Retiring Soon - open speculation

In germany 10188 is only available at TRU.

They are selling on Ebay and if Ebay is not lying to boost sales TRU sold 38pcs of 10188 within 24h, which is a quite high number for germany...

Hopefully after the TRU stock its gone :-)

And I do not wish to have picked up more. That thing is huge, takes space and I guess after the initial spike we will wait some time to break the 600 Euro.

Someone did something similar on the modulars which i found quite interesting (yes i am a bit of a geek) so I put together a bar chart of all the UCS SW sets released since Oct 07 (ok i know not all are officially tagged as UCS but i picked the bigger SW sets) to see if it would enlighten me (and it didn't)

Untitled.png.12dce84e01cd22f14a9c8f59b28

I've used the dates on brickset for the US for when these sets were available (yellow is available atm, numbers highlight the days available).

So what does this tell me?  Pretty much the same as whats been said in the last few pages here :) 
Now would be a consistent time to phase out R5 with EV up next being "replaced" by the battle of Hoth set. Although have to say, it did surprise me how long 10179 was supposedly available for.

• Like 2

Makes good sense Lego_yoda.  I kinda figured myself that they are having capacity issues. Too much demand and not enough production.  It's a bottleneck and Holiday sales are the culprit.

I may be in the minority and simpsons may have only been out a year but I have a feeling those are gonna go, hopefully before next year end.  I could see them ending like the EEE, somewhere out of stock around 3rd quarter.   Seems like they are hardly ever OOS and limit is 1 at SAH.  The series 2 CMF haven't sold out...(haven't checked for a week) and maybe there just isn't enough kazaam for the Simpsons anymore.  I'll stack a couple more on the pile, as I think the KEM makes for a good modular.

All marked as retiring soon on Lego UK

DC
76028 Darkseid
76027 Black manta
76013 Steamroller
76040 Brainiac 

Marvel 
76018 hulk smash
76020 Knowhere escape 

city 
60036 arctic base 
60068 crooks hideout
60075 Excavator
60070 water plane 
60083 snowplow 
60033 arctic ice crawler
60088 firestarter

Friends 

41058 Shopping mail
41057 horse show
41035 juice bar
41036 jungle bridge
41056 News van
41033 jungle falls 
41032 First aid 
41098 Kiosk

41052 Ariels magical kiss 
41054 Rapunzel

SW 

75053 Ghost 
75048 wookie
75046 Police gunship
75044 tri fighter 
75080 AAT
75090 Ezra speeder bike
75052 Mos Eisley 
75043 AT-AP
75051 scout fighter
75042 Droid gunship
75058 MTT 
75045 AV cannon 

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Something to note - a lot of these sets were release a year or less ago.  If these are truly going, then we can definitely point to a change in practice from the 2 year production cycle.

Or they have released so many sets that producing all of them concurrently is disrupting their logistics. I think it is more of a realization that they overdid the number of releases than a change in practice. They bumped into their own capacity constraints and have to trim some of them out of necessity.

• Like 2

A friends cull has been long overdue.   Sorry about the overall size and it’s a bit out of date, but  if you look at the £25 range alone, there is  just way too much product available, and that’s without taking Disney or Elves into consideration.  

14.png

13.png

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

Something to note - a lot of these sets were release a year or less ago.  If these are truly going, then we can definitely point to a change in practice from the 2 year production cycle.

I'm definitely not going to complain about it..  This creates a good opportunity, and judging from the upcoming list that is on brickset, it looks like next year they are producing another large batch of sets, so I see no slowdown in the amount of sets they are producing.  This could mean more sets will be retired less than a year into their cycle as they continue with their rotating door philosophy, which emerged about a year and a half ago. I personally see it as a benefit, because not many resellers can buy across so many different themes, which helps spread around the amount of items that would hit the retirement reseller market. 

• Like 4

Does anyone think that the Temple of Airjitzu is selling like a dog with the recent giveaways and such.   I am sure it has the niche market and asking a lot of Parents to shell out this kind of money for a set that as a theme has a younger appeal might be tough.  I personally love it and I know my 6 year old has asked for it a million times.  I bought him one from santa but am honestly thinking most that buy this for a child are not the norm or going to be like lord business and no playing with it.  

With all the sets coming out and and more bigger exclusives I am starting to think this one might run a short course.   My 2 cents

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Deeker said:

Does anyone think that the Temple of Airjitzu is selling like a dog with the recent giveaways and such.   I am sure it has the niche market and asking a lot of Parents to shell out this kind of money for a set that as a theme has a younger appeal might be tough.  I personally love it and I know my 6 year old has asked for it a million times.  I bought him one from santa but am honestly thinking most that buy this for a child are not the norm or going to be like lord business and no playing with it.  

With all the sets coming out and and more bigger exclusives I am starting to think this one might run a short course.   My 2 cents

my guess is more the other way around. i cant imagine they expected a huge run on the temple, but wanted to move out smaller sets.  though im sure its not selling as well as they would like. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JosephMali said:

The temple has been selling fine. Where is the information coming from that it is not selling well? It is often in the top sellers at Lego.com if their stats can be trusted.

There have now been two deals where the Temple was been offered with a promotional item of much higher value than the typical polybag or small set.  I don't recall seeing that kind of deal on any other exclusive in recent history.  The most common conclusion from this observation is that the larger promotional item is being used to increase sales of a slow mover.  Not the only possibility out there, of course.