Retiring Soon - open speculation

I'm at 0 PC and 1 PS for my personal collection.

One thing I learned over the years is to take notice when certain members post subtle hints.  E1 buys a lot of Lego but doesn't brag about it.  Tonight was the exception and I think we should take notice.  The veterans on here have better connections and better techniques than us rookies.  I've been at this for about a year and half.  The guys that really know wheat they are doing have been doing this for much longer.  I would be foolish to ignore what they have to say.  Ed Mack has been very gracious with his hints.  So have others on this forum.

The 2015 seal codes for PS scare me.  I haven't been following the trends on PC.  That also scares me.  I was fortunate enough to get a few Town Halls before it poofed.  Its much more competitive now so if a set unexpectedly goes F5, it will be devoured by the hoard.

Maybe its time to stash away a couple of these just in case.  I'm still on the fence, but I'm paying closer attention now.

If it makes you feel better I want to get 5 PC very soon.  It has nothing to do with whether it is retiring or not. I would guess not but Stephen is right all the rules have changed.  The only reason I am buying them soon is I can't imagine being without a few of them.  I will take a lot of flack for it being my favorite I think but I am a movie nut and this is my favorite recent modular (from FB forward).  Trek

• Like 1

I'm saying that anything can and will happen and if people want to be foolish and base their buying and thinking based on what was going on before the huge reseller boom then be my guest.

I still think it's best to make decisions based on known statistics and patterns. You can remain open to the possibility that seemingly improbable things can happen without assuming that they absolutely will happen.

That said, I would concede that it is not crazy to load up on the PC now if one desires; it HAS been out for 2 years. But in my mind there is no plausible evidence available to suggest that it is retiring in the next 12 months.

Honestly I'm just getting a bit sick of people claiming that X set is probably retiring soon, giving no rationale behind their claim and then hiding behind a Town Hall box when the criticism rolls in.

• Like 2

I still think it's best to make decisions based on known statistics and patterns. You can remain open to the possibility that seemingly improbable things can happen without assuming that they absolutely will happen.

That said, I would concede that it is not crazy to load up on the PC now if one desires; it HAS been out for 2 years. But in my mind there is no plausible evidence available to suggest that it is retiring in the next 12 months.

Honestly I'm just getting a bit sick of people claiming that X set is probably retiring soon, giving no rationale behind their claim and then hiding behind a Town Hall box when the criticism rolls in.

The only rationale I will give is to be comfortable with your buying habits.  I like to have my self-imposed limit early.  Sometimes I like to think that I'm only caught with my pants down when I want to be caught with my pants down, but that's not always the case.

I most certainly hope you aren't referring to me because I did no such thing and if you think I did you might want to scroll up and re read.

I'm at 0 PC and 1 PS for my personal collection.

One thing I learned over the years is to take notice when certain members post subtle hints. E1 buys a lot of Lego but doesn't brag about it. Tonight was the exception and I think we should take notice. The veterans on here have better connections and better techniques than us rookies. I've been at this for about a year and half. The guys that really know wheat they are doing have been doing this for much longer. I would be foolish to ignore what they have to say. Ed Mack has been very gracious with his hints. So have others on this forum.

The 2015 seal codes for PS scare me. I haven't been following the trends on PC. That also scares me. I was fortunate enough to get a few Town Halls before it poofed. Its much more competitive now so if a set unexpectedly goes F5, it will be devoured by the hoard.

Maybe its time to stash away a couple of these just in case. I'm still on the fence, but I'm paying closer attention now.

over the years?!! U have been on here for one year......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Brickpicker mobile app

• Like 1

The only rationale I will give is to be comfortable with your buying habits.  I like to have my self-imposed limit early.  Sometimes I like to think that I'm only caught with my pants down when I want to be caught with my pants down, but that's not always the case.

getting caught with your pants down is usually never good whether it is wanted or not

I think there is a good chance PC is the next modular to go. The only question is will it be at the end of 2015 or will it be with PS at the end of 2016. If I am TLG I retire no modulars in 2015 and retire both PC and PS at the end of 2016. Right now modular collectors and resellers are in a panic after TH so sales for these 2 are huge right now and will be huge all year long. TLG knows in the USA resellers are going to clean out big box on these two sets all through 2015 so why help them out by retiring them in 2015. No reason to reduce production of either set in 2015 after retiring both GE and TH last year. PC sells unlike TH. Alot of big exclusives retired in 2014 so plenty of production slots are available.Keep pumping them out through 2015 limit 5 and cut production mid 2016 and limit 2 into retirement fall/end of 2016. If my goal is to maximize sales, give end users the greatest opportunity and hang resellers out to dry this is how I would play it. If PC was a dust collector like TH I could see it going soon but I do not believe that to be the case.

I also have a sneeking suspicion quite a few foiks will be going to a cinema at the end of 2015 and TLG may just come out with another additional movie poster sticker set with PC purchase at the end of this year ;)

Edited by asharerin
  • Like 1

I think there is a good chance PC is the next modular to go. The only question is will it be at the end of 2015 or will it be with PS at the end of 2016. If I am TLG I retire no modulars in 2015 and retire both PC and PS at the end of 2016. Right now modular collectors and resellers are in a panic after TH so sales for these 2 are huge right now and will be huge all year long. TLG knows in the USA resellers are going to clean out big box on these two sets all through 2015 so why help them out by retiring them in 2015. No reason to reduce production of either set in 2015 after retiring both GE and TH last year. PC sells unlike TH. Alot of big exclusives retired in 2014 so plenty of production slots are available.Keep pumping them out through 2015 limit 5 and cut production mid 2016 and limit 2 into retirement fall/end of 2016. If my goal is to maximize sales, give end users the greatest opportunity and hang resellers out to dry this is how I would play it. If PC was a dust collector like TH I could see it going soon but I do not believe that to be the case.

I also have a sneeking suspicion quite a few foiks will be going to a cinema at the end of 2015 and TLG may just come out with another additional movie poster sticker set with PC purchase at the end of this year ;)

I agree with this sentiment. With increased demand, why would TLG turn off the faucet? 

• Like 1

went to the LEGO store today, SOH code 35(6)R4 (code almost gone), Red5 45(6)R4, ToO 50R4

Just went to two stores here in Sydney Australia, plenty of SOH left at each, might just be because of the demographic here that we get more stock, didn't check the seal codes though, must have been at least 20 between the two stores I went to

Everybody is talking about PC, because TH retired early then expected. Probably I miss something because in general de policy of Lego didn't change. Incidents don't change the general line of production.

I rather expect based on the production date that the TB would go this year. And maybe PS. TH was IMHO an incident.

After the TH experience, I would pay close attention to LEGO Shop at Home order limits.  If PC drops to 2 before PS, I would have no problem believing it will be the first set to go, out of order or not.  In SW land, Red 5 before EV would also be out of order, no?  Judging by set numbers that is (10240 versus 10236).  But 'the signs' currently point to Red 5 going first (it's limit 2, for example).

I can think of some very popular sets, for example Harry Potter's The Burrow, that had ultrashort lifetimes.  I do think Lego will retire a terrible seller like the UCS B-Wing early, but I'm not sure that explains TH.  They may have just wanted to standardize the price point for modulars.  Or the big boxes annoyed the shelf stocking folks, but if that's an issue, then why is 10188 still in production?

I think Ed pointed out very clearly several times that the "rules" have changed.

I think people need to put less emphasis on years and more emphasis on other factors.  If LEGO decides to switch up EOL dates in major ways, then some resellers who buy early will benefit greatly.  People who try to time the market will have a harder time.

• Like 1