Retiring Soon - open speculation

In other news, I notice that DS is once again sold out everywhere except LEGO Shop at Home, where it is backordered until 2/22 in the US, and selling for $500 on eBay.  Can anyone recall what the most recent seal codes for this one are?  Obviously it will never retire, yes, I know, but since I'm an avid fan of the 10188 seal code drinking game, I try to stay up to date.

Can anyone recall what the most recent seal codes for this one are? Obviously it will never retire, yes, I know, but since I'm an avid fan of the 10188 seal code drinking game, I try to stay up to date.

I have a 46S4 ordered from LEGO Shop at Home.

Technically a set cannot be produced for more than 10 years as their own packing code "system" would have to be changed as they only have 1 digit for the year (sort of a Y2K time bomb). The packing codes are important for product recalls so they must be unique. Since 10188 came out in 2008 the last packing code we will see ever see is possibly 50S7 or 50R7 for North America....Yaaayyyy under 3 years to go!

• Like 3

Guest TabbyBoy

I have a 46S4 ordered from LEGO Shop at Home.

Technically a set cannot be produced for more than 10 years as their own packing code "system" would have to be changed as they only have 1 digit for the year (sort of a Y2K time bomb). The packing codes are important for product recalls so they must be unique. Since 10188 came out in 2008 the last packing code we will see ever see is possibly 50S7 or 50R7 for North America....Yaaayyyy under 3 years to go!

They'll skip manufacturing in 2018 % 2019 and then move to hexadecimal so the last batch rolling off the line will be 52SF or 52RF in 2026!  After that... if they can change to 5-digit set numbers, they can change to 5-digit seal codes.  So the DS could still be with us until 99999!  I'll be old & grey by then!

Someone mentioned the Ewok Village might be on the way out?  I have a half dozen, but I want a lot more.  I know this is like taking a shot in the dark, but what are the thoughts on why it's days might be numbered and where is a good place to get some, other than Lego Shop at Home.

Thanks!

-Roberto

The reasons for the possible retirement of EV are explained on the previous page of the thread - whether it happens this year or not is another thing.

Now Palace Cinema, is an interesting one. I say it goes in the final quarter of this year but I have no evidence to support that- apart from seeing it on quite a few shop shelves whereas PS and PR sell out as soon as they come into stock.

Here, it is the cheapest modular so, in theory, it should be selling better.

Edited by valenciaeric

The reasons for the possible retirement of EV are explained on the previous page of the thread - whether it happens this year or not is another thing.

Now Palace Cinema, is an interesting one. I say it goes in the final quarter of this year but I have no evidence to support that- apart from seeing it on quite a few shop shelves whereas PS and PR sell out as soon as they come into stock.

Here, it is the cheapest modular so, in theory, it should be selling better.

Since Lego "retired" the TH, they can do anything regarding retirement. The PC could go this year, or it could not. My prediction is that the PS goes this year. If the PC goes this year as well, it means that there will be only three modulars available in 2016, assuming that Lego releases  another one in the beginning of 2016.

Guest TabbyBoy

I will be starting my Crusade to start buying Ewok Village in a week or so, so if you don't have any yet please don't wait forever. Ed

I didn't think a glade of trees with "teddybears" was up your street ;-)

I just don't feel the love for this set and will pass on your advice, thanks anyway!

What are you guys smoking........EV, PC retiring this year?
why don't you just throw in the Slave 1 and the Tumbler.
If you remove all the sold out items and those meaningless Duplo sets on the "Hard to find" page, Lego would only have 1 page in that category.
I know this is an OPEN speculation thread, but please use some common sense and not just pull stuff out of the air to stir up the pot.

If you remove all the sold out items and those meaningless Duplo sets on the "Hard to find" page, Lego would only have 1 page in that category.

I know this is an OPEN speculation thread, but please use some common sense and not just pull stuff out of the air to stir up the pot.

I can only figure that the thrill must be saying that all sorts of ridiculous things are going to retire, then when one amazingly does, the person can say, "see, I told you it was going to retire!" Then they can live forever in BP lore.

• Like 1

That's no fun - everything is retiring always! F5 F5 F5!!!

??????

Ok for the PC but the Ewok village is a 2013 set (yoda displayed on it), it would not be surprising AT ALL to see it retire... two years later, on 2015.

Here the only 2013 sets still remaining are the UCS x-wing and the E. Village....

Or I'm missing something important so please share your point of view.

Edited by biniou

When did two years become the standard eol date? Try to answer that without using Town Hall as an example.

Pretty typical for most common retail sets, I think. Being a bit of a statistics geek, I would like to see some measures of central tendency for EOL based on theme, size, and availability. Maybe that's a good snow day project.