Retiring Soon - open speculation

What is making you acquire Pet Shops if you think the Death Star which should go the end of this year will blow the doors off everything else?

my wife frown's upon me purchasing the man doll house.  

she was also the one who was not a believer in the SSD so i have a few same number of DS as SSD to prove her wrong again (4).

i get/got thumbs up for more modulars , R2 D2, Simpsons House, Sea Cow TB.

since its her money too i have to respect her input(most of the time ).

so for the sake of marital bliss i forgo buying more DS even though i expect emazers will be proven right again when it retires and shoots up quickly as actual collectors wait to get one and then realize the price is only going to continue to rise and there is a mad dash to get one under $750.  just like SSD.

what makes you think deathstar is going anywhere?

- oos at retailers including amazon.

- msrp boosted by 40% at target.

- limit 2 at shop at home.

- been out since May 2008.

- no retiring soon tag.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

my wife frown's upon me purchasing the man doll house.  

she was also the one who was not a believer in the SSD so i have a few same number of DS as SSD to prove her wrong again (4).

i get/got thumbs up for more modulars , R2 D2, Simpsons House, Sea Cow TB.

since its her money too i have to respect her input(most of the time ).

so for the sake of marital bliss i forgo buying more DS even though i expect emazers will be proven right again when it retires and shoots up quickly as actual collectors wait to get one and then realize the price is only going to continue to rise and there is a mad dash to get one under $750.  just like SSD.

- oos at retailers including amazon.

- msrp boosted by 40% at target.

- limit 2 at shop at home.

- been out since May 2008.

- no retiring soon tag.

Thanks cladner.  I agree with you on everything including respect for the wife in this.

It crosses my mind that I will start selling my Arkham Asylums and parlay them into more Death Stars.  That should really confuse many I would think.

To the question of why do you think the Death Star is retiring this will sound corny but I believe for every reason above as well as the Brick Show statement on it to add one more reason.  I like those guys and I believe they are being honest in the information they got that said it is going to retire in March of next year.  Add the new movie in and add the public buying every Lego Star Wars thing that exists this December and I think it moves up to be retired by the end of this year.  I have a few and will get a few more.

Since the rumored upcoming Falcon is not supposed to be a UCS set, maybe it will be a huge playset to replace the Death Star? Doesn't have to be a UCS to be priced high. LOL 

Where did you hear the new falcon isn't UCS? I haven't seen anything but SWAGs on this site, do you have something more concrete that I missed? Or just based on chatter here?

I believe it was at Eurobricks. In the post that gives the info about the UCS Echo Base. His source confirmed that there IS a Falcon coming but it is not UCS. Could be wrong but i doubt it. Slave 1 and a TIE already confirmed.We already have the Sandcrawler, and X-Wing. There's no way they are going to add on another UCS. In fact, personally, i suspect that the Echo Base probably isn't a UCS either. 

Here's the link. http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=98085&st=3325#entry2090402    Post #3334. If you haven't heard, they also listed the fall sets as well. The original post about the fall sets has been pulled. Must have been pretty accurate. But everyone already wrote down the list. The wolf designation was used as a place-keeper without giving away any info. Here was the list:

Classic

75091 Flash Speeder

Here's the link. http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=98085&st=3325#entry2090402    Post #3334. If you haven't heard, they also listed the fall sets as well. The original post about the fall sets has been pulled. Must have been pretty accurate. But everyone already wrote down the list. The wolf designation was used as a place-keeper without giving away any info. Here was the list:

Classic

75091 Flash Speeder

I don't consider myself big time so to speak but from reading on here I'd say I'm bigger them the majority.

With that said I'm skipping the pet shop. I have one that I essentially got used and for a ridiculous cheap price.

I could buy pet shops.... Or I could continue closing in on my goal of at least 30 tower bridges which I am getting close to.....

Just my two cents. Goes back to wouldn't rather have 30-40 haunted houses or a diverse portfolio?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Brickpicker mobile app

Edited by hxckid88

It's funny how his description on condition states "no dings or creases". That theft deterrent is notorious for causing major creases and dents.

Edited by oneknightr
  • Like 1

Just my two cents. Goes back to wouldn't rather have 30-40 haunted houses or a diverse portfolio?

I'd rather have a diverse portfolio of equally performing sets. Sure, it's easy to say after the fact that buying 50 of set x would have been better, but bobody knows exactly how any one set will perform compared against an equivalent set.

• Like 1

So that falcon is actually a really good buy.....

Funny one day I was in a restaurant waiting for one of those buzzers to go off they gave me to let me know food was ready. Was taking foreverrrr, I looked up value of said buzzer.... Was almost worth it over eating. Haha

I'd rather have a diverse portfolio of equally performing sets. Sure, it's easy to say after the fact that buying 50 of set x would have been better, but bobody knows exactly how any one set will perform compared against an equivalent set.

Agreed but we can make educated guesses. And I'd be willing to bet that you would struggle finding a person who thinks the ps will out perform the tb.

I don't consider myself big time so to speak but from reading on here I'd say I'm bigger them the majority.

With that said I'm skipping the pet shop. I have one that I essentially got used and for a ridiculous cheap price.

I could buy pet shops.... Or I could continue closing in on my goal of at least 30 tower bridges which I am getting close to.....

Who wouldn't rather have 30-40 Grand Carousels? Who wouldn't rather have 30-40 Green Grocers? It's easy to say this in hindsight.

As to your point of whether the PS could outperform the TB: I highly doubt it, but it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility. If you want to bet big on a set, go ahead but don't point to arbitrary success stories from the past as justification for it.

• Like 1

Agreed but we can make educated guesses. And I'd be willing to bet that you would struggle finding a person who thinks the ps will out perform the tb.

True, but why chance it? Years ago I put my faith in the Cafe Corner over Market Street for the same type of reasoning and it turns out that Market Street would have been the better buy from a straight investment perspective. So if my options are to buy 40 Haunted Houses or 10 HH, 10 GE, 10 R2 and 10 TH (I know not same amount invested but just for easy example), I would choose the mixed portfolio for several reasons.

Speaking of the Falcon 7965,,,,, do you think this one is stolen?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MILLENNIUM-FALCON-Star-Wars-Lego-Set-7965-1254pcs-2013-/131381161585?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item1e96ed6e71

$_57.JPG

Maybe he's just an employee in a toy shop and sell sets he doesn't own. As soon as his smartphone tell him this set is sold on ebay, he just buy this set in his store, with profits.

It's all a another of preference. I think unless you are getting sets at a discount and everything is even it's Better Going all on on something and buying and diversifying come slater if you at your quota. I ignored everyone's advice a few years ago on stocks and want all in on one stock.... I'm now up 4 grand.

I'm not talking about past tense and living in hindsight. I'm talking about two sets available right now. It's good that some disagree with me. It means you will have less competition down the line selling your ps and I'll have less selling my tb.

It's all a another of preference. I think unless you are getting sets at a discount and everything is even it's Better Going all on on something and buying and diversifying come slater if you at your quota. I ignored everyone's advice a few years ago on stocks and want all in on one stock.... I'm now up 4 grand.

I'm not talking about past tense and living in hindsight. I'm talking about two sets available right now. It's good that some disagree with me. It means you will have less competition down the line selling your ps and I'll have less selling my tb.

We'll agree to disagree ;)