Retiring Soon - open speculation

15 hours ago, valenciaeric said:

42009 also creeps quietly into SOLD OUT mode on a Sunday at US shop. Interesting for us Europeans to monitor how it sells in other places over the next month or so.

Been trying to get more of this set for monthw but every time I order it from anywhere it arrives destroyed. Got another to return to TRU today. Guess I will just quit at 3 , god clearly doesn't want me owning any more.

I must not be reading it right.  Have there ever been "retiring soon" tags on exclusives?  For all we know,  all that are still online as "sold out" could keep being pumped out well into the next year.  Yeah...EVENTUALLY they will retire,  but with all the extra small lots they dump on the market your bottom end is dropping. Who knows how long they will keep being dumped.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, conceptmachine said:

I must not be reading it right.  Have there ever been "retiring soon" tags on exclusives?  For all we know,  all that are still online as "sold out" could keep being pumped out well into the next year.  Yeah...EVENTUALLY they will retire,  but with all the extra small lots they dump on the market your bottom end is dropping. Who knows how long they will keep being dumped.  

Maersk EEE 10241 was "retiring soon" in US/CAN for a couple months. From what I've seen; items tagged with "retiring soon" are items they want us to gobble up and "help" them clear inventory of, maybe because of slow sales or too much item on hand.

Most exclusives seem to sell through on their own without the need of the retiring soon tag, Maersk potentially having poorer sales in US/CAN could explain why it was given the tag.

• Like 2

75038, 60002 and 42008 are now call to check - expect a retired tag anytime soon. When a product goes from Available to ship 30 days, to call to check to sold out you can be pretty sure it is gone for good e.g. seacow. Toos and straight to sold out are harder to predict and some do indeed come back.

75920 is also call to check!

Edited by valenciaeric

1 hour ago, conceptmachine said:

The only thing that the retiring soon label is useful for is identifying sets that will definitely be retiring soon.  Put differently, the absence of the label from a set that is long in the tooth doesn't provide you any information about whether that set will retire or stick around.  It's basically just a marketing tag. 

• Like 3

ISD 75055 no longer in stock at Target so I decided to check US Shop at Home.  Not sure if anyone bothered to check the DOM so I loaded Firebug to inspect.  

• ISD 75055 Sold Out in Orange  = <li class="availability-future">Sold Out</li>
  • Benny's Spaceship is Sold Out in Red = <li class="availability-questionable">Sold Out</li>

That same red css class is also used for the Death Star (Temporarily out of stock) and Indominus Rex (Temporarily out of stock).

Not sure if this helps or has already been discussed but thought it would be helpful to share.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, valenciaeric said:

42029 also sold out at US shop so that one will have good rarity value across the pond.

I thought 42029 was supposed to stick around another year along with 42030

1 hour ago, MarxMarvelous said:

Me too, but sales have been shocking here so maybe it got pulled early. This will only leave 42030 for next year unless they are planning on extending42025´s life.

Me too, but sales have been shocking here so maybe it got pulled early. This will only leave 42030 for next year unless they are planning on extending42025´s life but with the new helicopter that makes no sense.

Me too, but sales have been shocking here so maybe it got pulled early. This will only leave 42030 for next year unless they are planning on extending42025´s life but with the new helicopter that makes no sense.

28 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

Me too, but sales have been shocking here so maybe it got pulled early. This will only leave 42030 for next year unless they are planning on extending42025´s life.

Shockingly low or shockingly high?

Heh

• Like 1