Retiring Soon - open speculation

Guest TabbyBoy

In my local John Lewis and TRU, TBs no longer on the shelves and the ones before were in well-handled boxes.  I still think this set is now winding down.

Why no love for the end jaylay? The other 3 micro world (cube) sets are appreciating nicely. Why won't this one do the same?

The cap will be low on these. I cant even off load a set of 4 for $180 and that's only a $10 increase on each. If bought at msrp that's considered a loss when the fees and shipping adds in.

At $21 each for MC The End...I think you can't lose, especially since it's only been out since March 2014.  Might as well...if it flops, my boys can build.  For clearance price, I'll take the plunge.  Can the fellow pickers please buy it out from LEGO Shop at Home so it'll be done?

At $21 each for MC The End...I think you can't lose, especially since it's only been out since March 2014. Might as well...if it flops, my boys can build. For clearance price, I'll take the plunge. Can the fellow pickers please buy it out from LEGO Shop at Home so it'll be done?

I agree. I think they'll be a great xmas sell. Those who buy the cave/farm/etc will pay $50+ to get the microworlds they missed out on.

What are the lastest thoughts on Arctic Batman, Daily Bugle, and all the Iron Man 3 sets?  The Iron Man 3 sets have to start disappearing before the Avengers 2 sets come out you would think?  

Is "I hope you got them cheap" a valid thought to pass along?  Actually, they'll do ok if you got them at discount.  Might be slow growers though.  I don't see how Daily Bugle can't be a winner?

• Like 1

You got this totally wrong. Investors care about expected returns, not maximal gains. On the contrary, they prefer smaller variance with the same expected returns if possible. What an efficient portfolio roughly does is eliminating a part of the variance while retaining the same expected returns.

So it avoids unnecessary risk. 

I'm not quite sure where you see the contradiction to what I said. What you describe as eliminating variance while retaining the same expected return is a completely different aspect and only applies as long as you got different investment opportunities with identical expected returns.

So in LEGO terms, if you have 2 sets for which you cannot draw any distinction in expected appreciation, you should rather invest in both sets  than just focus on one, since you get equal expected returns, but reduced variance.

However, as soon as you got the slightest indication that one set might perform better than the other, the question becomes if you rather want better expected returns or reduced variance. And at this point, you can only give recommendations as long as you know the investor's goals. Just recommending to go with a broader portfolio as general advice doesn't do that justice. That's pretty much all I was trying to say.

Edited by makromizer

What are the lastest thoughts on Arctic Batman, Daily Bugle, and all the Iron Man 3 sets? The Iron Man 3 sets have to start disappearing before the Avengers 2 sets come out you would think?

At this point, it's somewhat difficult to speculate super hero sets since they are refreshed quite often (minifigs & vehicles). I look at history sometimes for predicting. Will people really car for a white batman after they get use to seeing just about every color / version batman by the the 2016 is here. Think what Kenner did to Batman and Playmates did to TMNT. They saturated the market with the same products but diff colors, accessories, etc... Since Aquaman is available in other sets (I forget is Mr Freeze is going to be in the ip upcoming Joker Land set) and another Batbat is here, will people pay a decent premium for this set? I doubt it. Same goes for the Iron Man sets but the Mansion one might have potential.

The one on your list that intrigues me is the DB. While this set is sorta a disappointmt (size-wise), I'm not sure if we'll be seeing one w/in 2-3 years. I only have 2 DBs and 4 Iron Man MMs in my collection but I feel good with those #s since I rather spend elsewhere.

Essentially, I thiink DB will do fine and MM has an outside chance.

Edit. I don't think most people who buy the AA set will look for the Arctic set just for Mr. Freeze. The Ewok Village release didn't really help the past Endor sets in value. Additionally, we'll prob be seeing a Mr. Freeze refresh again or kids' parents might just selltle on the Capt Cold set.

