Retiring Soon - open speculation

If Lego bumped the price to $500, I could see them keeping DS around.  Because $500 is where they'd price that set if it came out today.  It's an amazing deal for the pieces, minifigs, etc.  I'd also like to see them correct the spelling of Tarkin's name on the box (Tarken?  Really Lego?).  I can't believe they don't proof read this stuff...

I'm just surprised they continue to pump out the minifigs for it, since they are mostly.outdated molds.

If Lego bumped the price to $500, I could see them keeping DS around.  Because $500 is where they'd price that set if it came out today.  It's an amazing deal for the pieces, minifigs, etc.  I'd also like to see them correct the spelling of Tarkin's name on the box (Tarken?  Really Lego?).  I can't believe they don't proof read this stuff...

Tarken is the Danish spelling. 

*cough, cough*

I wonder what there reasoning is behind this bump $5 each time.......between the Creative Tower on Walmart? Is it possible that a set like this could be carried year round as an exclusive online? Why Not? Why does Lego get so "creative" no pun intended with the classic bricks & changes the box size & colors each year? Its not like they haven't been around for 60 years.

Just to add a little fuel to the fire... I also wonder if its possible that the DS never retires? I mean who's to say it will for sure? Could it be the only Star Wars set to continue to be produced without the Trademark?

Its a 2 for Tuesday on a lazy Saturday.

Rare case when seal codes do help at least a little bit. Couple of creative towers showed up with 16R4. So, it is not a new run, yet...

It would seem that every time someone at Lego proposes retiring DS, a higher-up replies 'Evacuate now, in our moment of triumph?  I think you overestimate their chances!'.  And so a new production run begins...  At the least, it would be nice for 10240 to take down 10188 on its way out.

• Like 1

I do not think that LEGO will retire the power functions anytime soon.

They will add new items to this line and probably exchange some of the old items for better ones over time though.

Power functions really are cool and they make LEGO so much more appealing to A LOT of people.

I wasn't clear enough, I was thinking about motors (let's say a more powerful version instead of this one from 2008), not the PF itself.

And about trains, this part:

http://brickset.com/sets/containing-part-6124610

So my thoughts were all about new motors versions. Maybe. That's what I was wondering.

Could this part (for instance, seeing that 60051 and 60052 sets are sold out this soon) be replaced by a new one ? Or maybe replaced by the classic PF motor included in the 8293 set ?

I wasn't clear enough, I was thinking about motors (let's say a more powerful version instead of this one from 2008), not the PF itself.

So my thoughts were all about new motors versions. Maybe. That's what I was wondering.

Could this part (for instance, seeing that 60051 and 60052 sets are sold out this soon) be replaced by a new one ? Or maybe replaced by the classic PF motor included in the 8293 set ?

I don't see why not. The EV3 got all new motors compared to the NXT, better motors. Motors are something that I wouldn't advice to hold long-term, at least not in general. Newer motors _might_ even be compatible, and if they are they are most likely better than the old - so why buy the old ...

I had to check and make sure you aren't living in Scotland.  For a moment, I thought you were Liz in Kirkcudbrightshire.  (Please, someone tell me you get the reference).

It would seem that every time someone at Lego proposes retiring DS, a higher-up replies 'Evacuate now, in our moment of triumph?  I think you overestimate their chances!'.  And so a new production run begins...  At the least, it would be nice for 10240 to take down 10188 on its way out.

I will forever think that this is what really happens.

• Like 1

Like I said:

"They will add new items to this line and probably exchange some of the old items for better ones over time though."

But I don't really see why this should be a bad thing as long as they are compatible with the old ones.

(I hope no investor is investing in power functions ^^ )

They will add new items to this line and probably exchange some of the old items for better ones over time though.)

That's why I was trying to point and ask about something (motor train 87574) that could explain an unexpected retirement of the 60051 and 60052 train sets because of:

1. the fact they both are sold out in europe, without an estimated date for some more stock

2. the incoming of a new cargo train.

Well, I guess everybody is as clueless as I am, so nevermind.

Question for the long-timers here, have other large centerpiece sets gone from "SOLD OUT" to "Available" before?  If so, what type of time table?  60051/60052 have now been sold out for about 10 days.  

I remember that some sets went back in stock after a few months of being "Sold Out", but typically sets stay in that status until EOL.

Question for the long-timers here, have other large centerpiece sets gone from "SOLD OUT" to "Available" before?  If so, what type of time table?  60051/60052 have now been sold out for about 10 days.  

Both are still available here in the US on LEGO SAH. And yes I'm no long-timer and I've personally see it happen on a couple now. 

Guest TabbyBoy

Roses are red... Violets are blue...

I though violets were violet otherwise the flower would be called a "Blue" ;-)

Come to think of it, I wonder if there'll ever be a Friends train using these colours?

I can only agree, train collectors are completionists.  I used to be a big Hornby model railway fan and I had every single locomotive, carriage and wagon from the 1980s.  Not to mention that I was a trainspotter at school.  Since then, I've got a life!

I'm going to see what my 7938s and 7939s sell for in a few months once the QFLLs dry up before I buy trains again.

Yeah I am wondering if I should be even concerned about trains. They don't seem like big money makers unless you get them at giant discounts, but then isn't any set at a giant discount a money maker?

It's another way to invest... Different from modulars or ninjago sets. Not a lot of profits (compared to modulars), but low risks (compared to ninjago) and no need to wait for 1 or 2 years once it's retired (compared to both).

It's ok to get some if you see some signs of retirement, buy some with 30% off, wait for some months, and that's it.

The good thing with trains is that they are quite expensive ($120 for passenger and $170 for cargo), so compared to a $50 set it's more interesting (less work). And because there are few different trains, when they want a retired (train) set people have no real choice but to get the ones which existed.