Retiring Soon - open speculation

I wouldn't call the early retirement of a train set...CHAOS.   LOL

Well, it clearly is the end of the world as we know it. Nothing will ever be like it used to be. Today train sets retire after 6 months, tomorrow a meteorite destroys whole continents. Slippery slope.

• Like 1

lego ideas has posted the Exo Suit 21109 is done this month.  Not sure of the potential of this set at this point, particularly at retail, as it still sits everywhere. given the source I am not sure this is really speculation, however LEGO Shop at Home has not posted anything about it.

That helicopter...

Conversation @ TLG HQ:

Designer (presenting the set): "So this going to be our ne cargo train..."

Manager (interrupting): "But where's the helicopter? I don't like it. We are adding helicopters to every city set now. Didn't you get the memo?"

Designer: "But... but sir, it's a train! How can we credibly add a..."

Manager (interrupting again): "EVERY set. Do you need another copy of that memo?"

Designer: "No sir, I already got onw. I just thought that..."

Manager (interrupting yet again): "From now on, just make sure to add a helicopter to every set. And I'll make sure you'll get another copy of that memo."

Designer (baffled): "I don't need..." (resigning) "Okay sir."

Designer returns to his desk.

Phone call from Regional Manager.

Designer: Yes, sir, I did get the memo...

Edited by No More Monkeys

Was that like the memo that said every lotr set had to have gandolph but under no circumstances could any sets have sauron?

More like "Thou shalt have Lone Ranger fig in every TLR set, especially when the set is called "Cavalry Builder set". Everyone knows cavalry units look better without their own horses."

Edited by Darth_Raichu

The past two days in this thread make me long for the days when there was actual news to report and discuss.  Everyone who is freaking out over the early retirement of 60052 (if that is indeed what is happening) clearly hasn't been around for very long.  Every year, TLG retires sets unexpectedly after very short runs at retail.  Off the top of my head, I can recall #3222, Butterfly Beauty Salon, and Zombies falling into that boat, as well as Mace Windu's Jedi Starfighter, which was only around for what seemed like a minute in the U.S. before retiring.  Although it's difficult to predict which sets this will happen to, it is hardly an uncommon occurrence...unless you try to define the issue as narrowly as one of the earlier posters (i.e., no train with a MSRP greater than $200 that carries the set number 60052 has ever retired in 6-12 months before this one).

• Like 2

The past two days in this thread make me long for the days when there was actual news to report and discuss.  Everyone who is freaking out over the early retirement of 60052 (if that is indeed what is happening) clearly hasn't been around for very long.  Every year, TLG retires sets unexpectedly after very short runs at retail.  Off the top of my head, I can recall #3222, Butterfly Beauty Salon, and Zombies falling into that boat, as well as Mace Windu's Jedi Starfighter, which was only around for what seemed like a minute in the U.S. before retiring.  Although it's difficult to predict which sets this will happen to, it is hardly an uncommon occurrence...unless you try to define the issue as narrowly as one of the earlier posters (i.e., no train with a MSRP greater than $200 that carries the set number 60052 has ever retired in 6-12 months before this one).

I think you could broaden the definition to any train released so far (ignoring things like special or limited editions). They are kinda like City flagship models. Have always been much more persistent than regular City sets. I don't think that's precedented. But of course unprecedented things can happen.

Would that be unheard of? 7939 is still listed as "retiring soon" on US SAH (and sold out). No notice whatsoever on 60052.

IMHO people put way too much significance on the official designations that products get on LEGO Shop at Home.  TLG has retired products (like 7939) without labeling them as a "Retired Product" or giving them a "Retiring Product" designation before they sell out.  Basically, TLG generally operates within certain bounds and norms, but do not operate according to a strict set of rules in every instance.  

How many $ 100+ sets have retired unexpectedly within such a short time? One would think that a short-term retirement decision like that is much easier for small sets that have caused hardly any design cost. But for the larger ones - I'd say a big set would have to sell really, really badly to cut it off that quickly. So does anyone know if an expensive set has gotten that treatment before?

Personally I'd say that none of the new trains is retiring, I just don't see a good reason.

Edited by rfish
  • Like 2