Retiring Soon - open speculation

Why would you think that nothing would retire?  TLG is absolutely going to retire sets sometime between now and 12/31.  That is a certainty.  What those sets will be is a question, but there is no chance that we will make it to 1/1/16 without any sets retiring.

Well... I am already very surprised nothing has retired as of yet. Or at least it is still obtainable. So my analysis is that they are trying to keep availability as much as possible. It would be easier for them to just retire a couple of sets. But till now nothing has. 

Well... I am already very surprised nothing has retired as of yet. Or at least it is still obtainable. So my analysis is that they are trying to keep availability as much as possible. It would be easier for them to just retire a couple of sets. But till now nothing has. 

But it's still only July. Although, historically, some sets have retired prior to the Nov/Dec timeframe, the bulk of retirements happen during those months. The fact that nothing has officially retired yet is far more the norm than if we had a wave of sets hitting sold out. And aren't you located in Europe? If so, you have already had a wave of off-cycle retirements...just look at set availability on LEGO Shop at Home.

A load of stuff is retiring at the moment, The Hobbit, Lego Movie, Chima and Agents all seem to be on their way out.

Wait wait wait... isn't there this new wave of Chima and Ultra Agents sets coming out? o.O Don't think they on their way out just right now, since the new wave isn't yet released.

Hobbit and LEGO Movie yes, as well as the old waves of Chima and UA

Wait wait wait... isn't there this new wave of Chima and Ultra Agents sets coming out? o.O Don't think they on their way out just right now, since the new wave isn't yet released.

Hobbit and LEGO Movie yes, as well as the old waves of Chima and UA

I mean last years Chima and Agents, they're all done, being very heavily discounted everywhere. Shops are clearing them to make room for new stock.

I think it depends what you mean by retired, as lots of sets have retired

(Marvel/DC/SW sets that are UK retired 2015)

76002    Apr-13    Jan-15
76008    Mar-13    Jan-15
76014    Mar-14    Jun-15
76009    Apr-13    Jan-15
76006    03-Mar    Mar-15
76019    Jun-14    Jun-15
76005    Jan-13    Jan-15
76003    Apr-13    Jan-15
76016    Mar-14    Jun-15
76022    Jun-14    Jun-15
76021    Jun-14    Jun-15
75000    Jan-13    Jan-15
75001    Jan-13    Jan-15
75035    Jan-14    Jun-15
75036    Dec-13    Jun-15
75015    Jun-13    Jan-15
75041    Jan-14    Jan-15
75003    Jan-13    Jan-15
75016    Jun-13    Jan-15
75004    Jan-13    Jan-15
75024    Jun-13    Jan-15
75017    Jun-13    Jan-15
75050    Jun-14    Jun-15
75005    Jan-13    Jan-15
75019    Jun-13    Jan-15
75020    Jun-13    Jan-15
75021    Jun-13    Jan-15

If you're talking about large or exclusive sets, sure different story, but in the context of capacity, removing these and all of the other standard sets, then this opens up a lot of capacity for new product, and it’s these sets represent Legos core business.

Edited by feed

But it's only July.  Although, historically, some sets have retired prior to the normal timeframe for retirements (i.e., Nov/Dec), the vast majority of retirements happen much later in the year.  Also, if you're in Europe, there have been a number of off-cycle retirements already.

But it's only July.  Although, historically, some sets have retired prior to the normal timeframe for retirements (i.e., Nov/Dec), the vast majority of retirements happen much later in the year.  Also, if you're in Europe, there have been a number of off-cycle retirements already.

Maybe you are right. I am just seeing more and more sets coming available and not so many disappearing. Maybe it is just me. I am seeing it wrong. But for sure it is very busy on the lego aisles.

• Like 1

Update for Ewok Village on LEGO Shop at Home

We're sorry that this set is not available. Please check back in January for product availability.

At least, it will be binge time for Christmas US second market!

(still quite a big stock in EU)

Edited by denosya

Now that is a message that is directed towards resellers.  Game on!

Or could it mean, when you check in January it changes to "retired product".  I personally think this set is done, especially to make room for the Hoth Rebel Base, a new Death Star, and who knows what else they have cooked up for the new movies in terms of large exclusives.  But, I think EV is done..

Or could it mean, when you check in January it changes to "retired product".  I personally think this set is done, especially to make room for the Hoth Rebel Base, a new Death Star, and who knows what else they have cooked up for the new movies in terms of large exclusives.  But, I think EV is done..

True... they do not state they are making more. Just to check back in January. 

Would Lego be so evil?

Sure, but why write something like that?  The Tumbler was a few months old when something like that was posted, so I can understand.  This set?  It could backfire on LEGO though if people want to flip this set this XMAS.  Could be a winner...twice...LOL

By telling people this set will be unavailable for another 5-6 months...in the middle of STAR WARS Madness, this could be very interesting.

Edited by Ed Mack
  • Like 1

I think it's a similar case to the Simpsons House. A set that is somewhat niche, doesn't move a ton of units, and is in stock many other places besides Shop at Home. So there's no point in doing a production run just to get some inventory at Shop at Home when they're clearly trying to churn out as many Episode 7 sets, Scooby Doo, etc. as possible.

I'm on my laptop now and am able to hopefully shed some light on my ramblings.

1. Spoke to my lecturers (2x professors, one in Markets and Competition and the other International Business).

2. Gave them a quick overview of the antics that LEGO has been pumping out.

3. The conclusions that Cigilone has came to, "apparently" LEGO is trying to create enough stock to tie them over until the end of the year. This will allow them to slow down production on non-SW ep7 sets and shift their focus and energy into flooding the market with the SW line. 

4. (My thoughts) Are we pissing off LEGO by constantly depleting their "reserve" stocks, thus potentially creating a shortage of non-SW related sets towards the end of the year (If point 3 is correct)?

Hopefully that makes more sense, if not, I'm going to run away!

Update for Ewok Village on LEGO Shop at Home

We're sorry that this set is not available. Please check back in January for product availability.

IF both of these are true, and the horde does what it does best, this is going to be a very lucrative selling season for the QFLLs out there!
  • Like 1

Sure, but why write something like that?  The Tumbler was a few months old when something like that was posted, so I can understand.  This set?  It could backfire on LEGO though if people want to flip this set this XMAS.  Could be a winner...twice...LOL

By telling people this set will be unavailable for another 5-6 months...in the middle of STAR WARS Madness, this could be very interesting.

I guess the flip side to this is if Lego wants to mess with resellers, they post this message, let the resellers buy up all the stock, then they'll unload inventory 6-8weeks before Xmas.