Retiring Soon - open speculation

so the TB is currently back-ordered again at LEGO Shop at Home.  Which of course could mean absolutely nothing, but I am wondering whether there has been any sort of announcement of a new expert build a la Taj Mahal, Tower Bridge, SOH?  Reason being is that I would want to believe that Lego would want a selection available of at least a couple sets before retiring either TB or SOH. At least that seems how the modulars seem to run.  Could be two completely different selling models though I guess.

Did we learn squat from the TH experience? The logic is gone. Future retirements will come like a thief in the night.

We could have learned that TLG merely follows rough patterns rather thanstrict rules when it comes to retirements. Then again, we kinda knew that before, didn't we?

I would just think that rather than ending a lucrative product such as TB, you would want to create another product around the same price range for those not willing to stretch for SOH but wanting that massive creator set experience.

Or maybe just kill the SOH...

I think the retiring the mini SOH is telling.

Edited by dcdfan

I don't know if age or availability is a primary determiner, but looking at the LEGO Shop at Home site and the number of sets you are allowed to purchase, and I get these as the most restricted sets with only 1 or 2 allowed for purchase at a time. TB is still at medium throttle like the rest of the sets with a max of 5.  I'm kinda new at this and haven't had the opportunity that some of you have had watching exclusives go on sale, retire, and appreciate over the years, and I'm probably trying to see too much in the data ...

Item Theme Title lego max Retail Year 10188 UCS Death Star 2 400 2008 10234 Advanced Sydney Opera House 2 320 2013 10237 LOTR LOTR Tower of Orthanc 2 200 2013 10240 Star Wars Red Five X-Wing Starfighter 2 200 2014 42030 Technic VOLVO L350F Front Loader 1 250 2014 71006 The Simpsons The Simpsons House 1 200 2014 75060 Star Wars UCS Slave I 2 200 2014 76023 DC Universe The Tumbler UCS 1 200 2014
  • Like 1

Let me try that table again - copy and paste from a spreadsheet looked great in the discussion board, but pretty ugly in the post.

Item  Theme        Title                     lego max Retail Year
10188 UCS          Death Star                   2      400   2008
10234 Advanced     Sydney Opera House           2      320   2013
10237 LOTR         Tower of Orthanc             2      200   2013
10240 Star Wars    Red Five X-Wing Starfighter  2      200   2014
42030 Technic      VOLVO L350F Front Loader     1      250   2014
71006 The Simpsons The Simpsons House           1      200   2014
75060 Star Wars    UCS Slave I                  2      200   2014
76023 DC Universe  The Tumbler UCS              1      200   2014
  • Like 2

I would just think that rather than ending a lucrative product such as TB, you would want to create another product around the same price range for those not willing to stretch for SOH but wanting that massive creator set experience.

the piece count for the price will never ever happen again in regards to tb.