Retiring Soon - open speculation

Tower Bridge out of stock  - that is new right?

Orthanc not "sold out" anymore: out of stock

WTF does SOLD OUT mean when ALL of them are coming back?!?

Of or relating to an event where all [Lego set]s have been sold

OR use the urban dictionary definition

When the Lego Group promises you that [Lego set] is sold out and flippers can make their profits, then the Lego Group backs out.  Hypocritical sellout, that Lego Group!

• Like 1

all modulars back in stock @ LEGO Shop at Home europe except ds - 9/11 ;)

They were always gonna come back. Clearly this wasn't the more typical Sold Out status we're used to. I suspect they were just labelled Sold Out because they weren't exactly sure how long it would take to resolve whatever issue they were having, and SO was as good a label as any. I doubt they gave much consideration to what resellers would make of it all.

I think temporarily out of stock would have been more appropriate then. They are either stupid and clueless, or very tactful in how they are manipulating the consumer. Stock levels maybe they can't control as much, however misleading wording is something else altogether.

I think temporarily out of stock would have been more appropriate then. They are either stupid and clueless, or very tactful in how they are manipulating the consumer. Stock levels maybe they can't control as much, however misleading wording is something else altogether.

Seeing the care they take not to disclose retirement dates for the sets I don't believe they are clueless. I believe is the latter. Nowhere have TLG mentioned in legally binding terms that 'sold out' means 'retired'. That is only our interpretation of the status. It is not uncommon for organisations to use such market trends that have evolved over time to their benefit. Specially in times of financial trouble such as the one the Euro is having of late.
  • Like 1

Fair point, TOOS would have better. But like fahadshahid said, they've never made it clear what SO actually meant to begin with. It only seems misleading to us because SO usually meant a set was on the way out. But there had been exceptions and this was only our interpretation of SO, and not Lego's. They're not really under any obligation to let us know when a set is nearing EOL or what SO means to them, apart from the fact that it can't be ordered at that time.

Also, given their CS was telling people who contacted them that the sets would be back and it was just a glitch, they can't really be accused of misleading the consumer either. So I suppose from here on in, we can't look at SO as meaning what it used to mean to us in the past. At least not with the same level of confidence.

Today´s stock data shows that most of the items put to sold out have now recovered their former stock levels (revised down after a week´s orders).

These items should all receive fresh stock at the beginning of August.

Conclusion, it was indeed a computer glitch.

• Like 1

Today´s stock data shows that most of the items put to sold out have now recovered their former stock levels (revised down after a week´s orders).

Do you mean they were actually telling the truth?  I have a really hard time believing this wasn't another curve to foil investors...now where's that tin foil hat I just made?

interesting PR now has 21 sets in stock when previously (pre-glitch) it had around 330 (although from the lego LEGO Shop at Home site it shows it will get fresh stock in august as you said).

and pet shop went from 1300 to 300!

other observations:

• ISD is now at 28 (i think it had several hundred pre-glitch)
  • Kwik E-mart which went back up to 4200
  • birds is OOO till end of August
Edited by wceagles

interesting PR now has 21 sets in stock when previously (pre-glitch) it had around 330 (although from the lego LEGO Shop at Home site it shows it will get fresh stock in august as you said).

and pet shop went from 1300 to 300!

other observations:

• ISD is now at 28 (i think it had several hundred pre-glitch)
  • Kwik E-mart which went back up to 4200
  • birds is OOO till end of August

Where are you getting the numbers? They're not on Brickiest yet...