Retiring Soon - open speculation

I'm a part time qfll, part time lthl (long term high life), and part time WDIBT (Why did I buy that, this is the situation with the EDB).

I am one of the people on here who sees no issue with qfll, as if I find something that I can double my money on quickly, I usually feel that money is better when it is actually realized.

I have no issues with any sales, short term, mid range, long term or overnight flips.  Whatever makes money I am down for.

The subject was LEGO does not like QF of sets as it competes.  Which is true it does compete to an extent but they do not help themselves with the way they roll out there big launches of highly desirable sets.

The QFLL (hee!) disrupted LEGO's forecasting capability, IMHO.  Plus, Elsa and Minecraft attracted QFLL who would not be selling LEGO otherwise.

could be to some extent but there has been enough time to expect it.  It's progressively gotten bigger for the last 2 years.  21102 had initial shortages,  BTTF had initial shortages.  Ecto 1 wasn't as bad.  

Exosuit and RI crashed the website for awhile it was so big.   They know the demand for initial product is there and only getting bigger.

The pre talk of Slave 1 was they would have plenty and most were not buying it with that intention and that it wouldn't be a good flip.  Turned out it wasn't to bad if you bought with the right deal.

I have no issues with any sales, short term, mid range, long term or overnight flips.  Whatever makes money I am down for.

The subject was LEGO does not like QF of sets as it competes.  Which is true it does compete to an extent but they do not help themselves with the way they roll out there big launches of highly desirable sets.

I wasn't ripping on this conversation, I've just noticed lately that many have an issue with people quick flipping clearance items and saying that it doesn't make sense, or isn't worth the time.

Could be the sandcrawler is being considered as more a normal rather than UCS type set and retiring later this year.  Now seems crazy unless it is a 10227 type flop, and there's no indication of that in the set reviews, for example (10227 averaged 3.7 I think in the LEGO Shop at Home reviews, which is pretty awful).  I bought 10144 at $100 and sold at close to $400 for most of them, which counts as a success in my book, though it did involve holding for about three years.  The new one pricy but looks much nicer.  In any case, never underestimate the demand for jawas.

Its funny we hear this a lot and I do get it and believe that's what they want but there production of these popular new release sets sure do not promote that belief.

Tumbler was only hot and selling for 4+ months at $75 over retail because of how they sold the product and the avenues they decided to do it.  

So you're next big flagship comes out and its been on backorder pretty much since it came out also selling for about $70+ over retail

The way the new minifig minecraft was sold promoted a big window for QFLL.  

And how is Elsa's castle not ready to go with huge numbers from the get go.  Until now where its available at Shop at Home the set has been unavailable at retail levels for the majority of 5-6 weeks.

If you didn't want QFLL going on then you would think there would be an abundance of sets available to the public in all avenues from the start.  I can't believe that after the Tumbler they can't gauge initial sales enough to have enough on hand for the first few months which would all but eliminate QF of sets.

Or does that initial false demand by shorting sets help sales overall after they come back in.  

Maybe LEGO has gotten too big for LEGO?

I wasn't ripping on this conversation, I've just noticed lately that many have an issue with people quick flipping clearance items and saying that it doesn't make sense, or isn't worth the time.

The value of time is very relative. I have a house full of kids (6 of them most of the time) and a full time job. I'm in better shape with a buy and hold/traditional investor perspective. I don't have time to spend running after clearance deals (which aren't that plentiful around here, anyway). More power to those who can. A 2.5 hour round trip to the nearest LEGO store is a trek when there's homework to help with, dinner to cook, and soccer games to sideline-pace.

I think there's room for all sorts of strategies, and I won't poo-poo anyone who's making money and happy. Missing one of those two... why do it? There are other ways to find happiness and make money. Missing both, well...

I still don't think the Sandcrawler is retiring this soon. :P

• Like 5

I don't really understand why my question yesterday was moved to this thread. I wasn't speculating about any sets going EOL. I was simply asking how to find out about sets EOL status.

For a forum that has major topic overkill issues and has umpteen pointless topic sections the fussiness with tidying up is mind blowing. Whoever thinks having threads with 236 pages is a good thing is wrong.

OK, so long threads are bad?  I'll have Jeff tell Huw at Brickset to cut down some of his 400+ page threads.  

