Retiring Soon - open speculation

I can't believe that 10245 Santa's Workshop is retiring.

word of a warning - last year Winter Village Market was marked as retired in Europe, only to be un-retired closer to holidays. We could probably assume Winter Village Market is indeed retired this time around. But Santa Workshop very likely comes back (especially given the demand picture)

• Like 1

word of a warning - last year Winter Village Market was marked as retired in Europe, only to be un-retired closer to holidays. We could probably assume Winter Village Market is indeed retired this time around. But Santa Workshop very likely comes back (especially given the demand picture)

Lol the only ones buying / demanding Santa related sets in January and February are the people on BP :D

• Like 1

First time poster, here; great site! I'd like to pick up TH, but all of the major chains TRU, Target, WM don't have them anymore. What are some good alternative places to search for these lost relics? Independent toy stores? Any advice would be welcome!

BrickClassifieds or BrickTrader are a good start.

So now that this wave of retirement is upon us, where does this leave sets like ToO, Red 5, and EEE?   Should I assume they will be around for another year if the pattern for Lego is to do an annual purge of retirement?  Or can sets be retired mid year as well?

This wave of retirements is a bit of a non-news story, and only a confirmation of many many widely accepted truths.

All of these sets are gone, and have been gone for months. The retirement tag MIGHT kick off an increase in price but the real 'event' happened when they went out of stock and never came back (other than 1-2 at a time here and there).

That being said, Red 5 is gone almost everywhere and MIGHT be available at a future date at lego but there's no guarantee they'll ship. So Red 5 might be just as 'retired' as the sets just now officially marked retired.

• Like 1

This wave of retirements is a bit of a non-news story, and only a confirmation of many many widely accepted truths.

All of these sets are gone, and have been gone for months. The retirement tag MIGHT kick off an increase in price but the real 'event' happened when they went out of stock and never came back (other than 1-2 at a time here and there).

That being said, Red 5 is gone almost everywhere and MIGHT be available at a future date at lego but there's no guarantee they'll ship. So Red 5 might be just as 'retired' as the sets just now officially marked retired.

I wonder if TLC planning to do something special with Red5 for May 4th. Remember how they held SSD at TOOS for a long time, and then did a final batch around April/May? Not that they actually did anything particularly special though - "half-price SSD" was just an inside joke.

Maybe Lego isn't even sure what they are going to do with it.  The new movie coming out this year is a bit of a wildcard.  I'm assuming they have inside knowledge of the movie and know which vehicles will be prominent in it.  So do they retire Red 5 right before the movie comes out?  They've already spent all the design costs for it, and if it's in the movie, why not keep it around?

Maybe Lego isn't even sure what they are going to do with it.  The new movie coming out this year is a bit of a wildcard.  I'm assuming they have inside knowledge of the movie and know which vehicles will be prominent in it.  So do they retire Red 5 right before the movie comes out?  They've already spent all the design costs for it, and if it's in the movie, why not keep it around?

Everything points to vehicles being somewhat different in Ep7 comparing to other episodes. They did retire falcon 7965 and x-wing 9493. I bet Falcon 7965 was outselling Red5 by significant margin. If they are not sure about Red5, they should have been as much unsure about 7965 and 9493

I don't think Ep. 7 has anything to do with Red5. People will still want original trilogy sets even if (especially if) 10 more Star Wars movies come out and Lego will continue to make products to satisfy that demand. I still think Red5 will retire at some point this year as a 2.5 year lifespan would be typical for a set like this and (pure speculation here) I don't think it has been a sales juggernaut by any means.

I don't think Ep. 7 has anything to do with Red5. People will still want original trilogy sets even if (especially if) 10 more Star Wars movies come out and Lego will continue to make products to satisfy that demand. I still think Red5 will retire at some point this year as a 2.5 year lifespan would be typical for a set like this and (pure speculation here) I don't think it has been a sales juggernaut by any means.

EP7 has to do with Red5 because Ep7 (and future movies) will require their own relevant sets. TLC cannot expand the available selection endlessly - they have limited production capacity, retailers have limited shelf/warehouse space, people like to buy newer stuff. Of course sets reflecting original trilogy will be released in the future again and again. Just given the picture of sets that are being retired/retired, it does not seem to make sense for Red5 to keep going (unless there are special circumstances - like they already designed May 4th flyer and Red5 is there, or some stupid stuff like that) 

EP7 has to do with Red5 because Ep7 (and future movies) will require their own relevant sets. TLC cannot expand the available selection endlessly - they have limited production capacity, retailers have limited shelf/warehouse space, people like to buy newer stuff. Of course sets reflecting original trilogy will be released in the future again and again. Just given the picture of sets that are being retired/retired, it does not seem to make sense for Red5 to keep going (unless there are special circumstances - like they already designed May 4th flyer and Red5 is there, or some stupid stuff like that) 

Red5 is a UCS set, and the new movie sets almost assuredly will not be, so they won't really be competing for the same shelf space. They have already retired a bunch of exclusives and a bunch of non-exclusive Star Wars sets as well to make way for new sets. Maybe they'll retire more to free up production capacity and shelf space but it doesn't HAVE to be Red5; it could be ToO or something else. Like I said, I still think Red5 will go sometime this year but if Lego, for some reason, wanted to continue to produce the set, I don't think Episode 7 is a barrier to that in any way.

And people have been trying (unsuccessfully) to rationalize this stuff a lot lately: "R2 won't get before Ep7, HH won't go before Halloween, etc." and yet here we are with none of those seemingly sensible predictions being true.

Edited by bricketycricket
  • Like 1

And people have been trying (unsuccessfully) to rationalize this stuff a lot lately: "R2 won't get before Ep7, HH won't go before Halloween, etc." and yet here we are with none of those seemingly sensible predictions being true.

True.  I waited on R2, not for timing purposes, but lack of $$$.  Kicking myself for not trying hard enought to acquire one.  Looks like a sweet set!

And as for me I returned an R2 just last week cause I needed some cash flow!! :,,((((

Any highly sought after set, I recommend to offer up to the group before returning. Your have that thing gone before you could blink. That also saves you a trip into the money pit....I mean Lego store

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

And as for me I returned an R2 just last week cause I needed some cash flow!! :,,((((

I know I can he bold and abrasive at times. And I never want to be totally disrespectful but really?.... Are you trolling. Like honestly. Why would you return a set that you could sell right now for much more then you paid and make a profit? I honestly don't think any response you could propose would be valid or make any sense. Or why not offer it to people here. Edited by hxckid88
  • Like 2

Any highly sought after set, I recommend to offer up to the group before returning. Your have that thing gone before you could blink. That also saves you a trip into the money pit....I mean Lego store

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

I would have bought that from you.

In hind sight I should have, but I'm in Australia :P Would have cost you guys extra for shipping, also the box wasn't mint, it had receipt tapes stuck to it so I decided to return it. I have one built though... it was lots of fun tballw32! Get your hands on one soon!!