Retiring Soon - open speculation

Back on topic of retiring soon:

What are the thoughts on 76001 BAT vs Bane tumbler chase? Is it done? It's already up to $70 shipped on Amazon. I know a bunch of us got them bogo 40% off the sale price from target last year.

This is second time you posted this. What are you talking about or where are you a eyeing 70?!?! There are tons on Amazon for around 50.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Brickpicker mobile app

False. You want highest expected rate of return among other investments with the same variance and liquidity. If you find a better one you have to consider transaction costs. On the stock market they are 0. With LEGO they are substantial. Also you can't trade with too high volumes of LEGO, both because of handling costs and supply constraints.

Finance and investments is not that simple.

Yeah, no kidding. This was all in response to a discussion in the Daily Deals thread where people were asserting because they had no financial constraints, they had no need to consider things like opportunity costs. I agree, you do have to consider costs. I was just trying to make this point to the "I don't have to consider costs because I have no financial constraints" people.

If you had infinite capital, you would leave your money anywhere it was making money. You wouldn't have to choose because you would be looking for anything positive ev.  And yes, that would be the case because even if your capital was infinite, investment opportunities are finite. There are finite amounts of both stocks and Lego. Once you invested all you could in the best investments, you would still have money to invest. 

Back on topic of retiring soon:

What are the thoughts on 76001 BAT vs Bane tumbler chase? Is it done? It's already up to $70 shipped on Amazon. I know a bunch of us got them bogo 40% off the sale price from target last year.

I too only see this at around $50. Not sure what you are referring to.

I too only see this at around $50. Not sure what you are referring to.

Amazon app brings up an alternate / merchant created listing when I scan a UPC. I didn't realize that it wasn't linking to the primary amazon listing.

Amazon is great, except for the endless random multiple listings for the same items with lots of disparity in pricing.

I think PS will not go anywhere.. I called Lego LEGO Shop at Home and acted like a ignorant customer. The guy on the phone was checking production dates from this set in the system and said that he could see that the production of the PS will last till late 2016. For what it's worth..

Furthermore some other connection I have who are very active in the Lego community are confirming this. PS is going nowhere.. maybe Lego is shortening the supply, but the set will be available for a long time. They also say it will go EOL the end of 2016... seems to me like a new DS. It's a very good selling set, and Lego has according to my sources no plans to discontinue it.

Now, again for what it's worth.. it's not confirmed, do what you like to do with respect to this set. I'm not buying anymore at this moment.

I have heard the same. When a set is a hot seller (DS, PS, T1 etc) their lives get extended beyond the initial planned production runs provided there are no licensing issues. If they are slow movers (TH , HE etc) they do not get extended. TH had a normal life but was not extended like FB, GE (and apparently PS) so it appears it was retired "early" or "out of order". This is not the case, it was simply not extended beyond the normal shelf life as it made no financial sense to keep it around. IMO the exclusive sets that were bumped from limit 2 to 5 at LEGO Shop at Home USA in Oct 2014 have all been extended and like you I have heard 2016 mentioned more than once.

I was wondering this too. Why is it still available. That worries me. Is this going to be the first winter village themed dud? I have 4 and am stopping there I think. This one has me concerned. At this rate it will be available longer than SW.

I don't have any and was going to buy two right now....one to build during Christmas and one to sell.  I have about $1200 to use and I am trying to wisely pick the best sets.  It's not often I have extra cash to invest so I am trying to choose wisely.

I don't have any and was going to buy two right now....one to build during Christmas and one to sell. I have about $1200 to use and I am trying to wisely pick the best sets. It's not often I have extra cash to invest so I am trying to choose wisely.

There are other highly sought after exclusives that will probably outperform the WVM. As a build, it's nice as it brings the entire scene together.

Ex Astris, Scientia.

I was wondering this too. Why is it still available. That worries me. Is this going to be the first winter village themed dud? I have 4 and am stopping there I think. This one has me concerned. At this rate it will be available longer than SW.

I am surprised how long it has taken to sell out.

i have 15 and would buy a few more but Santa's workshop is kickin' so much butt, its hard to justify spending $30 more on msrp when looking at how well SW has done and will likely continue to do.

it may take a little longer to get good returns, or it may be like the ugly duckling BTTF delorean and once it goes bye bye everyone will wish they had one more.

The guy on the phone was checking production dates from this set in the system and said that he could see that the production of the PS will last till late 2016. For what it's worth.

Not disputing the content of your message, but I'm skeptical that Joe Schmo Lego store employee has access to some online database of set retirement dates or future production run data. That info is golden, Lego knows it, and if this were true, it would be widely known and reported in this community.

He was just blowing smoke and giving an opinion with this info, IMHO.

• Like 1

I made a trip today to get some retired sets (got a unimog, a GE, summer camp, etc.) and I saw some sets in a store which had a 30% discount.

IMHO it's a sign of retirement, it's an open discussion so take it as you wish:

- microfighters wave 1

- guardians of the galaxy sets

- batman 76013 Joker steam roller

- star wars 75015 Tank Droid

- some Friends sets (can't remember for sure, these was $/

Not disputing the content of your message, but I'm skeptical that Joe Schmo Lego store employee has access to some online database of set retirement dates or future production run data. That info is golden, Lego knows it, and if this were true, it would be widely known and reported in this community.

He was just blowing smoke and giving an opinion with this info, IMHO.

Respectfully Lego LEGO Shop at Home has access to their databases that has a field called planned production date.  It can change and be moved either way but there is a field and it does have a suggested date in it.  I think it may have some merit.

Respectfully Lego LEGO Shop at Home has access to their databases that has a field called planned production date. It can change and be moved either way but there is a field and it does have a suggested date in it. I think it may have some merit.

Fair enough. My understanding is that this is the info for when a set will be available in the event that it currently isn't in stock. Same data shows on LEGO Shop at Home on certain sets. This is different than EOL dates or *final* production runs. This later data is known to TLG, but closely held.

Fair enough. My understanding is that this is the info for when a set will be available in the event that it currently isn't in stock. Same data shows on LEGO Shop at Home on certain sets. This is different than EOL dates or *final* production runs. This later data is known to TLG, but closely held.

I absolutely agree that all they are doing is reading a field that can change and the people who know for sure is a closely held group until they release the news...

This thread is going to get more (or less) interesting when many sets everyone is talking about switch to "Available Now" and stay that way for 7 months.

I think for several sets you are right.  But the question is are you telling me to not order the stack of Red Five's I am getting ready to order? :)