Retiring Soon - open speculation

Because we all know how much Sold Out means now...

Why would they just retire 42028 and leave 42020-42027 as well as 42029 and 42030 around?

Edited by MarxMarvelous

Ant Man 76039 is sold out.  Anyone think that will stick?  I know it's a movie set but that hasn't stopped LEGO from keeping them around the standard 1.5-2 years.  This would be available less than 6 months which seems extremely unlikely.  I don't have enough of this set if it is done though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

Ant Man 76039 is sold out.  Anyone think that will stick?  I know it's a movie set but that hasn't stopped LEGO from keeping them around the standard 1.5-2 years.  This would be available less than 6 months which seems extremely unlikely.  I don't have enough of this set if it is done though.

It's so new but I think this is a slow mover so not sure I'd be really surprised. IIRC, this was discounted early on, where I don't remember...

6 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

It's so new but I think this is a slow mover so not sure I'd be really surprised. IIRC, this was discounted early on, where I don't remember...

Some Wal-Marts clearance them as soon as they hit shelves (even before the movie). Maybe TLG is paying attention to slow sales on other movie franchises as they age. GOTG hasn't exactly been flying off the shelves recently until deep discounts, and now the flagship sets from that line are labeled "retiring soon." Maybe this is just smart business for Lego. It is a stand alone set from a stand alone movie... 

I wouldn't call it a total "slow mover" though--it's #83 in building sets and #827 in toys and games on Amazon. Not flying on the shelves, but people are buying it.

So once again... (most here know the value of this information isn't big)

A store assitant told me today that he'd rather buy the DS sooner than later... On their plan it's going after this year.

I don't know, I don't care (okay I do care! But I already have all DS that I want for my portfolio... and care that it goes EOL soon!), but I just wanted to leave this here.

I don't have any of this set, as I haven't encountered any at discount - But I think this will be a fantastic investment - And, this set disappearing after 6 months would not be shocking to me given that it was a movie tie in. Lone Ranger sets were only out about 6 months too. A one of out of the theme, good chance some (if not all) of these chars might not be re-released for quite some time, if at all - dependent on Ant-Man 2 of course.

I hope it's just pre-holiday stock drain, but it wouldn't shock me if it goes away either.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2015‎ ‎12‎:‎56‎:‎50‎, BrickU said:
On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2015‎ ‎2‎:‎09‎:‎23‎, BrickU said:

Appreciate all the Algebra answers  :geek:

But in all seriousness, have I found a secret?    Perhaps one is permanent vs temporary?  Do some research guys, there is something to this.  Especially after you click on one.  It can go orange to red or red to red etc.  USA SOH only. There's always a method to there madness........

This may have been discussed before but I'm not sure what thread to look in?  Anyone know the difference between Sold Out Sold Out at SOH?

If you highlight a red "Sold Out" and then right click the text and hit view selection source, a box pops up that says <li class="availability-questionable">.... Doing same with orange says <li class="availability-future">. I think I remember a lot of times where I've seen a red sold out tag (RE?) only to come back full force later. Orange may have more merit if anything.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, capsa77 said:

If you highlight a red "Sold Out" and then right click the text and hit view selection source, a box pops up that says <li class="availability-questionable">.... Doing same with orange says <li class="availability-future">. I think I remember a lot of times where I've seen a red sold out tag (RE?) only to come back full force later. Orange may have more merit if anything.

I disagree...

5 minutes ago, trekgate502 said:

orange is the new black and red sells, so Poe's X Wing is on fire

anyways

can you let me know disagree with what portion of that ?

orange has more merit

red is more likely to retire

or disagree with the entire thing ?

I see some of both orange & red where I strongly believe neither is coming back. Could I be wrong, absolutely! Could the orange or red mean something @ the time they're flagged as such, perhaps...

4 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

I think the Sea Cow was orange at one point and is now red.

So, that would imply that perhaps they thought at one point it would (or did) come back. I believe the red is more final than orange...

3 minutes ago, glucapg said:

MTT and MOS ESLEY CANTINA....do you think they're too young to die?

Absolutely not

Nah, I think those are both on their way out. I just see the AT-AT and ISD as flagships of the year so I didn't think they are going to retire now (kind of like Technic flaship sets typically take longer to retire). Anyways, after doing some googling, turns out there are some substantial rumors of a new ISD for TFA. So I'm now on the boat that ISD is going to retire, just deciding on if it's worth putting money into with a remake coming so soon. Depends on the remake cost and price really and the color scheme as we saw in Poes X-wing.