Retiring Soon - open speculation

17 hours ago, Deeker said:

Does anyone think that the Temple of Airjitzu is selling like a dog with the recent giveaways and such.   I am sure it has the niche market and asking a lot of Parents to shell out this kind of money for a set that as a theme has a younger appeal might be tough.  I personally love it and I know my 6 year old has asked for it a million times.  I bought him one from santa but am honestly thinking most that buy this for a child are not the norm or going to be like lord business and no playing with it.  

With all the sets coming out and and more bigger exclusives I am starting to think this one might run a short course.   My 2 cents

12 hours ago, baschloinka said:

There have now been two deals where the Temple was been offered with a promotional item of much higher value than the typical polybag or small set.  I don't recall seeing that kind of deal on any other exclusive in recent history.  The most common conclusion from this observation is that the larger promotional item is being used to increase sales of a slow mover.  Not the only possibility out there, of course.

8 hours ago, valenciaeric said:

EU data for Temple showed very average sales. My guess is it will have a shorter than normal life if that stays the same and US sales are not better.

Maybe sales would be better if the buying limit wasn't set at 1. Just a thought.

6 minutes ago, LegoEdison said:

Maybe TLG want to use Temple of Airjitzu to sold all their slow moving item. without the help of the Temple, who is paying full price for that 2 freebie set

It's the Temple that's slow-moving, at least according to both the Costa Mesa and Mission Viejo Lego Stores.  Both managers I talked to there said before the promotion, no one was buying the temple.  After the deals (Enter the Serpent/Ronin REX,GBH), they said they sold loads of them.

13 minutes ago, tunnelvision said:

It's the Temple that's slow-moving, at least according to both the Costa Mesa and Mission Viejo Lego Stores.  Both managers I talked to there said before the promotion, no one was buying the temple.  After the deals (Enter the Serpent/Ronin REX,GBH), they said they sold loads of them.

Well, this shows that just  because a set if beutifully put together and presented, it won't necessarily be successful. Maybe it is partly cursed by being part of the Ninjago line together with the higher price.

8 minutes ago, Battrax said:

Well, this shows that just  because a set if beutifully put together and presented, it won't necessarily be successful. Maybe it is partly cursed by being part of the Ninjago line together with the higher price.

Maybe then they should remove the minifigures, add some connections to the sides, and sell it as modular for $160.

-> The new modular is a corner building again! And it is in an Asian style! And it it has a tower!

After that they could sell the "Ninjago Minifig Temple Expansion Pack" separately with the stuff they left out.

Edited by 10230
  • Like 1

This set (Temple of Airjitzu) has more potential than any future modular when TLG decides to give it a very short lifespan. Maybe it is already retired, but Lego 'forgot' the retiring soon label and stock is drying up very slowly at this moment.. ;-) wouldn't that be great! Chaos, panic hahah!

Edited by JM123
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, LegoEdison said:

too expensive to end user, too early for reseller. i totally understand 

The temple is a beautiful set, but I do not think it will attract many AFOLs when it goes EOL, just because it is Ninjago, which is for many AFOLs Lego for kids. The other problem is that most parents are not willing to spend 350-400 Euro/US$, which would be my lower target selling area. So I will stay away from 70751

5 minutes ago, Sozial said:

The temple is a beautiful set, but I do not think it will attract many AFOLs when it goes EOL, just because it is Ninjago, which is for many AFOLs Lego for kids. The other problem is that most parents are not willing to spend 350-400 Euro/US$, which would be my lower target selling area. So I will stay away from 70751

This.

9 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

@JM123 No, it wouldn't be great because then that would be another set I would have to stump up the cash for.

You're absolutely right. That 'retiring soon' tag on the tumbler isn't good for any bank account.

Somehow, this temple makes me think about the 10228 Haunted House. A standalone magnificent set from which people wish they bought more of it in the end.

Edited by JM123
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sozial said:

How much different is this than the Monster Fighters Haunted House, though? IMHO the Temple is on-par, if not better than the HH in terms of display-ability and both were in a "kids" line of sets.

Ninjas vs Monsters! Who will win? Hopefully we will. ;)

It could just be one of those sets that falls between 2 stools. Too expensive for the Ninjago kids and too Ninjago for many AFOLS. It may not have the same 'must buy regardless' factor of a modular or a UCS SW set.

If it was to retire early due to slow sales, and remained the only large , expensive Ninjago set for the foreseeable future, then it could do quite well post EOL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, valenciaeric said:

2015´s Sea Cow.....

sea cow is showing attractive stats.

- Relative stock low levels

- Had a short shelf life

- Largest set, second movie coming

- Price indication: rising fast from 250E to a probable 350 in a couple of months is my best estimate

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ZULU said:

- Had a short shelf life

- Price indication: rising fast from 250E to a probable 350 in a couple of months is my best estimate

I'm very surprised more people aren't jumping on this set because of all this. I think it'll rise very soon after its officially retired. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZULU said:

- Had a short shelf life

0 eu sales on ebay so far this month is the stat I am looking at most closely.

• Like 2