Retiring Soon - open speculation

This is interesting.  60052 (Cargo Train) is now listed as "sold out" on several of the European LEGO Shop at Home sites.  Also, we had WM discounting this set in the online app last week.  Most interesting...  Came out in August 2014, right? 

CargoTrainSoldOut_zps75cc9496.jpg

Guess that's just one of those casual sold outs, not the EOL one. Will be back in stock in a while. Why?

1: 7939 had a 3 year run

2: No successor, neither on the market nor announced

3: From all that I can tell, trains are selling pretty well. Whenever there's a LEGO sale somewhere, 60051 and 60052 are among the first to run out.

Yeah I know, never say never, but I'd be really surprised. Then again I got 2 66493 in the basement, so bring it on.

60052 is now listed as sold out on nearly all Lego sites except USA/Canada, and 60051 has joined it.  It's expanded quite a bit the last 2 days.  Probably one of the occasional Sold-Outs, but who knows?  And I do think it very curious that WM put this on clearance pricing last week.

Good points above about why this shouldn't be anywhere near EOL.  As a counterpoint, this is an American locomotive, and selling into the fanatic Euro-train market may be harder than the last Euro-themed cargo train.   I also don't think this is anywhere near EOL, but it is a data point that's it's listed as Sold Out nearly worldwide at the moment.  

If - a big, huge, unlikely *if* - this is nearing EOL, it's a huge gift to resellers.  Unexpected, short life, and AFAIK, no one is either hoarding this or even has it on their radar.  All the ingredients for another TH-like score.

Edited by diablo2112

60052 is now listed as sold out on nearly all Lego sites except USA/Canada, and 60051 has joined it.  It's expanded quite a bit the last 2 days.  Probably one of the occasional Sold-Outs, but who knows?  And I do think it very curious that WM put this on clearance pricing last week.

Good points above about why this shouldn't be anywhere near EOL.  As a counterpoint, this is an American locomotive, and selling into the fanatic Euro-train market may be harder than the last Euro-themed cargo train.   I also don't think this is anywhere near EOL, but it is a data point that's it's listed as Sold Out nearly worldwide at the moment.  

If - a big, huge, unlikely *if* - this is nearing EOL, it's a huge gift to resellers.  Unexpected, short life, and AFAIK, no one is either hoarding this or even has it on their radar.  All the ingredients for another TH-like score.

If it's EOL, I'm going to scream. I just returned one and exchanged it for a Red 5.

It would be odd for it to go EOL so fast though. It would be unprecedented.

There is no one reason to think that the trains 60051 and 60052 could go to EOL so soon... these are classic city trains, no exclusives, and such trains are selling longer than 2 years. Why would the TLG finish these trains just after 1 year??? No logic. There must be a train every year on the shelves, previous trains (7938, 7939) were selling 4 years!, no reason to stop the production and make another train. This is a basic set for children, such as a police station, fire station, etc.

I think the reason of "sold out" status is just a lack of supplies after Xmas...

• Like 2

Good points above about why this shouldn't be anywhere near EOL.  As a counterpoint, this is an American locomotive, and selling into the fanatic Euro-train market may be harder than the last Euro-themed cargo train.

Yet from the 90's onward, LEGO released several American themed trains. While the 7939 engine is obviously closer to a European model, i don't think people in Germany, France or the UK find it much more relateable than the 60052 engine. On the other hand, the switcher from 3677 was spot on, but that set was a short runner none the less:

41EO64A8BTL.jpg

16101931815_1429202b8b_m.jpg

Seriously. What is going on with the trains and the large SW sets from a few months back, specifically 75055 and 75054.

WM clearancing what they have and not carrying them any more?

Lego B&M in Stl had only a few 60052 and no 60051. Also no 75055 and no 75054. Employee said they won't be carrying them any more in stock. Any of them. He said they moved out all those SW sets for the new sets and he went on to say all the sets I see before me will be moved out late summer/ early fall for the line of ep VII sets. I asked if they were retiring or will they still be available online he said "no idea".

Are these retiring already or just going to be only available from Lego LEGO Shop at Home for the next 3 years?

Is THIS the chaos? 6 month lifespans?

• Like 1

One thing to note for the trains is that Lego ran out of motors at LEGO Shop at Home and they have been backordered for 2 months. It is possible that they have to wait for the next batch of motors to be ready to continue producing trains.

I understand that, but that wouldn't explain why Lego B&M are is longer going to carry them or why Walmart is clearancing them all out and "deleting" them.

• Like 1

Seriously. What is going on with the trains and the large SW sets from a few months back, specifically 75055 and 75054.

WM clearancing what they have and not carrying them any more?

Lego B&M in Stl had only a few 60052 and no 60051. Also no 75055 and no 75054. Employee said they won't be carrying them any more in stock. Any of them. He said they moved out all those SW sets for the new sets and he went on to say all the sets I see before me will be moved out late summer/ early fall for the line of ep VII sets. I asked if they were retiring or will they still be available online he said "no idea".

Are these retiring already or just going to be only available from Lego LEGO Shop at Home for the next 3 years?

Is THIS the chaos? 6 month lifespans?

Just expensive items for WM to begin with.  Not big sellers at that level.  $200 Train set was destined for sales failure at WM.  They clearance big sets like that and replace with others.   Last round MF, Chi Temple was clearanced at a lot of stores then others got in those same 2 sets.  

Kind of like Target clearancing Fire Station then replaced with Police Station, then clearance Police station and got Fire Station back in.

Just a quicker turnover on larger sets.

• Like 3