Also one that has disappointed many investors. Every region has preferences, and in Europe my best guess is that Star Wars wins by some.

Make up your mind. If it would be clear for the community, probably the Tumbler would already be sold out on LEGO Shop at Home and investories huge. But then, it could disappoint because the horde has exaggerated. The trick these days is to find the forgotton set that has that potential. 

Conclusion: I play the stupid investor and hedge my bets. I get both. Can't imagine both should fail... at least I hope they don't tank together!

6 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

I smell a big rat. Tumbler should have at least gone to backorder by now unless they have made a whole heap of them by mistake and the retiring soon tag is a ruse. The longer it is available for the horde, the less attractive an investment it will be Vs Death Star.

It's very strange that they already tagged this set. 

Can't really understand unless it's really not selling in Europe or there's a licencing issue

6 minutes ago, ZULU said:

I think your answer will arrive when the new DS will be revealed. 

If it is a disappointment, then the current retiring one will do very well. Maybe better than Tumbler (in Europe).

In terms of Tumber, I'm really unsure. I've been debating whether I want another or not. It looks like inventories aren't excessive. But at the same time, sales are slow in Europe. Look at Asylum. Also one that has disappointed many investors. Every region has preferences, and in Europe my best guess is that Star Wars wins by some.

Make up your mind. If it would be clear for the community, probably the Tumbler would already be sold out on LEGO Shop at Home and investories huge. But then, it could disappoint because the horde has exaggerated. The trick these days is to find the forgotton set that has that potential. 

Conclusion: I play the stupid investor and hedge my bets. I get both. Can't imagine both should fail... at least I hope they don't tank together!

I agree, but I also disagree with what you write. The Tumbler is a way better set than AA. AA mostly was about the figures and not so much the structure. I believe Tumbler has both. Sure, Super Heroes are no way near as popular in Europe as in the US. Though the Dark Knight was a huge success. Even here. Who cannot remember Christian Bale asking: "Does it come in black?". So I would suggest to invest in the Tumbler. But with moderation. 

DS is a different story. All stands and falls with what the new one will be. If the new one is totally different... this will be a slam dunk winner. Again, same advice here. Invest in them but not more than what you and your wallet can carry. 

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
11 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

Forget Tumbler, get Pirates ship 70413 at 69,99 at toysRUs via Ebay...

It's not a very detailed ship and it could tank like the LOTR ship has. I only bought one during Black Friday as not very confident even though it's on its way out. My money is on the 10240 R5 right now.

Edited by TabbyBoy
Damn keyboard!