Retiring Soon - open speculation

Abbreviations serve another, wholly different purpose.  They're basically a tribal ritual.  A way for experienced members to show knowledge, and a form of initiation for newbies.  Sure, they really don't save much time, but that's not their main intent.  It's a means to bond the group, and elevate members as they progress in their contributions.  

There's tons of sociology behind this, and in the context of a new medium for tribal bonding (forums on the internet), they make perfect sense.  They arise in nearly all forums, for very basic reasons similar to other rituals which have risen throughout society for ages.

• Like 2

They dumb. This isn't the free masons. Share knowledge. Don't use exclusionary tactics to raise your position. 

Abbreviations serve another, wholly different purpose.  They're basically a tribal ritual.  A way for experienced members to show knowledge, and a form of initiation for newbies.  Sure, they really don't save much time, but that's not their main int...

• Like 1

Tribal rituals?

group jargon.  I don't view it as exclusivity - it's not that hard to figure out and saves from having to type the full set name out.  Number codes would be even better but apparently that is also just toooooo much to remember or figure out.  

Without abbreviations, we would have missed out on the golden era of hilarity had there not been any PEE.

Painting Easter Eggs for those who don't know what PEE is.

Edited by cladner

They dumb. This isn't the free masons. Share knowledge. Don't use exclusionary tactics to raise your position. 

I wasn't defending abbreviations.  I was offering an explanation as to why you see them.  You'll find them in any internet forum you care to visit.  Sure, they may be dumb.  But there's quite legitimate reasons related to social psychology as to why they arise, which I pointed out. They're not going away, I'm afraid. 

Edited by diablo2112
  • Like 1

Abbreviations serve another, wholly different purpose.  They're basically a tribal ritual.  A way for experienced members to show knowledge, and a form of initiation for newbies.  Sure, they really don't save much time, but that's not their main intent.  It's a means to bond the group, and elevate members as they progress in their contributions.  

There's tons of sociology behind this, and in the context of a new medium for tribal bonding (forums on the internet), they make perfect sense.  They arise in nearly all forums, for very basic reasons similar to other rituals which have risen throughout society for ages.

I appreciate the depth and thought in this response, but I believe that same depth is probably lacking when someone changes Pet Shop to PS. It's more a matter of convenience than bonding or tribes. 

I mean, it's a bit like ascribing Jane Goodall observations on dominance and alpha status to a the exclusionary tactics of high school cliques and bullies. Yeah, you're right to a certain extent, but they're also just kind of jerks. 

• Like 2

I appreciate the depth and thought in this response, but I believe that same depth is probably lacking when someone changes Pet Shop to PS. It's more a matter of convenience than bonding or tribes. 

I mean, it's a bit like ascribing Jane Goodall observations on dominance and alpha status to a the exclusionary tactics of high school cliques and bullies. Yeah, you're right to a certain extent, but they're also just kind of jerks. 

I don't think anyone is doing it to be a jerk. To me it really just flows from some really popular ones such as MF, ISD and SSD. and a world with Twitter and texting .. Abbrvs are pretty "normal."

Some people may take it too far but basically I wouldn't read too much into it.

I don't think anyone is doing it to be a jerk. To me it really just flows from some really popular ones such as MF, ISD and SSD. and a world with Twitter and texting .. Abbrvs are pretty "normal."

Some people may take it too far but basically I wouldn't read too much into it.

Doing business on your phone, yes it's convenient.  It's also a PIA to type/text/respond coherently, so it makes many lazy.

• Like 4

Abbreviations, acronyms, and initialisms, only save time for the one typing them out while everybody else ends up getting stuck losing time constantly deciphering them all. It is understandable for those who browse and text via a smartphone but if a keyboard is handy there is no need really.

• Like 1

OMG! ROFL!

• Like 1

Yeah..R5 10240-1: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

we've been waiting for that one to go for a while now. No telling what's up with it at this point. EEE is more or less gone, SC is on its way out too it seems, as is ToO. R5 looked like it was gone, but keeps coming back. Would love to see it go, but I'm not sure it will see a worth while spike this Christmas, at least not high enough for the non-QFLL folk.

we've been waiting for that one to go for a while now. No telling what's up with it at this point. EEE is more or less gone, SC is on its way out too it seems, as is ToO. R5 looked like it was gone, but keeps coming back. Would love to see it go, but I'm not sure it will see a worth while spike this Christmas, at least not high enough for the non-QFLL folk.

I think grabbing red 5's after it hit sold out status is pretty smart at this point.  Just recently a few other sets went that way and now seem retired.  So.. . red 5 seems like it's a 100 meters away from the exhaust port.  WOOOhhoooo..  But I agree that I dont think it's going to be higher than 290 come christmas time.  So, not worth flipping for a set that could easily triple in value..

Edited by fossilrock

Ugh. This thread needs a clean up bad after this evening. lol.

Fine, if we are going to complain, don't just put your set number into your post. Write out the stupid freaking set name. I don't have time to decipher what set 75101 is.

Edit to add: Based on Walmart clearance get 75101 First Order TIE Fighter I'm guessing that's the next to go.

• Like 3

Ugh. This thread needs a clean up bad after this evening. lol.

Fine, if we are going to complain, don't just put your set number into your post. Write out the stupid freaking set name. I don't have time to decipher what set 75101 is.

Edit to add: Based on Walmart clearance get 75101 First Order TIE Fighter I'm guessing that's the next to go.

https://i.imgflip.com/eog27.jpg

• Like 4