Retiring Soon - open speculation

42022 Hot Rod slipped into orange sold out last night. 

And Antman went from red sold out to orange sold out.....???

Still trying to wrap my head around the orange vs red.....still not sure of the significance because there are wide inconsistencies I've read a couple of explanations, but I'm not convinced yet..

Hi All,

Even though I'm on a "lego diet" (budget 2015 is consumed aleady), I could resist a day of shopping yesterday in the Lille (France) Lego Shop.

Except for having to wait 3 hours for a border patrol (thank you IS for messing up our society :/), the experience in the shop as always was great.

Some interesting facts I wanted to share with the community:

1. Wall E comes back corrected in FEB 2016 - none available now.

2. Pet Shop was charged seperately on a special bill (different discount approach as well) from the other purchases.

>>> I suspect that could mean the last are being sold as I write this down!

3. All other items ware abundently supplied. No signs of anything short of stock.

4. Architecture didn't show the older sets. I intended to add some United Nations, White house,... - none available. Only Louvre, Trevi etc there.

5. Came home with the latest mixels: my kids loved them!

6. Cracked open a Parisian Restaurant. Partly to support the victims and Paris in this dreadful weekend, but mostly because the set is so beautiful. (even if I only finished bags 1 for now ;))

Lots of courage for all victims of this terrible attack.

I myself take the train to Brussels 5 days a week, every day more worried...

Take care. 

• Like 4

42022 Hot Rod slipped into orange sold out last night. 

And Antman went from red sold out to orange sold out.....???

Still trying to wrap my head around the orange vs red.....still not sure of the significance because there are wide inconsistencies I've read a couple of explanations, but I'm not convinced yet..

Its interesting that ant man is sold out. Its still available everywhere else.

5 minutes ago, cardkid said:

Until everywhere else runs out of stock. 

I've noticed--and veterans with more experience than me please correct me if I'm wrong--LEGO Shop at Home tends to get stock first and sell out first. This is a general guideline, but one that has held true this fall so far. 

21 minutes ago, chipbee said:

Would that many people want to collect sandcrawler ucs? It is in episode 4 briefly, not a space ship and belong to neither the rebels or the empire.

It's a remade Set. So it seems as if there is enough demand. The new design is pretty good. Price is high enough. Probably one of the better investments. Even though I only bought one so far since I'm not a big fan myself.

50 minutes ago, cardkid said:

no intrinsic demand at the moment.

people always want what they can't have so once its gone from retailers, then the rise occurs.

maybe Antman 2 will be a huge hit and then this set will have its day of glory.

came across Heartlake Juice bar friends on clearance at walmart for $21 - seems like clearance at walmart this year has been a decent harbinger of impending EOL  not that it would be a surprise that Juice Bar went - its more of a surprise that its still around.  Also came across Juniors Police Big escape also for $21. 

13 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

Mos Eisley Cantina is now in red sold out status on Shop at Home.  Is this one leaving with the ISD?  I think they came out at the same time.

I'd suspect it's going, and will be gone soon enough.  All of these vader summer wave 2014 sets, like ISD, AT-AT, Snowspeeder, MTT, and cantina are mostly gone in my area.  I noticed amazon just recently raised the ISD price up 10.00 to 114.00.  So, getting them below 114.00, now seems more improbable, unless you luck into them at TRU (which I haven't seen in about a month).  You can still find cantinas around 54.00 on many sites.  I will say now is the time, if you want more to buy them at that price (as it's probably the lowest you will find them, unless you find them at TRU and use the discount magic).  The lowest I saw these was the may 4th target deal where they sold for about 45, and when walmart discounted them in july for 49.00.  But, at 54.00 that's a great buy-in for this set.  However, act now...because I dont' think that buy-in will be around much longer, especially if you go by what just happened with the ISD.  They went down to 104, stayed there for about a month, and now are rising back towards retail.

Edited by fossilrock

15 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I'd suspect it's going, and will be gone soon enough.  All of these vader summer wave 2014 sets, like ISD, AT-AT, Snowspeeder, MTT, and cantina are mostly gone in my area.  I noticed amazon just recently raised the ISD price up 10.00 to 114.00.  So, getting them below 114.00, now seems more improbable, unless you luck into them at TRU (which I haven't seen in about a month).  You can still find cantinas around 54.00 on many sites.  I will say now is the time, if you want more to buy them at that price (as it's probably the lowest you will find them, unless you find them at TRU and use the discount magic).  The lowest I saw these was the may 4th target deal where they sold for about 45, and when walmart discounted them in july for 49.00.  But, at 54.00 that's a great buy-in for this set.  However, act now...because I dont' think that buy-in will be around much longer, especially if you go by what just happened with the ISD.  They went down to 104, stayed there for about a month, and now are rising back towards retail.

target and walmart sold out of ISD for online shipping in the last day so amazon bumped their price.

great news about Cantina - perfect timing.  definitely right about all these Vader sets fading into the sunset.  stock has dried up.  gonna git sum last minit cantina's - i have 26 of these maybe i can make it to 30 today.   it just seems like yesterday they were newborn...  hard to imagine a set with Bith minifigures isn't going to do well.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

Only thing that worries me about Cantina is it seems like it was ALWAYS on the shelf and was on discount since day 1. Even last xmas when the stores where wiped out of lego I would see at least 5 cantinas in every store I went to. It seems like it may have either been over produced or unpopular. Of course the way I looked at it was, OT set, yes a remake but far superior to the old one, and on discount? Yeah buy them all. So I do have a ton of these...

There was a point earlier this summer where these went out of stock briefly from the may the 4th period at multiple retailers, and amazons price shot up to around 90.00.  I think the cantina is a great investment.

Looks like the Cantina also sold out at Walmart.  2 down, 3 to go.

Edited by fossilrock

My viewpoint on this is a little limited, as I've only been "in the game" since August of last year. I have 3 of these NIB and was able to pick up a used copy in a local bulk lot, and think it's fun build, pretty good model, and great play set (my boys, 6 and 4, love coming to my office just to play with it). 

I'm kinda surprised this wasn't more popular; some of it may have had to do with TRU pricing it over MSRP for most of it's life. I don't think the Dewback maxifig is so desired for fans of SW, but it's got Luke, Obi Wan, Han, Greedo, 3 Bith Musicians, and a Sandtrooper. These are iconic minifigs from an iconic scene in the first movie. Having been remade once, MEC could be remade again, but it probably won't be for a while. 

If you're buy-in was under $50 (and it should have been with coupon/gift card/truth magic), this should be a winner. The piece count is a little on the low side for a set at this MSRP, but it's not unreasonable. It has a maxifig, it has a vehicle, and it has 4 unique minifigs (with Han appearing in only 1 other retired set, 75030). You've got about $40 worth of minifigs here before you price out the Dewback (let's call it $15-20). If this set does retire and disappear from retailer shelves in the next few weeks, Star Wars hype could push this over $100 this holiday season. God forbid the new movie gives us an easter egg like more Bith musicians...who knows? 

I'm going to probably try to sell 1 or 2 on CL if prices start creeping over $100 on eBay, and hold 1 NIB and my used set for long term.

Edit- 222 current listings on eBay. Will be interesting to see if these start getting snatched up or if eBay gets flooded with more listings at higher prices on the "news".

Edited by edgecrusher
added ebay info
  • Like 1

I think the cantina has a lot going for it, because you can't stop at one.  You need 2 or more to make a proper cantina and the piece count in this one is just enough to convince AFOLs that this is a good enough start and design.  Rose colored glasses here, or maybe I picked a bad day to quit sniffing glue.

• Like 2