Retiring Soon - open speculation

Did a doubletake when I saw fire station back earlier this week/last week.

Can't say I get it unless they had a whole buncha pallets still in warehouse that weren't selling and figured they'd give it one more shot.

Guess if they are missing inventory due to delays/dock/etc maybe they are just filling space.

I saw Fire Station on clearance at one walmart in my area... i believe it was 74$

Did a doubletake when I saw fire station back earlier this week/last week.

Can't say I get it unless they had a whole buncha pallets still in warehouse that weren't selling and figured they'd give it one more shot.

Guess if they are missing inventory due to delays/dock/etc maybe they are just filling space.

Idk either, for awhile they carried both, now is musical stations I guess

think I bought Fire Stations back in June/July for $69 , then Police was late Oct I think and then saw Fire back in for Xmas at full price.

Guess we know what will be on clearance next lol

It's all about the real estate (retail shelves)--and the real estate is limited.

B&M stores like WM and Target will carry high turnover items on the shelves. I also have the suspicion that more and more large purchases are happening online. Physical stores are for quick birthday party gifts and allowance spending. 

• Like 1

You have to consider Lego's fixed costs.  The first AT-AT to walk off the production line costs at least tens of thousands of dollars in design and setup, roughly equal to a bazillion Danish kroner.  The marginal cost for each additional set is very low.  If Lego makes a habit of running 6-month production times, they'll wreck their margins.  Neither the star destroyer nor the AT-AT is going to be a low-sales set like 10227, so I'd wager this is a little hiccup in the distribution chain or something, rather than early EOL.  As for the cargo train, I have no idea.  I've always preferred ******-scale.

• Like 2

Clearance at non-Lego retailers does NOT equal End of Life.

There are many MANY examples of sets clearanced at the end of 2012, and the end of 2013 that clearanced out from Walmart & Target that came back in full force. It has to do with shelf space, seasonality of toy purchasing, and perhaps many other things we have no idea about.

The bat cave was clearanced out and came back.

The Xwing was clearanced out and came back.

The Falcon was clearanced out and came back.

I'm more than willing to bet that will be the same case with items like the AT-AT and Star Destroyer. 

Now clearance prices at Lego.com and Lego B&M stores DO tend to signal EOL.

• Like 2

So, to stoke the flames of a possible early EOL for the 60052 cargo train, I have just seen pic of the 60098 Euro style cargo train. I wonder if this means they will produce all 3 worldwide or if this will replace 60052 (perhaps for our market). Interesting.....

Maybe that explains the scarce nature of 60052 right now. Production resources have been allocated to a new train that will be released soon, maybe?

I don't see why 60052 would EOL so quickly. It just makes no sense from a sensible product pipeline perspective.

So, to stoke the flames of a possible early EOL for the 60052 cargo train, I have just seen pic of the 60098 Euro style cargo train. I wonder if this means they will produce all 3 worldwide or if this will replace 60052 (perhaps for our market). Interesting.....

I would be surprised to see such a mainstream set as regionally exclusive. 60051 is sold out at EU LEGO Shop at Home as well, but that's clearly a European design (ICE 3-ish).

Still, 60098 seems to be a thing. We already had 2 parallel cargo trains (7939/3677). But in general, it's really uncommon for LEGO to have 2 such similar sets at the same time. When were there 2 City fire stations? 2 airports? 2 gas stations? You get the picture...

Still don't believe in EOL soon, but sure makes you wonder what their train plans are for 2015. On top of that, a new creator train is due as well.

WTH?  My 2 local TRUs had over a dozen 60052 and 6-8 60051 this weekend.  Just went by for 10% off Thursday, and they're cleaned out.  Clerk said no more on order, either, no plans to restock.   These 2 sets have been in-stock and on the shelf since Xmas, with really no movement.  Now they clear out in just a few days?  Somebody else following European status and making a buy, perhaps?  Hmmmm.  

Did pickup the last 2 60050 (Train Station) with the 10% off + $10 City set discount which put these under $50.  Plan to bundle them with my current inventory of 60052.  Maybe sooner rather than later, if this is indeed an early EOL.  And I'm thinking I might need to pickup a few 60051, just won't pay MSRP for these (TRU $10 + 10% is just good enough for me at this point to buy in).

Edited by diablo2112

More info on the upcoming Cargo Train 60098 is coming out.  Below is another pic of the rolling stock with the kit.  The extras/theme in 60098 really overlap 60052.  And, a bit more info on the 60052 situation can be found, including Argos discounting this set in the UK by 30%.  Also, some discussion that 60052 wasn't exclusive, and 60098 will be.  

The more I read, the more I'm beginning to think 60052 may indeed be near an EOL situation.   A bit of a risky play, but I've found a couple 60052 at discount today and pulled the trigger (Amazon had them at $170 this morning, FYI).  Worst case, it comes back and I don't want to tie up capital, I can return.  Anyone that got a $99 one at WM last week could be really golden.  

15888572283_7accd5a24b_k_zps6e6a97b8.jpg

Edited by diablo2112

More info on the upcoming Cargo Train 60098 is coming out.  Below is another pic of the rolling stock with the kit.  The extras/theme in 60098 really overlap 60052.  And, a bit more info on the 60052 situation can be found, including Argos discounting this set in the UK by 30%.  Also, some discussion that 60052 wasn't exclusive, and 60098 will be.  

The more I read, the more I'm beginning to think 60052 may indeed be near an EOL situation.   A bit of a risky play, but I've found a couple 60052 at discount today and pulled the trigger (Amazon had them at $170 this morning, FYI).  Worst case, it comes back and I don't want to tie up capital, I can return.  Anyone that got a $99 one at WM last week could be really golden.  

15888572283_7accd5a24b_k_zps6e6a97b8.jpg

That helicopter...

Conversation @ TLG HQ:

Designer (presenting the set): "So this going to be our ne cargo train..."

Manager (interrupting): "But where's the helicopter? I don't like it. We are adding helicopters to every city set now. Didn't you get the memo?"

Designer: "But... but sir, it's a train! How can we credibly add a..."

Manager (interrupting again): "EVERY set. Do you need another copy of that memo?"

Designer: "No sir, I already got onw. I just thought that..."

Manager (interrupting yet again): "From now on, just make sure to add a helicopter to every set. And I'll make sure you'll get another copy of that memo."

Designer (baffled): "I don't need..." (resigning) "Okay sir."

• Like 1