Retiring Soon - open speculation

24 minutes ago, Lego_Yoda said:

Or MEC?  I mean those 3 Bith musicians.... you're effectively getting the Dre, 50, and Eminem of the SW universe all in one set.

Cantina is a great set and it will definitely appreciate well post EOL, but it's not an expensive / exclusive UCS set like DS, R5, Tumbler ... 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2015, 6:11:45, TigerG said:

Well when you take a look at the LEGO Shop at Home Europe page you might find that not everything gets a retired mark - when stuff retires they just delete the listing completely. If you think that's not enough confirmation of retirement for you than so be it.

edit: It's officially marked as retired on the UK version of LEGO Shop at Home - all other EU language version sites of LEGO Shop at Home EU just get the listing deleted completely when a set is retired:-)

I have been around a long time.  Official retirement, outside of some screwy EU practices has always been official.  Once it said retired product, that was it.  Sold out kinda used to matter, but not anymore.  Disappearance from the Lego.com site means nothing and never has, they just have lousy IT.  This thread was created for the 100% certain retired update.  The retiring soon speculation thread was created because that is the number one speculation on the forum.  I apologize if I offended you.

17 hours ago, Locutus001 said:

opinions concerning the ghost? I can see this one going up in price after EOL.

If there's one defining set for the Rebels cartoon, it is this one. I really don't think it should be without a Phantom, but after it retires, if the show is still getting support from Disney, it will go up. I was not a fan of the build, you create a brick and then put wings on it. My kids love it because they love Rebels. I think it has a lot more fan appeal than the other Rebels sets. That said, it's not OT or even PT.  Group it in with Clone Wars. It should do about as well as those.

• Like 1

On 19.11.2015, 17:11:07, TigerG said:

Not that anybody cares but two of the Elves sets released this year are call to check at LEGO Shop at Home Europe:

41074 Azari and the Magical Bakery

41072 Naida's Spa Secret

It looks like both sets were removed from the Elves category. Both 41071 (Aira's Creative Workshop) and 41076 (Farran and the Crystal Hollow) are now "call to check availability". The first wave of Elves was released in March and seems to disappear already.

33 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

If there's one defining set for the Rebels cartoon, it is this one. I really don't think it should be without a Phantom, but after it retires, if the show is still getting support from Disney, it will go up. I was not a fan of the build, you create a brick and then put wings on it. My kids love it because they love Rebels. I think it has a lot more fan appeal than the other Rebels sets. That said, it's not OT or even PT.  Group it in with Clone Wars. It should do about as well as those.

There's no universe in which they will do as well as flagship or larger CW sets. Just sayin'.

1 hour ago, waddamon said:

I have been around a long time.  Official retirement, outside of some screwy EU practices has always been official.  Once it said retired product, that was it.  Sold out kinda used to matter, but not anymore.  Disappearance from the Lego.com site means nothing and never has, they just have lousy IT.  This thread was created for the 100% certain retired update.  The retiring soon speculation thread was created because that is the number one speculation on the forum.  I apologize if I offended you.

Wasn't offended - I have lots of issues with the German lego site sometimes and it won't load the english language version sometimes where stuff that disapears into the sunset from the German site can be seen and there it's marked as retired but valenciaeric is thankfully skilled enough and posted the links which did show the sets as retired. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Vinetu said:

Ok, I take 10195 as my champion, let's talk in 5 years ;)

So you're starting with a set that retailed for almost 3X as much? are you going by % growth? So it looks like your champion is at $569.20 with a retail of $249.99 so about +127% growth in 6 years from release. So if we apply the same percentage to the 89.99 retail of the Ghost, it has to top $204.90 in 5 years? It doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility, especially if the show continues and the Ghost is still featured.

1 hour ago, Brenner said:

That is a magnificent set!

The best build I ever made. And I own DS and SSD. Pure AFOL magnificence.

40 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

So you're starting with a set that retailed for almost 3X as much? are you going by % growth? So it looks like your champion is at $569.20 with a retail of $249.99 so about +127% growth in 6 years from release. So if we apply the same percentage to the 89.99 retail of the Ghost, it has to top $204.90 in 5 years? It doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility, especially if the show continues and the Ghost is still featured.

Except that no one will be holding or remembering Ghost for that long because Rebels will be long forgotten by then and when it comes to APPEAL, it cannot hold a candle to it. There is a legion of AFOLs (I've spoken to many of them...) that are ready to pay ANY kind of money to own 10195 and are saving money for it (last guy I met in Delft paid 550€ for it). You wanna know how they all feel about Ghost?

Edited by Vinetu

10 minutes ago, Vinetu said:

Except that no one will be holding or remembering Ghost for that long because Rebels will be long forgotten by then and when it comes to APPEAL, it cannot hold a candle to it. There is a legion of AFOLs (I've spoken to many of them...) that are ready to pay ANY kind of money to own 10195 and are saving money for it (last guy I met in Delft paid 550€ for it). You wanna know how they all feel about Ghost?

"You wanna know how they all feel about Ghost?"

I guess either they just don't want it or they already own it as it is cheap on retrail right now? ^^

Difficult to compare retired UCS sets (right?) to non retired non ucs sets I'd say. Wouldn't come as a suprise to me if the ghost wouldn't perform as well. Anyhow, I don't think it will be a stinker.

Who you gonna call?

Frankly, I try hard to like Rebels after CW, and at moments I really do connect (beer helps :P ). But that ship is just plain ugly, nothing to it. MF copycatting/metamorphosis gone wrong. But again, that's personal taste, it's just that many adults I've spoken to feel the same. I was tempted to take the ship when it was on discount, I liked Zeb minifig, but then with BL it's more easily solved without wasting 65€...

But 10195? Oh my. Without ever watching an episode of CW I would want that set.

1 hour ago, Vinetu said:

Have your malevolence or pre viszla's fighter tell me how much better clone wars fares.

Yeah, but guys seriously, I wonder sometimes if yuo are just a bunch of random Wall Street dudes who never built a set in their lives and have mo love of Lego whatsoever?! I loved CW, but those two sets were just ugly as hell, do you kind of gauge the aesthetic appeal at all before considering a set for investment?!

Just pointing out that anyone can pick out one example from dozens to illustrate a bias. I found the first season of clone wars dull, disjointed, and visually unappealing. The stories got better over time, but there's a bias against non film toys, and my original point was, for long term potential, put the ghost on the same level as clone wars toys. Its importance to the show, if nothing else will lift it up after retirement.