• Like 1

For the poster above regarding the 31012 family house- if you can find it even at MSRP- in most retail outlets it is dead and gone. And a solid investment

For others nit-picking crappy reboots of Superhero sets that will never die/go away, save your money and buy the most exclusive/expensive and oldest set you can. It's a lot less fun than hunting Ninjago deals at K-mart, but will make you much more money down the line.

Remember: Batman has been done in so many different variations that he is now fighting a giant monkey that has gone "bananas". He has been reduced to that.

Next up: Bruce Wayne standing in line at the DMV.

Batman battles Hayfever.

Batman vs. a tax lien on Wayne Manor.

The well is running dry on these super-hero sets. Put your money where it counts: TLG exclusives.

• Like 2

Maybe it's all those people and their Ghost Rider MOCs.

I think it's just because this set is what lego designers can do when they do their best.

And on top of that, this set is quite a bargain. :) (I'm glad it's not a super heroes set, so it's not $10/15 more expensive)

My problem with ultra agents is that if you take a look at the old semi set, the new one is almost an exact remake even down to the box art. I think it is cool but have none for investment. The performance on the original is only sos os. Not sure why a remake would do better. I am staying away.

The well for super heroes is by no means running dry...

The "giant monkey" you talk of is a main villain connected to the Flash who is in the set along with another of "his" villains.

Batman is purely there to assist with the expansion of other Justice League members who have mostly been included in the current wave,

I bet this will continue to grow and expand especially with the 10year plan DC have with their movies.

Despite all the re-hashes of Batman, he still has a wealth of villains and potential themes that have remained untouched. If anything they are finally starting to tap into said well and look to be bring a lot more variety to the theme, which in turn will make for a bigger desire to complete collections of heroes and their rogue galleries...

A fair point.

I just miss the days of Batman fighting Bane, The Joker, The Riddler, and other arch-nemeses that are out to destroy him, our society, and the current human condition in general.

I enjoy a great monkey fight as much as the next guy, but find the upcoming line of Batman Lego builds underwhelming:

Batman Vs. Mid-life Crisis- Batman purchases a  '97 red Corvette, in fair condition,  and with reasonable mileage, from Craigslist

Batman Vs. Elevated Blood Pressure: Batman battles steaks and goes on an all-salad/low-carb diet

Batman Vs. his Alimony payments: Bruce Wayne works a second job at TGIF to make his child support payments

As a true fan of Batman, I hope the well hasn't run dry. Only time will tell. And although I haven't stayed current with his storyline, I relay with full confidence that I believe he will defeat that giant monkey.

• Like 4

A fair point.

I just miss the days of Batman fighting Bane, The Joker, The Riddler, and other arch-nemeses that are out to destroy him, our society, and the current human condition in general.

I enjoy a great monkey fight as much as the next guy, but find the upcoming line of Batman Lego builds underwhelming:

Batman Vs. Mid-life Crisis- Batman purchases a  '97 red Corvette, in fair condition,  and with reasonable mileage, from Craigslist

Batman Vs. Elevated Blood Pressure: Batman battles steaks and goes on an all-salad/low-carb diet

Batman Vs. his Alimony payments: Bruce Wayne works a second job at TGIF to make his child support payments

As a true fan of Batman, I hope the well hasn't run dry. Only time will tell. And although I haven't stayed current with his storyline, I relay with full confidence that I believe he will defeat that giant monkey.

First, Gorilla Grodd is a super-intelligent ape (not a monkey, there is a difference)

Second, he was/is legitimate Justice League villain (just watch JLU cartoons)

Lastly, if you ever watched Batman Beyond, you have already seen Batman / Bruce Wayne vs blood pressure / heart conditions :D :D :D

Edited by Darth_Raichu
  • Like 1

I humbly accept these counter-points! I can accept Batman fighting an intelligent ape, but if he is ever reduced to fist-fighting a sloth or small-mouth bass, I am done with him completely.

And even though Batman isn't "retiring" anytime soon- Brett Michaels should. How many more times should we all have to hear "every rose has its thorn"?

• Like 2