The value of time is very relative. I have a house full of kids (6 of them most of the time) and a full time job. I'm in better shape with a buy and hold/traditional investor perspective. I don't have time to spend running after clearance deals (which aren't that plentiful around here, anyway). More power to those who can. A 2.5 hour round trip to the nearest LEGO store is a trek when there's homework to help with, dinner to cook, and soccer games to sideline-pace.

Amen, brother!

• Like 2

Long threads are terrible.  The problem is, when I follow a thread, I feel compelled to read it from the beginning each day to jog my memory about what's already been posted.  Today, for example, I spent about three hours just reading this thread, leaving me no time to read all 150+ pages of the TH thread before posting there about how cool the little elevator function is!  So please, have some sympathy for those of us with compulsothreadophilia...

• Like 1

Very thankful for my spouse. Better than I deserve. :)

So the Madhouse continues I assume.

That being said I just see absolutely no way the Sandcrawler is going any time soon.

Watch for another cryptic post saying Trek is off Trek er Track on that one. LOL

I think its got another 1.5 years.

Though your eyes can see you still are a blind man...

• Like 1

Though your eyes can see you still are a blind man...

Glad to see someone is having fun in the forums again...

clearly he is anti-normal 2 eye vision

OK the last time Ed pulled that out was here in the Town Hall thread.

I am too tired from Jury Duty and other things today to figure this out today or probably ever. :)

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/87-10224-town-hall/?p=354841

Guess looks like maybe the Sandcrawler is getting the Arctic 60064 Supply Plane treatment.

Even though its in stock at Walmart, Target, Amazon and Shop at Home (Limit 5?)

It has an Amazon sales rank of 18,154.

Someone please reread the entire town hall thread and interpret LOL as I stink at this.

Reminds me of John Malkovich's comment to Sam Witwicky in Dark of the Moon when he is talking about a recommend letter from the board.

Ed sure has a way to light up this board.  Let the fun begin.

I am too tired from Jury Duty and other things today to figure this out today or probably ever. :)

Guess looks like maybe the Sandcrawler is getting the Arctic 60064 Supply Plane treatment.

Someone please reread the entire town hall thread and interpret LOL as I stink at this.

Reminds me of John Malkovich's comment to Sam Witwicky in Dark of the Moon when he is talking about a recommend letter from the board.

post-40002-0-09661100-1423532438.jpg

Don't get excited...The Madhouse video was in reference to this forum and people thinking the Sandcrawler was retiring.  

• Like 4

Don't get excited...The Madhouse video was in reference to this forum and people thinking the Sandcrawler was retiring.  

Whaaat?!? I thought you were saying that Jokerland is retiring. I was already getting excited about the profits I can make on a set that retires before it even gets released, but oh well... life is just too plain.

• Like 1

Long threads are terrible.  The problem is, when I follow a thread, I feel compelled to read it from the beginning each day to jog my memory about what's already been posted.  Today, for example, I spent about three hours just reading this thread, leaving me no time to read all 150+ pages of the TH thread before posting there about how cool the little elevator function is!  So please, have some sympathy for those of us with compulsothreadophilia...

I feel sorry if your compulsothreadophilia does include useless posts (nor usefull, neither fun).

Look at the avatar on the left before reading a post, you may save some time. :)

Expressing an opinion on an open forum.

Massive apologies, my bad.

With few exceptions, the forums are to express an opinion about Lego and a Lego investing, not about complaining about the organization of said forums. That said, the site's Admins and Mods have actually provided a separate forum for this discussion:

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/4926-forum-rules-regulations-facts-and-etiquette/page-2#entry145308

And if you are just having a bad day, feel free to post here:

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/6535-complaint-thread/?fromsearch=1

The forum has been around a lot longer than your time here as a member. The site mods and admins only ask that you give just a bit of consideration to where to place all subsequent posts. It seems this agreement we have with our members is working as the site is now 40,000 members strong, and there have been almost no complaints registered about moving posts.

I sincerely hope you heed our advice and become a productive member of the community. Have a wonderful day.

• Like 2

I don't mean this as any sort of criticism or taking sides, but I could see some value in longer/busy threads like this being updated with a new thread yearly, or something similar:

"Retiring Soon - Open Speculation - 2015" or something like that, which might make it a little more convenient for looking for current or even researching particular information from previous years.

I can see this working on a few other threads too - Order Status, LEGO Employee Said, etc etc. Just might be more efficient/convenient. 

• Like 9