Retiring Soon - open speculation

If it is just a glitch then not sure why it hasn't been fixed by now.

In reality I'd be surprised if they were all done or could this be the start of skynet taking over???

Skynet Global Takeover Priority List:

1. Mess with lego resellers' heads by manipulating statuses of lego sets on non-US LEGO Shop at Home sites

2. Launch entire US nuclear arsenal, targeted on human population centers foreign and domestic

The only problem I see with this theory is that step 2. pretty much eliminates the need for step 1.  Or it could be that Skynet has a sense of humor and wants to have some fun with us before wiping out all humanity (I assume the Banhammer is already under direct Skynet control).

Is that source a Lego employee? I was told the same thing.. DS is sold out and never coming back, and they said that the warehouse in Europe is empty and waiting for a new run with respect to the modulars. How is this possible? Only one thing: All the stock of the three modulars is being shipped to the US probably. Furthermore, there was according to brickset also a 200+ stock on DS, where did that go? Also US?

I really think Lego employees had a briefing about 'what to tell to panic customers / resellers today'.. some BS story. I don't think anything is coming back. it's simply no coincidence and they are trying to tell you a BS story about an empty warehouse and new production runs. 

I won't be surprise if some of those DS are send to Lego's B&M or Legoland 

• Like 1

Yes, TLG does know how much the production of a set will cost beforehand but only for a certain amount of units produced. If they're producing less units of a set than estimated, then each unit will be more expensive to produce as the share of fixed costs (designing the set, creation of set specific moulds etc.) is higher in relation to the share of variable costs. In case they're producing more units of a set than planned, and are able to sell them, then each unit will obviously be cheaper to produce as the share of fixed costs decreases.

Even when a set is still profitable to produce, there will almost always be a set that's more profitable. Then, TLG has to decide how many of these sets they want to have available at the same time.

Excellent explanation.  Thanks.  The highlighted point is the key.  Being that their production capacity is finite, they have to make choices.  This new STAR WARS movie is making them make choices they never did before.  

Skynet Global Takeover Priority List:

1. Mess with lego resellers' heads by manipulating statuses of lego sets on non-US LEGO Shop at Home sites

2. Launch entire US nuclear arsenal, targeted on human population centers foreign and domestic

The only problem I see with this theory is that step 2. pretty much eliminates the need for step 1.  Or it could be that Skynet has a sense of humor and wants to have some fun with us before wiping out all humanity (I assume the Banhammer is already under direct Skynet control).

Or it is skynets revenge for the possible retirement of Mindstorms EV-3.

Now production of all exclusives is halted and mass-production of Sky-net controlled Mindstorms EV-4's will start. Slowly invading innocent consumer's houses to later take over the world.

I'm not buying any PR until Ed posts in that thread "very soon this will be the busiest thread on this site.

By then its too late! The best advice from this forum is to acquire them early while its available before the F5 madness begins.

Edited by tacsniper

Having a bunch of sets hit "Sold Out" at virtually the exact same time is pretty coincidental.  Maybe they have Stephen Hawking running algorythms so that multiple sets that sell at different rates get produced then sell out at exaclty the same time.

By then its too late! The best advice from this forum is to acquire them early while its available before the F5 madness begins.

It depends on your tolerance for risk, available storage space, cash flow needs, and ultimately maximizing your CAGR:

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/13117-cagr-discussion-on-when-to-buysell/

I try to hit my baseline quota towards the end of EOL and panic buy after that.  If something vanishes quickly and unexpectedly like Town Hall, I'm left with only F5, which is a risk I'm willing to take.

Edited by BrickLegacy

Maybe it's not a glitch and inventory is being redistributed.

Where is the inventory going, the moon?

I could see them moving DS, kwiki, PS and PC to US, faster sales and strong dollar.  but PR? Thats the one that throws things off.

PS.  was ISD "sold out" in EU already? or is that new

Edited by jay4e

You guys are all making the assumption "the glitch" is easy to fix. We have surmised that the retail system is separate from the online system because when someone is banned from S@H they can still use their VIP points in store. As computer systems evolve, it gets more difficult (and expensive) to integrate them... so companies don't. It's highly unlikely their production scheduling, inventory management, S@H and retail systems have much in common aside from some crude interface to pass information between them.

If it is indeed just "a glitch" which was caused by human error pushing data through, or some automated process that has had a hiccup, it could take days to resolve. Quick fixing can potentially cause more problems and any good company will know it. Just because LEGO's S@H website consistently craps the bed doesn't mean they can't make _some_ good decisions.

If it's inventory redistribution, it's possible that the problems from earlier this year in California with dock workers hasn't completely resolved itself... or that they have more than one inventory system and they don't speak well.

We just don't know but you all are free to drive yourself crazy speculating.

• Like 3

Very very unlikely. People have reported CS says you can place orders over the phone.

No possibility to order. They were saying they don't know when new stock arrives.

Do we know which of these is true for LEGO Shop at Home Europe ?

I saw someone on here as well saying they were taking phone orders.