Retiring Soon - open speculation

What sets do you think are retiring?

Problem is "thinking" of a set retiring seems to be more random than ever - judging from LEGOs new phEOLosophy we have started to learn about since end of 2014. So I mean, even if I did "think" of sets retiring that would have been very realistic candidates BEFORE the big change, the old thinking looks worthless nowadays. If TLG bases set retirements primarily on sales numbers, then investors depend on insider EOL info more than ever - because next to no one knows about exact or even approximate sales numbers. Well, you can guess what might be selling slowly. There are some obvious sets like Red Five or SOH. But aside from those one or two that might always be there who knows if one popular set is selling times ten more than another popular one? LEGO has very many popular sets. How can one estimate which ones are considered to be selling "bad enough" to be retired sooner than another one? So if you ask me what sets I think are retiring, I have to admit: I have no clue.

I think Lego 10220 T1 is retiring. 2 months and the thing will be completely vanished here in Europe.

It's OK, everybody buys TB, PS or whatever, I bought dozen of T1 at a nice discount (75 - 80 euro per set) because I think this thing is standing on its last legs.

T1 was an iconic, ubiquitous vehicle in Europe for over 3 decades.  It is known in the US but not like it was in Europe. The build is incredibly detailed, but I have concerns that it may blow up in Europe but fail to register similarly here in the US.

Hope I am wrong as I bought a lot of them in Oct/Nov when they had the T1 polybags attached

Problem is "thinking" of a set retiring seems to be more random than ever - judging from LEGOs new phEOLosophy we have started to learn about since end of 2014. So I mean, even if I did "think" of sets retiring that would have been very realistic candidates BEFORE the big change, the old thinking looks worthless nowadays. If TLG bases set retirements primarily on sales numbers, then investors depend on insider EOL info more than ever - because next to no one knows about exact or even approximate sales numbers. Well, you can guess what might be selling slowly. There are some obvious sets like Red Five or SOH. But aside from those one or two that might always be there who knows if one popular set is selling times ten more than another popular one? LEGO has very many popular sets. How can one estimate which ones are considered to be selling "bad enough" to be retired sooner than another one? So if you ask me what sets I think are retiring, I have to admit: I have no clue.

Honestly, the information you seek is within these forums and the retailer's websites. Every single discussion on this site may have a valuable piece of info. Some people really do speak with LEGO workers that know what they are talking about. Some have no clue. It is like a puzzle. Some pieces fit. Some don't.

I must be very careful as to what I say. There are enough BrickPicker members now that if I hint at a set, it can be cleaned out in days, thus fulfilling my own prophecy, at least temporarily. But if that set is not done, then I can look like an idiot.

• Like 3

I must be very careful as to what I say. There are enough BrickPicker members now that if I hint at a set, it can be cleaned out in days, thus fulfilling my own prophecy, at least temporarily. But if that set is not done, then I can look like an idiot.

Or perhaps you can also be an  

thumbnail-evil-genius_boxart_wide-280x15

Honestly, the information you seek is within these forums and the retailer's websites. Every single discussion on this site may have a valuable piece of info. Some people really do speak with LEGO workers that know what they are talking about. Some have no clue. It is like a puzzle. Some pieces fit. Some don't.

I just miss the times when you posted things like "the little guy will not roll into the sunset alone" and similar hints. Are these times gone for good? TMI already in comments like that?

I went on my monthly pilgrimage to Legoland Discovery Centre yesterday and picked up an X5 and ToO.  Whilst there i had a lengthy chat with one of the employees.  Whilst paying we had the following conversation.

Employee:  I am surprised you are not buying The Simpsons House.

Me:  Why

Employee:  It is a special simpsons anniversary edition.  This is on its way out.  When the new set ( i assume this is the kwik e mart) comes out this is gone.  I had to persuade my wife to let me buy one before we run out of stock.

I am guessing this is even less reliable than info from a lego store employee as the Discovery Centre is not an actual lego store, but i thought i would share.

• Like 2

What did I just say about the Dead Five...I mean Red Live?

...ah, that's what I was talking about. Maybe it's just that none of the sets I'm personally interested in are about to retire soon. But anyway, please keep them riddles coming, Ed. Getting something cryptic - no matter how close to useless it might be (which it is NOT most of the time, of course) - from you is so much better than getting no comments at all. Could as well be I'm just reading the wrong threads at the moment.

...ah, that's what I was talking about. Maybe it's just that none of the sets I'm personally interested in are about to retire soon. But anyway, please keep them riddles coming, Ed. Getting something cryptic - no matter how close to useless it might be (which it is NOT most of the time, of course) - from you is so much better than getting no comments at all. Could as well be I'm just reading the wrong threads at the moment.

Maybe Ed can post future riddles that involve using the forum search tool. Jeff enhanced it last year. It works great.

• Like 1

By the way: I have checked the EEE thread and found that Ed said close to nothing about this set the past 6 months. And when he did it was unrelated to EOL. Maybe you shook your head a bit too hard, starting to imagine things.

Stephen wasn't just referring to Ed's comments in the EEE thread. It is sometimes worthwhile to read non-Ed comments also for info. Find a pattern to help determine possible EOL info.

I went on my monthly pilgrimage to Legoland Discovery Centre yesterday and picked up an X5 and ToO.  Whilst there i had a lengthy chat with one of the employees.  Whilst paying we had the following conversation.

Employee:  I am surprised you are not buying The Simpsons House.

Me:  Why

Employee:  It is a special simpsons anniversary edition.  This is on its way out.  When the new set ( i assume this is the kwik e mart) comes out this is gone.  I had to persuade my wife to let me buy one before we run out of stock.

I am guessing this is even less reliable than info from a lego store employee as the Discovery Centre is not an actual lego store, but i thought i would share.

Whether he has a source or he is repeating what he has read on Brickpicker (lol) I have heard this before.  I am not into Simpson's much but I wonder when this house does retire how successful will it be? Huge, Mild, not at all?  If what they said is true we have a Brickpicker member who has friends at the Mexico plant who say the new set looks great. The house that is going away at some point is currently ranked 1,152 in Amazon in Toys where ToO is ranked 2,514. Maybe that should say something. Maybe not.