Retiring Soon - open speculation

Thanks for the info.

Other than TOO ( which was predictable because the license ended), was he right before on other sets such as R2D2, Haunted House, and especially Town Hall?

I didn't purchase from his store before all these older sets went EOL. I only just moved into the neighbourhood and realised i had a great lego store 3 mins walk from my place. 

So I only really started buying from him early this year, like Feb onwards :(

Don't forget to check Sydney Opera House!

LOL. If he wanted to clear shop space, he should be giving more discounts! Lego is really expensive here in Singapore. 

2x the US rrp even though exchange rate is only 1.43 to the dollar. 

I still wouldn't buy any tumblers from him. He's selling them at $250 USD after conversion. What a joke. And that's after a 10% members discount.

Edited by Nawoo

LOL. If he wanted to clear shop space, he should be giving more discounts! Lego is really expensive here in Singapore. 

2x the US rrp even though exchange rate is only 1.43 to the dollar. 

I still wouldn't buy any tumblers from him. He's selling them at $250 USD after conversion. What a joke

So, you're saying he's gotta do whatever it takes to move product...?

Would not surprise me to see the Tumbler going in 2016 being replaced by a UCS Batmobile from the new movie. On the other hand it would also not surprise me if they keep the Tumbler in limited production along with the new Batmobile for years to come lol. Fun times.

And the Helicarrier...?

Helicarrier taking too much space in his shop, better slap some Outgoing tags on them eh? Heh. That was my first initial thought. 

Modulars come to his shop every tuesday and they just get wiped clean. 11am they arrive and by the end of lunch, they are all gone. 

Helicarrier taking too much space in his shop, better slap some Outgoing tags on them eh? Heh. That was my first initial thought. 

Modulars come to his shop every tuesday and they just get wiped clean. 11am they arrive and by the end of lunch, they are all gone. 

So his price point is adequate for his customers´ resources - it´s just that outside the US no one cares for Super Heroes sets.....

So his price point is adequate for his customers´ resources - it´s just that outside the US no one cares for Super Heroes sets.....

Actually, Superheroes sets sell very well here. Tumbler is consistently sold out. Just maybe not the Helicarrier. It's like the Millennium falcon of yesteryear. We had a stack of those sitting on the floor of department stores selling for 20% off, and they still took months to sell due to the high price point. But look where it is right now.

Spoke to a few other collectors and they are all not too keen on the helicarrier as well, because they feel that it isn't to mini figure scale, and looks quite blocky and ugly. 

Which could also mean it might be much less hoarded than other sets, which would make a good investment on EOL.

Edited by Nawoo

Actually, Superheroes sets sell very well here. Tumbler is consistently sold out. Just maybe not the Helicarrier. It's like the Millennium falcon of yesteryear. We had a stack of those sitting on the floor of department stores selling for 20% off, and they still took months to sell due to the high price point. But look where it is right now.

Spoke to a few other collectors and they are all not too keen on the helicarrier as well, because they feel that it isn't to mini figure scale, and looks quite blocky and ugly. 

Which could also mean it might be much less hoarded than other sets, which would make a good investment on EOL.

The short lifespan would make it a great investment alone. If true...

It's very possible this shop owner was just trying to move some inventory as others have suggested. But for the sake of discussion, let's say he's telling the truth and he can no longer place orders for heicarrier. Wasn't similar behavior seen this summer with modulers where they were selling out and even talk of early retirement of sets like PR? Turns out TLG was just clearing inventory and restocked with a redesigned box.

Given recent history, if helicarrier dries up now it would seem more likely to me that it would resurface in a month with and "expert" box than retire after seven months. But I guess anything's possible. 

yeah precisely. I'm still quite skeptical.. why release a huge product only to discontinue it less than a year into it's production. has that ever happened before? 

I can only think of Arctic supply plane 60064. That only lasted 4 months

But the Helicarrier is a UCS set and it's huge. Totally different beast altogether.

yeah precisely. I'm still quite skeptical.. why release a huge product only to discontinue it less than a year into it's production. has that ever happened before? 

I can only think of Arctic supply plane 60064. That only lasted 4 months

But the Helicarrier is a UCS set and it's huge. Totally different beast altogether.

There´s maybe a 1% chance - it´s only just become a non SAH exclusive so give it a chance!

Your guy seems to know what he is doing saleswise if he gets restocks every week - here smaller shops are lucky to refill every month. It would be interesting to know if he has a cut off point for ordering this year e.g. end of October as some smaller places do - that could explain wanting to move stuff on to make room.

• Like 1

There´s maybe a 1% chance - it´s only just become a non SAH exclusive so give it a chance!

Your guy seems to know what he is doing saleswise if he gets restocks every week - here smaller shops are lucky to refill every month. It would be interesting to know if he has a cut off point for ordering this year e.g. end of October as some smaller places do - that could explain wanting to move stuff on to make room.

this store that gets all the restocks every week is his flagship store. 

He's been getting lots of modulars in recent weeks, but he said its only because he placed orders for them months ago. So by looking at his order sheets for the next few mths, he told me he didn't see helicarrier or tumbler at all, which led him to suspect they may be EOL soon.

Will try and speak to him tomorrow and see if he has anymore new info for me

this store that gets all the restocks every week is his flagship store. 

He's been getting lots of modulars in recent weeks, but he said its only because he placed orders for them months ago. So by looking at his order sheets for the next few mths, he told me he didn't see helicarrier or tumbler at all, which led him to suspect they may be EOL soon.

Will try and speak to him tomorrow and see if he has anymore new info for me

Rather than these sets, I´m intrigued by what he would have to say about 10240 and 10188 plus the ISD and AT AT! I suppose everyone has their own wishlist, though.

Helicarrier might not be as popular as Lego had anticipated. When a product is not meeting anticipated sales projections, most companies abandon it.

I think it is also the price that might be slowing down sales. Many of my friends like it alot and want one. But it is just very expensive. So they buy the Ferris Wheel or Temple of Airjitzu instead.

In Europe:

Just at a glance, Helicarrier sells 3X faster than the MK II & more than 2X faster than SOH...

Slightly unfair comparison because HC is only just now coming into non lego shops whereas the other sets you mentioned are hard not to find. DS sells better than all of these whereas the stinker so far seems to be the Ninjago temple which is still a lego shop exclusive.