Retiring Soon - open speculation

Too much useless posts here (I mean, even for a speculation thread).

See ya tomorrow.

I'll speak with the other mods if a brief thread lock for clean-up is needed at this point.

However, this is a speculation thread although content (thoughts are not "fact") could be presented better...

• Like 1

Back on topic, which will retire first, DS or Slave I ?

Personally I think DS will last until mid 2016. Since its release date, I have yet to see a Slave I at Lego B&M. With more overall sets on its production line and increased demand, Slave I could stick around for awhile. DS has maybe one more big production run (if that) left since the turnover appears to be so slow and most resellers hit their queue 12+ months ago. 

Personally I think DS will last until mid 2016. Since its release date, I have yet to see a Slave I at Lego B&M. With more overall sets on its production line and increased demand, Slave I could stick around for awhile. DS has maybe one more big production run (if that) left since the turnover appears to be so slow and most resellers hit their queue 12+ months ago. 

*PURE SPECULATION*

I think DS stays until 2017.  At this point DS is the cheap money maker for LEGO, any initial investment on design and mold have been paid off long time ago.   Especially with the new SW movie coming out, this thing will stay.

What are everyone's thoughts on the Sea Cow and Benny's Spaceship?

I've targeted these sets, and it feels like they could be going sooner rather than later.

Have any of the first wave Lego Movie sets been marked Retired or Sold Out yet?

The only one retired is the CMF.  Most of wave 1 have been marked Sold Out and/or discounted on S @ H, except for Spaceship3x and Sea Cow

Edited by Darth_Raichu

I've targeted these sets, and it feels like they could be going sooner rather than later.

I feel like those two are big and unique enough to stand on their own even with the rest of the line retired.

Kind of like the Tower of Orthanc, or Kingdom's Joust, etc.

If they do go, they're a sure winner, if they don't it just says even more about their desirability that Lego is selling enough to keep them around.

seems like a win/win 

Edited by mudcatsfan

I don't think Lego intends that exclusives should outlive the other sets in their theme.  It just sometimes works out that way.  DA retired, more or less, the same year as the rest of the Harry Potter line.  HH lasted 3/4 year beyond other MF sets, but I would guess that was just due to slower sales for a $180 set.  The deal with Sea Cow is that the LEGO Movie line isn't gone yet.  New sets just came out this year.  Right now I'm acting on the assumption that Sea Cow will remain until the LEGO Movie line generally dies off, or another LEGO Movie exclusive appears.  Benny on the other hand is probably about due for retirement, given the generally short life span of other sets in the theme.

Two personal, and "in my opinion" observations on this post...

1. If you are going to persuade others of a retirement date, do so as you please, but simply put IN MY OPINION before pleading your case and posting your missive. We all have perspectives/experiences/beliefs on when things are going to go. If you state it is your opinion or analysis that a set is retiring- along with your rationale- most members will appreciate what you have to say, even though they may respectfully disagree.

2. This is an International forum; for myself it's nice to keep in mind that some fellow posters are writing in English as a second or third language. If you weren't born speaking it, it's a tough one to speak- and considerably harder to write.

• Like 5

If some of these sets make an appearance in the next movie, I doubt they will be retired.

Like the first Quinjet? Or R2? 

If you weren't born speaking it, it's a tough one to speak- and considerably harder to write.

LOL I disagree, I still struggle with speaking sometimes while writing is as fluent as it can be practically. It is usual though that native speakers of any language perceive writing more difficult since it is not engraved in early childhood and has to be learned consciously.

• Like 1

Benny's was in the most recent catalog. Would they waste valuable square inches on the page for something that is almost gone? I'm new at following this so I don't know if there is precedent.

These past few pages are the same speculation that happened last Fall when TH, HH, R2 and others vanished. LEGO has shown that they DO NOT base their retirement schedule on what is happening outside of the company. They do correspond new releases with certain events but retirements are going to happen whether we think it's not "next in line" or "it couldn't because a movie is coming out." Quit finding reasons to wait on a purchase if you have the money, buy buy buy.

Edited by Frogger21
  • Like 1

I don't think Lego intends that exclusives should outlive the other sets in their theme.  It just sometimes works out that way.  DA retired, more or less, the same year as the rest of the Harry Potter line.  HH lasted 3/4 year beyond other MF sets, but I would guess that was just due to slower sales for a $180 set.  The deal with Sea Cow is that the LEGO Movie line isn't gone yet.  New sets just came out this year.  Right now I'm acting on the assumption that Sea Cow will remain until the LEGO Movie line generally dies off, or another LEGO Movie exclusive appears.  Benny on the other hand is probably about due for retirement, given the generally short life span of other sets in the theme.

I agree with the above, the Sea Cow is in many ways the "flagship" of the line, pun intended, even if it was released later on. The fact that Lego did release it later actually I think was a great one, it gave people time to get aquatinted with the theme and of course see the movie. The concept of the Sea Cow is too far reaching for most people without the context of the Lego movie present in their minds. By that I mean, well, it should be obvious. Look at it, SteamPunk, a Cow? on a ship? I mean, it`s awesome, it`s my favourite TLM set thus far, it`s a beast, but most people would have looked at it and wondered "what the heck is that?" if they hadn`t seen the movie or weren`t familiar with the new line in general.

Most people buy the products they "feel" most aquatinted with, that applies to everything. It`s all about image, the image in the buyer`s mind of the product. Context needs to be provided in order to sell said product, so introducing radically different items to the market (like the Sea Cow) without providing any connection or association to another more familiar feeling product line, would result in people not having that feeling of connection with the product, and thus it wouldn`t sell. 

Ok, it is the Retiring Soon thread, so I`ll tie up that point with something more appropriate. A set like this without context in the market isn`t going to sell nearly as well as other more familiar products do. Following that logic, Lego will not retire the set after other Lego Movie sets have been (it will not be the last to go, I`d put money on it). It needs the other sets available to provide the context of the theme, and inspire more people to buy it. It could go before other Lego Movie sets retire, because logically it can`t go after, but my guess is it will hang around until most/all of the other sets are put to rest. Then the Sea Cow will retire along side. 

If Lego keeps releasing new Lego Movie sets up until the release of the sequel , that means another couple of years in release, which if you think about isn`t that long ultimately. 

So, to summarize, my guess is the Sea Cow will stay available until the Lego stops making Lego Movie sets available, or before the release of the second film, in which case they will want to bring in a new context (the storyline and elements of the 2nd film) to the market. Unless the Sea Cow is featured heavily in the sequel, which I doubt, it will be gone before then. 

• Like 5