Retiring Soon - open speculation

I don't consider myself big time so to speak but from reading on here I'd say I'm bigger them the majority.

With that said I'm skipping the pet shop. I have one that I essentially got used and for a ridiculous cheap price.

I could buy pet shops.... Or I could continue closing in on my goal of at least 30 tower bridges which I am getting close to.....

Just my two cents. Goes back to wouldn't rather have 30-40 haunted houses or a diverse portfolio?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Brickpicker mobile app

Nah, you are big-time. Don't be so humble.

Wow. your brain works different.

Lol.

Truth. And it's worth about 50.00 bucks.... So that falcon aint bad.

I'm good at this because I view everything as money. Everythingggg.

I've been known to part out cds. Separate from jewel case, sell cd with booklet separate as its more profitable and sell lots of 20-100 empty jewel cases. Quite profitable.

Lol.

Truth. And it's worth about 50.00 bucks.... So that falcon aint bad.

I'm good at this because I view everything as money. Everythingggg.

I've been known to part out cds. Separate from jewel case, sell cd with booklet separate as its more profitable and sell lots of 20-100 empty jewel cases. Quite profitable.

I really wish i had this mindset. I might one day with some work but for now I am just far too lazy.

It's all a another of preference. I think unless you are getting sets at a discount and everything is even it's Better Going all on on something and buying and diversifying come slater if you at your quota. I ignored everyone's advice a few years ago on stocks and want all in on one stock.... I'm now up 4 grand.

I'm not talking about past tense and living in hindsight. I'm talking about two sets available right now. It's good that some disagree with me. It means you will have less competition down the line selling your ps and I'll have less selling my tb.

Sounds to me like a bold statement should be backed up with if the Pet Shop outperforms the Tower Bridge you should have to assemble all 30 Tower Bridges into one lifesize scale tower bridge.

Then you can put your deloreans on the bridge and smash them all.

Edited by sroster
  • Like 2

So true...people don't realize yet. Too bad about Tower Bridge as it looks like a great set. If only it retired in 2013.

There are many people out there that keep talking about buying it, but don't.  They'll be looking for it when it's gone, along with the current young-ins that can't afford it yet.

• Like 1

Well I will get destroyed for this one but I am asking in terms of if I am alone.

Does anyone else feel the same way...

I love the UK.  I think they are a great ally.  I do not think we treat them very well.  I think they deserve a lot more respect.

I know the Tower Bridge is iconic.

But I just do not see the Tower Bridge doing monumental things in the US.  I am not all excited about it.  The 2 I had I got rid of for a 10% profit and moved on.

Is there anyone else out there that feels that way?

• Like 3

Well I will get destroyed for this one but I am asking in terms of if I am alone.

I love the UK.  I think they are a great ally.  I do not think we treat them very well.  I think they deserve a lot more respect.

But I just do not see the Tower Bridge doing monumental thing

s in the US.  I am not all excited about it.  The 2 I had I got rid of for a 10% profit and moved on.

I feel the same and I am european. I wouldn't buy it myself.

Maybe this is a USA vs Europe i have a lot of fait is this set. When i just started with lego this was the set i had to have. Why? It looks great better then eifel tower i think, and here comes the american thought the bigger the better. This is the biggest set out there, more then 4000 pieces just for

Edited by rich79

Regardless of country of origin, this is what I see. This is a good set, but not great. Somehow it's missing that tingling feeling some other sets produce. That little extra which makes you 'wow' when you see it, like HH or SSD does. That 'wow' is what produces the extra yield.

Also I don't want to mix together this argument with the modulars, because they make up a street, thus making them collectible to a high degree and resulting in a better perception of certain sets which couldn't be valued as high as a standalone. It's true that these large landmarks are also a series, but only released infrequently and well, you just don't join up a Tower Bridge with a Sydney Opera House in one scene. In an economic jargon they are not complements exactly.

My prediction is that returns will be quite moderate compared to some other options.

Edited by inversion
  • Like 1

But I just do not see the Tower Bridge doing monumental things in the US.  I am not all excited about it.  The 2 I had I got rid of for a 10% profit and moved on.

I don't care for it either. I haven't bought any and don't plan on it. Don't care if it breaks $700 or more. 

• Like 2

this topic  has been discussed multiple times.  check out the TB thread and one of the first investing articles from 2012.

tower bridge is iconic and has global appeal.  just not sure where it ranks with the Eiffel Tower, Taj Mahal, etc...  regardless, it will do fine even in the US once it finally retires (more like "if")..

• Like 1

Just a bit of random tower bridge info that I found amusing. I went and saw Unbroken the other night at the theatre. Three trailers in a row before the movie featured the Tower Bridge from aerial shots. Not even exaggerating, three in a row.  I found that pretty funny and I only noticed it because of the Lego set. And then I started wondering "man if these retire now maybe these new movies will make people want the tower bridge! I'll be rich!". And then I ate some popcorn. 

Anyways, sorry for the interruption, now back to your regularly scheduled guessing of what set will retire next. 

I don't feel any yes any lego set will ever produce returns like the older sets. But I see a very easy 500-600 on tb.

I have 18 right now not including the one I built for myself. My average price paid has Been 167.00.

That is a win in my book.

• Like 2

I don't feel any yes any lego set will ever produce returns like the older sets. But I see a very easy 500-600 on tb.

I have 18 right now not including the one I built for myself. My average price paid has Been 167.00.

Well that price is ridiculous. I think we would all buy them up at that price. Good luck on it retiring. You will profit very well, it's just a matter of when.

Here I was thinking I did good getting mine at $181 after tax in the WM fire sale. Thanks for crushing my dreams, hxc! 

edit - wait, that $181 is dollar cost averaged with some others.. but still..

Edited by toycrazedchris

I think an equal amount of chima speedorz would do better. If anyone would like to sell their towers for below RRP to clear space let me know. All I know is that this is an adult set only. Enough said for me. Please, please stay away. Supply and demand later is all that matters.

True, but why chance it? Years ago I put my faith in the Cafe Corner over Market Street for the same type of reasoning and it turns out that Market Street would have been the better buy from a straight investment perspective. So if my options are to buy 40 Haunted Houses or 10 HH, 10 GE, 10 R2 and 10 TH (I know not same amount invested but just for easy example), I would choose the mixed portfolio for several reasons.

But it would be easier to sell a variety of well performing sells quicker without it affecting its price much vs. selling 40 of the same sets in say 1 month. So I would not just buy many of just the one modular but I wouldn't buy 10 of each modular either.

To me, tb is simply a bridge and nothing else as I never learn of its existence until I am an adult. Statue of liberty? Iconic. Eiffel tower? Iconic. Taj? Iconic. These are structures that I learned about in the books, in movies, in travels, pretty much every where. You display the structure, 9 out of 10 people instinctly know what they are. Tb caters more specifically to people interested in iconic structures but the market for it is simply narrower than the other before it. In fact, SOH is likely more iconic than tb since it's a building. So most of the market for it is likely in Britain. To me, tb is almost like a Brooklyn Bridge, nothing significant, other than to locals.