Retiring Soon - open speculation

To me, tb is simply a bridge and nothing else as I never learn of its existence until I am an adult. Statue of liberty? Iconic. Eiffel tower? Iconic. Taj? Iconic. These are structures that I learned about in the books, in movies, in travels, pretty much every where. You display the structure, 9 out of 10 people instinctly know what they are. Tb caters more specifically to people interested in iconic structures but the market for it is simply narrower than the other before it. In fact, SOH is likely more iconic than tb since it's a building. So most of the market for it is likely in Britain. To me, tb is almost like a Brooklyn Bridge, nothing significant, other than to locals.

Personally I find TB just as iconic as the other buildings you mentioned. It's a structure you learn of in all kinds of books, movies and pretty much everywhere. 9 out of 10 people know what it is. It's a bridge that's not like any other bridges. Practically it's two towers connected by bridge parts.

Edited by inversion
  • Like 1

To me, tb is simply a bridge and nothing else as I never learn of its existence until I am an adult. Statue of liberty? Iconic. Eiffel tower? Iconic. Taj? Iconic. These are structures that I learned about in the books, in movies, in travels, pretty much every where. You display the structure, 9 out of 10 people instinctly know what they are. Tb caters more specifically to people interested in iconic structures but the market for it is simply narrower than the other before it. In fact, SOH is likely more iconic than tb since it's a building. So most of the market for it is likely in Britain. To me, tb is almost like a Brooklyn Bridge, nothing significant, other than to locals.

You cater pretty well to a certain prejudice about US Americans, by about pretty much everyone else. Think about the TB as something like what the golden gate bridge might be to US Americans - just to everyone else in the world, plus some US Americans too. :-)

I agree with you. I also hope that Lego will come out with the Greek Parthenon and Roman coliseum to add to that list...

• Like 1

I agree with you. I also hope that Lego will come out with the Greek Parthenon and Roman coliseum to add to that list...

Wow. Those would be great! Especially cool if they did them as 2-in-1 and you can pick between building as they are today and as they originally stood.

Wow. Those would be great! Especially cool if they did them as 2-in-1 and you can pick between building as they are today and as they originally stood.

An Australian actually constructed the whole Lego Acropolis (link below)! It's huge! I also like your idea of a two in one.

http://lego.gizmodo.com/magnificent-lego-acropolis-is-made-of-120-000-bricks-678479887

Guest TabbyBoy

I thought this thread was for updating actual eol sets. There is a thread for discussion. Unless there is a retired product tag, it doesn't count here.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

Not really it has "speculation" in the forum title which is open for comments.  I only post EOL items if I see "Retired Product" on LEGO Shop at Home.

i'm not sure why the sudden change of heart of the tower bridge.  in the other thread about what sets could reach 5x RRP, many were saying how the tower bridge could be one of the next $2,000 sets.   including myself.  i love the TB.  it's plenty iconic.  it looks amazing on display and it has tons of pieces for a great price.  what's not to love.  so what if it's been out a long time.  some people on here are stocking up, others are passing.  if it just suddenly goes, then what... 

$700 prediction is extremely conservative IMO.  i love this set, i'm sticking to that and i think it will do great.  pass on it all you want.  i'll take em. 

this set deserves more love. 

• Like 2

Not really it has "speculation" in the forum title which is open for comments.  I only post EOL items if I see "Retired Product" on LEGO Shop at Home.

His post was originally in the "Retired Product Update Thread", not sure why it was moved here.

edit - oh, looks like entire conversation was moved here.. where it belongs..

Edited by toycrazedchris
  • Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

I for one love the TB.  Nothing made me feel more proud when it displayed the Olympic rings in 2012.  What a bridge it is!  Taj Mahal had better take it's gloves off!

I for one love the TB.  Nothing made me feel more proud when it displayed the Olympic rings in 2012.  What a bridge it is!  Taj Mahal had better take it's gloves off!

I bought a loose Taj Mahal a few years back and built it, but I was very unimpressed with the finished set. It didn't have that wow factor, so I sold it. Sure, it's worth a lot of money, but TB looks way better.

I'll second this. TB was the set that brought me back to Lego 3 or 4 years ago and resparked my interest. Since then I've built a slew of great sets including SOH and the UCS Tumbler. TB still blows them all away in terms of build enjoyment. Tumbler inches it out in displayability.