Retiring Soon - open speculation

1 hour ago, capsa77 said:

If you highlight a red "Sold Out" and then right click the text and hit view selection source, a box pops up that says <li class="availability-questionable">.... Doing same with orange says <li class="availability-future">. I think I remember a lot of times where I've seen a red sold out tag (RE?) only to come back full force later. Orange may have more merit if anything.

You're killing me...

My major concern with ISD and AT-AT isn't possible remakes, it's just that I think these sets are going to be mind bogglingly hoarded. They are easy and obvious targets, and with the number of resellers continuing to rise, I suspect both of these sets are going to have a whole lot of people holding on to them. Cantina as well, and Cantina has the extra strike of being available at 20% discount pretty much since launch. 

Normally I am a big believer in original trilogy sets, and I'd be lying if I said I had none of these, but I am a bit wary about putting too much capital into them. 

11 minutes ago, Achilles said:

My major concern with ISD and AT-AT isn't possible remakes, it's just that I think these sets are going to be mind bogglingly hoarded. They are easy and obvious targets, and with the number of resellers continuing to rise, I suspect both of these sets are going to have a whole lot of people holding on to them. Cantina as well, and Cantina has the extra strike of being available at 20% discount pretty much since launch. 

Normally I am a big believer in original trilogy sets, and I'd be lying if I said I had none of these, but I am a bit wary about putting too much capital into them. 

The same could be said about the Millineum Falcon and X-wing and those did excellent right after retirement IMHO. Granted these sets are not quite as popular as those but they are pretty close. I'm actually surprised that the number of sellers on Amazon isn't higher for these....most Lego Movie sets have more Amazon sellers. That theme sure has been a dud.

I think these will do great. Maybe $180-200 each by next Christmas if both retire before 2016. The question is whether they do both retire that soon.........

Edited by cmartin33

29 minutes ago, Achilles said:

Wasn't Jabba's Palace the same story though? And it seems to be doing fine for anyone who bought at a discount.

2 hours ago, capsa77 said:

If you highlight a red "Sold Out" and then right click the text and hit view selection source, a box pops up that says <li class="availability-questionable">.... Doing same with orange says <li class="availability-future">. I think I remember a lot of times where I've seen a red sold out tag (RE?) only to come back full force later. Orange may have more merit if anything.

VERY interesting. The now is obvious, the future is useful, but the questionable statuses don't seem to be as helpful due to several statuses sharing that tag. 

Sold out = <li class="availability-questionable">

Retired = <li class="availability-questionable"> shouldn't it be MORE than 'questionable?'

Sold out, ships in 30 days (with a button to add to cart) = <li class="availability-questionable"> Shouldn't that be LESS than questionable?"

• Like 1

Personally, I think the AT-AT, ISD, Snowspeeder, and Cantina are all great sets, and better in potential than all the sets in the entire 2014 winter wave.  While, the new tie-fighter and MF has slightly taken down the value of the OT versions, it hasn't been a substantial take down. 

I think all of them will do well over the next year, and yes, I think they are all winding down and will wind down quickly to where they will be hard to find by late winter.  Sort of like all the yoda boxes from this year.  By the beginning of early spring this year, finding yoda box sets was quite rare.

If I remember correctly, the Sea Cow did come back briefly after being the orange sold out status and is now the red sold out status which could be permanent.  Perhaps this could be another status they use instead of the TOOS - check back on certain date for availability.  Maybe these will be back in production for the new year but Shop at Home will not be allocated anything for the next couple months.  Of course this is all contingent upon Shop at Home actually knowing what they are doing or having any accurate forward-looking info from LEGO corporate.

Of course then I go to their website and the recently labeled "retiring soon" sets such as 70145, 41057, 41056, and 76019 are all in orange sold out status but I would think those are more likely to be permanent.  Somebody should call LEGO CS   :notme:

Edited by zskid00
  • Like 1

I think it's more likely that the sold out in one color is a status that is triggered automatically, due to a certain number of sets being sold and the amount in inventory.  The other color is probably set to sold out manually.  Which is which, I do not know.   It prolly has something to to do with the CMS.

Edited by pickleboy
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, mudcatsfan said:

I'd be surprised if a single Cantina is sold at Lego when its SOOOOOOOOOO much cheaper everywhere else. Even with 2x VIP and trains.

If you take advantage of the promos today, if you buy a cantina and a snow speeder that's 99.98 (pretax), which lands one the free ROTS Poster, and a train promo.  The poster will sell for 15.00, and you should get 20 for the train, plus the 2xVIP discount.  

At that point, you're looking at a buy in of 55.00 (pretax) for a snow speeder and a cantina, if you deduct all the sales items you'll have when you sell them, plus the 2xVIP.  That's a better deal than all the other sites right now.  It's just how you play the game.

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, pickleboy said:

I think it's more likely that the sold out in one color is a status that is triggered automatically, due to a certain number of sets being sold and the amount in inventory.  The other color is probably set to sold out manually.  Which is which, I do not know.   It prolly has something to to do with the CMS.

Interestingly, the Advent Calendar went from "Orange" to "Red" over the last day.  However, the Red 5 has sold out multiple times now, and each time it was red.  So, whatever….. I don't think it really matters.  

Edited by fossilrock

43 minutes ago, cladner said:

First series 2 microfighter is now sold out at shop at home usa.  I have zero of these.  Waiting for some clearance action.  Milano spaceship also now sold out.

75072 ARC-170 Starfighter™

• Price $9.99
  • Sold Out

The potential for series 2 is such an unknown since it's heavily prequel focused.  The first series has gone up in value quite a bit, and complete sets are almost at 2x what one would have bought in even at a minor discount.  With series 3 around the corner, i'm staring to think this line has more and more potential if they go 5 or 6 series deep or even further.  The positives are less than a 1 year shelf life, a rather cheap buy-in cost to gather complete sets of a line, and not much storage space to have quite a bit of stock.  I only stocked up on 3 complete sets of series 1, and I sort of wish I would have collected some more.  

My original intention was to blow them all out for christmas, but I decided i'm keeping at least one set of both waves completely mint in the box, and will continue to collect MIB sets in perpetuity until the line is retired for my own personal collection.   I'm also not selling the other sets this year either.