Retiring Soon - open speculation

So we have reports from another thread that the Ewok Village is not in the upcoming catalog. I don't put much stock into what's present in the catalogs but that one strikes me as odd since it's pretty much the definition of a catalog-worthy show piece to get the kids kicking and screaming and making mom and dad drive them to the Lego store.

Local Lego store recon report 3/2/15:

Still no sign of Red 5. Missing for over a month now.

This is the first time I've been there that ToO was not on the shelves.

Pet Shop disappeared about two weeks ago and is still MIA.

This is the first time I've been there that Palace Cinema was not on the shelves.

Lots of Exosuits lying around. No RI.

There were about 4 Simpson Houses.

• Like 1

So we have reports from another thread that the Ewok Village is not in the upcoming catalog. I don't put much stock into what's present in the catalogs but that one strikes me as odd since it's pretty much the definition of a catalog-worthy show piece to get the kids kicking and screaming and making mom and dad drive them to the Lego store.

Exclusive omissions from the USA spring 2015 catalog include Red5, Ewok Village, Tower of Orthanc, Sea Cow, and EEE.  PS and PC are both in it.

It is a lot better reading than the last few pages of this thread.  If you don't have it yet, you should sit by your mailbox at wait for it.

• Like 4

I'll summarize for everyone....

Hxckid88 is no longer the worst typos, Grammer, speller on brickpicker. I held that crown proud for past 3 in a half years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Brickpicker mobile app

I am still secretly hoping he will mention hotcackes. Or TRU parking lot. Or at least how he owns several multi-million companies.

Or, you know, maybe an insane idea, stop worrying about retirement dates, develop a plan and hit your goals early. That way, you really don't care when something retires.

I know...crazy talk around these parts. Lol

If you're an 'Ed', and your goal is to buy A TON of any one set, then yes.

If you only want one or two, then that's not the most efficient use of your funds nor your space.

You had to give the answer away ?

Sorry, someone needs to moderate me.

Someone missing this guy?

post-31479-14253524334243.jpg

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

This would make a great BrickPicker Jeopardy question.  "What do you think of when you see this image?" 

--- HOTCAKES TREBEK!

• Like 2

If you're an 'Ed', and your goal is to buy A TON of any one set, then yes.

If you only want one or two, then that's not the most efficient use of your funds nor your space.

I'm going to disagree.  If you are trying to QFLL, then yes, you are correct.  You shouldn't be looking at items like exclusives as something to maximize your funds and your space.

But, if you are investing, then it is efficient.

Here's why:  Just this week, I sold two sets that were some of the first investments I made.  I made 2-2.5x my buy in on them.  They were not smart investments.  I bought them before I even knew there was a forum here.  (I wouldn't find the forum for almost another year).

Now, imagine that you've been slowly buying over the last two years.  If you're smart about what you buy, you can start selling off for 2-3x your buy in.  You're making nice profit.  And you just keep rolling.

It takes time and commitment.  But, if you start and plan ahead, then you're on this rolling cycle.  That's certainly been a strategy I've tried to employ - buy and hold for at least two years.

Sure, I get involved in the QFLL stuff all the time.  But for my investment purposes, it's buy and hold, and hold and hold and hold.  I'm not worried about PS retiring, because I've already hit my (small time) quota on it.  When I'm talking investments, I'm going to buy stuff that I will hold onto for awhile.  And I've got to manage it smartly - I only have half of a garage to operate in.  And trust me, I have to get creative, and every couple of weeks I exclaim, "I won't buy any more Lego - I'm out of space!" and yet, I still manage to find space for things that I know will be sitting here for a couple of years.

• Like 4