Retiring Soon - open speculation

48 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

I am excited that I don´t have it! Even with a  buy-in of 36 euros vs 80 RRP, I feel there are just too many of them on the market (and in shops) to flip this Xmas and with the new one onthe horizon, long term value is uncertain. Another production run just makes matters worse.

Although some people on this forum state otherwise, my advice would be to avoid City sets all the time. Even with great discounts, there's just too many people buying this stuff up and flooding the market afterwards - while there is always a high risk of remakes within the theme.

38 minutes ago, Wildemar said:

Next one - it's about time ("Call to check")...

MbnsR0R.png

This one was a scheduled EOL. So no surprise, but good to know some things do not change... for a change. #NOCHAOS

sort of a snoozer - Knight's Castle -  biggest Juniors set (not Duplos) to date has gone SOLD OUT.  i've seen this one frequently on clearance for $35 but still let them go.  50% off would be an ok deal - some parting out potential.

to me, the fact that a set like this has made it to SOLD OUT without having to be discounted tells us that LEGO has for the most part*,  the demand-> production equation dialed in fairly well.  

10676?$leaf$

* - Jurassic world glaring exception which I think has more to do with Universal owning JW  and the fact that Universal is a competitor to Disney and no way was TLG going to let a Disney product shortage occur during the Star Wars reboot.

6 minutes ago, cladner said:

sort of a snoozer - Knight's Castle -  biggest Juniors set (not Duplos) to date has gone SOLD OUT.  i've seen this one frequently on clearance for $35 but still let them go.  50% off would be an ok deal - some parting out potential.

to me, the fact that a set like this has made it to SOLD OUT without having to be discounted tells us that LEGO has for the most part*,  the demand-> production equation dialed in fairly well.  

10676?$leaf$

* - Jurassic world glaring exception which I think has more to do with Universal owning JW  and the fact that Universal is a competitor to Disney and no way was TLG going to let a Disney product shortage occur during the Star Wars reboot.

I picked up several at Sam's Club last year when they blew them out at $19.  Still sitting on them though.

2 hours ago, cladner said:

- Jurassic world glaring exception which I think has more to do with Universal owning JW  and the fact that Universal is a competitor to Disney and no way was TLG going to let a Disney product shortage occur during the Star Wars reboot.

Where is Knight's Castle sold out?  Still showing as available at LEGO Shop at Home for me.  Jealous that others got this for $19...I'd buy a ton of them at that price. 

2 hours ago, exciter1 said:

You always need to be careful with those waist down selfies.

you have no idea how hard it was to get a side selfie while sitting on a box.

42 minutes ago, redcell said:

Where is Knight's Castle sold out?  Still showing as available at LEGO Shop at Home for me.  Jealous that others got this for $19...I'd buy a ton of them at that price. 

born again.  looks like it was short lived sold out.  looks like chaos is even invading juniors.

I don't think anything will retire until January. Lego is probably going balls to the walls making sure they get the top sellers out to everyone for the holidays. Then once the madness is over, they'll review the OOS items and pick which ones to retire. Retiring a set right in the middle of the holiday season just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't think anything will retire until January. Lego is probably going balls to the walls making sure they get the top sellers out to everyone for the holidays. Then once the madness is over, they'll review the OOS items and pick which ones to retire. Retiring a set right in the middle of the holiday season just doesn't make sense to me.

More like March in the US.

34 minutes ago, RTRC said:

Seems the opposite actually happens (perhaps not in name, though) as the fourth quarter is the end of line for the vast majority of sets. They are for all intents and purposes retired.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Veegs said:

Seems the opposite actually happens (perhaps not in name, though) as the fourth quarter is the end of line for the vast majority of sets. They are for all intents and purposes retired.

This. Maybe it doesn't make much sense, to me, but it seems historically true.

10 minutes ago, Veegs said:

Pretty sure this is how it goes down. Lego isn't the only direct to consumer company that uses the holiday season to blow out discontinued stock.

4 minutes ago, Brickson said:

This. Maybe it doesn't make much sense, to me, but it seems historically true.

Perhaps it has to do big product launches scheduled for January every year? 

Perhaps stock is made 'hopefully' to last to the end of a particular holiday season (give or take a couple months) so that the Nov-Dec period is dedicated to producing new sets. Makes sense to me. Not having HH available last Halloween, though... 

20 minutes ago, Veegs said:

Perhaps it has to do big product launches scheduled for January every year? 

Perhaps stock is made 'hopefully' to last to the end of a particular holiday season (give or take a couple months) so that the Nov-Dec period is dedicated to producing new sets. Makes sense to me. Not having HH available last Halloween, though... 

I firmly believe the BP-ers / resellers buying up nearly OOS sets messed up LEGO forecasting models as far as HH was concerned.  They did not count for resellers scooping up every single copy as soon as it hit the stores.

13 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

AT AT 75054 is now sold out at EU Shop.

About big retirements, if we consider SC, ToO and Red5 done, I expect at least one more to go this year - DS, PS or whatever. Official retirement status will likely come in 1Q 2016....

I think all of those will go this year.  We have 2xVIP day coming up, a black friday and cyber monday swarm, and a holiday season.  Those two sets won't be around much longer, I suspect.