Retiring Soon - open speculation

People were either doubting or waiting for the restock of JW line.  In any case, it is here ;)

Wait, you mean they DIDN'T retire one of the most popular series ever based on one of the most popular movies ever after 3 1/2 months??? SAY IT AIN'T SO!!

Nope JW isn't going away just RE & GT (after 3 months)...

RE is still speculation at this point, albeit speculation that is regularly passed off as 100% fact. I don't even know what GT is.

Well I'm sure their production isn't slow given that they have a huge theme release (SW) happening at the same time. But that's what we bank on right? The impatient gotta have it now clientele.

Lol QFLL to the core ;)

In any case, I played around with my coupons too much and missed the JW sets at K-mart.... this time. I am sure there will be more chances in the near future though ;)

RE is still speculation at this point, albeit speculation that is regularly passed off as 100% fact. I don't even know what GT is.

Not so much speculation as observation.

The set has been SOLD OUT for a greater amount of time than it was orderable.  

Although SOLD OUT definitely does not equal RETIRED, SOLD OUT is a solid step towards EOL.  If it was TOOS or OOS for 30 days no one would care.  It came back from SOLD OUT for 3 days when people ordered them before going back to SOLD OUT.  The sets that people received from shop at home from those orders had seal codes similar to ones picked up earlier indicating no additional production runs to create these sets.

Every year a few sets will retire after only being available for few months.  Its really not that surprising that Raptor Escape or Gallimumums Trap could go soon.  

When reviewing the JW theme on brickset, it is interesting to note that every JW set has about 2:1 WANT:OWN ratio.  No other theme has every set with a greater want than own ratio. Not even Star Wars.

• Like 4

Every year a few sets will retire after only being available for few months.  Its really not that surprising that Raptor Escape or Gallimumums Trap could go soon.  

A few sets every year?  I'm going to call you out here - can you name those sets?

I can think of two - 9465 Zombies (available July to October 2012) and 60064 Arctic Supply Plane (available August to December 2014).

I asked this question a couple months ago (probably in the JW thread), and I think we came up with one more.  But that's not indicative of "every year a few sets will retire after only being available for a few months."

• Like 1

Gallimimus Trap. I know you don't believe sets can last just 3 or so months but check out 60064...

So one set did that. How many tens of thousands do not? And for the record I do believe they can. I just don't believe this one will.

And GT. How many polybags retired only to show up a year later in the latest LEGO Shop at Home promo then have thousands dumped in every Target check out aisle from coast to coast?

When reviewing the JW theme on brickset, it is interesting to note that every JW set has about 2:1 WANT:OWN ratio.  No other theme has every set with a greater want than own ratio. Not even Star Wars.

Exactly, why would they stop making them? Did Arctic Supply plane every have a 2:1 want ratio?

I'm not trying to argue or derail the "daily deals" thread with speculation talk. Sorry about that.

A few sets every year?  I'm going to call you out here - can you name those sets?

I can think of two - 9465 Zombies (available July to October 2012) and 60064 Arctic Supply Plane (available August to December 2014).

I asked this question a couple months ago (probably in the JW thread), and I think we came up with one more.  But that's not indicative of "every year a few sets will retire after only being available for a few months."

Well, the other might have been 41999 - 4x4 Crawler or Mars Rover.

Polybags aside, because many of them do have a short shelf life, we can count the number of very short production run sets from the last few years on one hand.  They have been nearly impossible to predict amid the hundreds of other sets available during this time.  Raptor Escape could join this group but I also think it has a couple things going against it that could prevent it from truly skyrocketing:

1) The Raptor Rampage will still be available and has the main character minifigures.  I think many parents will buy this set instead and call it a day.  Or they'll buy 2 of that set if their kid really wants 4 raptors.  I'm betting the RR is on more wish lists than RE is anyway.

2) Sets like the Zombies and Arctic Supply Plane were here and gone before resellers had enough time to react and scoop up a decent amount of them.  This has helped contribute to the very high prices on the secondary market since the supply is so low.  It seems like resellers have had a larger window to buy RE in bulk and I think that will keep the ceiling lower for a while.

Obviously this set is a no-brainer purchase at retail wherever and whenever you can get it.  There's some risk in holding if a new run is coming, but it certainly has room to grow if it gets marked as retired with no new stock.

• Like 2