Retiring Soon - open speculation

Guest TabbyBoy
5 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

Ok, but assuming the 1st film is not a disaster, when is the optimum sell out time for OT stuff?

If I had a 10179 in a box, I'd get rid asap as I think it's only a matter of time before it's re-released. Apart from that, any good OT set should be timeless.

Impossible question right now.  For example, these films cover a wide range of eras.  The Rogue One film takes place right before A new hope.  It will have a death star, and i'm sure we will see countless ISD's.  I think the Falcon won't make an appearance, but a red 5 could, and a y-wing could.  

The Han Solo film, which comes out after Ep8 will definitely have a MF, and more than likely a Slave 1 since Boba Fett is rumored to be in that film.  I'm sure it will also have Jabba, and a younger chewy.  Who knows what that could lead to.  Maybe we will see the Cantina reappear, or Jabba's palace, etc.

Then of course the third anthology film is rumored to be based on Obi-wan after the fall of the republic.  Once again, we are back into prequel terrain, so it's tough to say.    And it's hard to hate on prequel stuff completely.  A lot of prequel sets are even showing signs of good returns.  Not all, but most.

Edited by fossilrock

5 minutes ago, valenciaeric said: Ok, but assuming the 1st film is not a disaster, when is the optimum sell out time for OT stuff?

If I had a 10179 in a box, I'd get rid asap as I think it's only a matter of time before it's re-released. Apart from that, any good OT set should be timeless.

What happens if it's not? Many people are like me when it comes to the 10179. They just want to have one. It's a status symbol at this point and even if they come out with a similar set, the "whale" collector will want both.

We could say the same about a Ferrari 250 GTO and prices of those did fall (and came back up again) even though they were getting scarcer. I agree with Tabby, there are limits to what people are going to pay to own a 10179 - with or without a remake and being too greedy might end in tears. Even the laziest, richest dudes are going to end up bricklinking if it goes too high.

Edited by valenciaeric

30 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Many people are like me .........., the "whale" collector .............

25 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

Even the laziest, richest dudes are going to end up bricklinking if it goes too high.

WOW, bold talk there Val. good thing Ed won't take it personally.

;)

Edited by mudcatsfan

38 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

Even the laziest, richest dudes are going to end up bricklinking if it goes too high.

Joke, right?  The laziest, richest dudes are absolutely NOT going to bricklink anything.  Can you image a guy worth $10 million ordering 3000+ pieces, inventorying them, and then putting it together with printed off instructions?  No, ain't happening.  

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

Joke, right?  The laziest, richest dudes are absolutely NOT going to bricklink anything.  Can you image a guy worth $10 million ordering 3000+ pieces, inventorying them, and then putting it together with printed off instructions?  No, ain't happening.  

Truth. He'll be ordering it off Amazon for 15K from me.

• Like 1

IH is not sold out here and BG is call to check.  I´d say all 4 are done for good and that balances with the new 2016 launches but we need to be patient for stock levels to synch out.

DS is now TOOS in Europe.

Why no one is taling more about 21118 Mine having retired quietly in the EU, is beyond me. Flagship Minecraft set, less than a year out, before Xmas. Ching ching

Edited by valenciaeric

1 hour ago, valenciaeric said:

Why no one is taling more about 21118 Mine having retired quietly in the EU, is beyond me. Flagship Minecraft set, less than a year out, before Xmas. Ching ching

Very rarely goes on sale in Canada for this set. Brutal part out value. All the minifigures can be obtained from buy the smaller sets. Don't see how this set is attractive at all.