Retiring Soon - open speculation

I think you're right about 41999.  Mars Rover "doesn't count" because it's Cuusoo / Ideas.

41999 shouldnt count either as everyone knew it was going to be a limited, numbered, idea like set. if mars rover doesnt count this shouldnt either. we're talking about mainstream production set here, see above ^

Edited by jerryherb

I agree that sets that were known to be or announced to be limited production before they came out don't really count. Everyone knew RI was a short run. Everyone knew 41999 and Mars Rover would be short. Sungnyemun was known to be a limited release (and was still 10 months of availability). No one expected a City set like the Supply Plane to disappear and Zombies was just weird, I still don't fully understand why. So really, it's been two sets so far (with maybe a couple other examples no one has come up with yet).

Research Institute was available for less than a year.

Another Cuusoo / Ideas set.  Cuusoo sets "don't count" because they aren't part of an overarching line that has availability everywhere, and is expected to be readily avaiable. It's supposed to be a "one and done" set (at least, originally).  That all changed with RI and Exo-Suit, but we know that those were originally designed to be a one-time run per their creators.

41999 shouldnt count either as everyone knew it was going to be a limited, numbered, idea like set. if mars rover doesnt count this shouldnt either. we're talking about mainstream production set here, see above ^

You're right, and I forgot about that.  It was labeled as a limited edition run.

I agree that sets that were known to be or announced to be limited production before they came out don't really count. Everyone knew RI was a short run. Everyone knew 41999 and Mars Rover would be short. Sungnyemun was known to be a limited release (and was still 10 months of availability). No one expected a City set like the Supply Plane to disappear and Zombies was just weird, I still don't fully understand why. So really, it's been two sets so far (with maybe a couple other examples no one has come up with yet).

3222, 8/10 - 11/10

8403, 8/10 - 12/10

10173, 10/07 - 12/07

• Like 3

A few sets every year?  I'm going to call you out here - can you name those sets?

I can think of two - 9465 Zombies (available July to October 2012) and 60064 Arctic Supply Plane (available August to December 2014).

I asked this question a couple months ago (probably in the JW thread), and I think we came up with one more.  But that's not indicative of "every year a few sets will retire after only being available for a few months."

#1 Star Wars 2014 V-wing Fighter available from 2/14/14 - 11/28/14 

#2 CIty Helicopter Limousine 3222 available from 8/5/10 - 11/8/10 

#3 most of the lone ranger sets in 2013 were only available for 8 months but that's not surprising otherwise I can't find any sets that retired early in 2013.

#4 Mill Village Raid - available from May 2011 - Nov 2011.

Maybe "few" was a little strong.  "One or two" would have been more appropriate.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

sigh... every time i say this someone calls me on it.  

#1 Star Wars 2014 V-wing Fighter available from 2/14/14 - SOLD OUT 11/28/14 never to return on .

#2 City Arctic Supply Plane 2014 available from 8/2014 - 12/2014 - SOLD OUT never to to return.

I'll come up with some more later.  

I'm honestly not trying to be pissy on this.  But I feel like we perpetuate this idea that there are multiples of sets that retire after three months every year.  But one or two sets doesn't make it true.  (We're up to two sets now for 2014, since I already mentioned Arctice Supply Plane).

I honestly want to see us create a true list for reference so we can put this to rest.

3222, 8/10 - 11/10

8403, 8/10 - 12/10

10173, 10/07 - 12/07

These are ancient.  

What about: 

4643 | 13 May 11 - 20 Jan 12

4202 | 02 Jun 12 - 17 Nov 12

4206-2 | 04 Jan 12 - 14 Sep 12

9472 | 16 May 12 - 21 Feb 13

70010 | 01 Aug 13 - 23 May 14

21107 | 03 Jun 14 - 26 Jan 15

In 2012 some Ninjago sets retired after less than a year (9446 etc.).

And all sets of the final Hobbit and LEGO Movie waves come to mind (I know they are still available in US but in EU they are retired already).

Edited by Wildemar
  • Like 1

Can a MOD please cleanse this thread. Thanks. Deals only people. Post your opinions in the appropriate threads. Thanks.

Not sure if this is a serious request, but you realize this is the "retiring soon - open speculation" thread, right?  Daily Deals is the thread for endless chatter about gift card deals.  Talk about a thread that could use some cleansing...

Not sure if this is a serious request, but you realize this is the "retiring soon - open speculation" thread, right?  Daily Deals is the thread for endless chatter about gift card deals.  Talk about a thread that could use some cleansing...

Mods moved them...

SOH  is down to 64 stock @ SAH.

With no signs of a box re-design does anyone else think this could be slipping out soon before TB. I know the TB box re design doesn't mean its sticking around, but I personally think its a good indicator.

Anyway I've got myself worried enough to buy one before I was planning too. If this goes this year it will do very well indeed.  I'll be keeping a close eye for a restock.