Retiring Soon - open speculation

I had two Lego store employees in two different locations tell me the same thing about PS. They said they weren't getting anymore, but who knows for sure. You can still add up to 5 in your cart on LEGO Shop at Home.

its a sting operation, they're telling everyone they think might be brickpickers so they can boost sales. Lol j/k

The ones who wanted to know wich resellers (or stores):

A-Tembo, Bart Smit and Intertoys.

It's quick after TH, but TH retired earlier then normal. 

Most of the modular sets retire after 4 years unless they are not populair. in case of TH (released in 2012), this set was less populair. 

PS was released in 2011, so retirement was eminent.

the only technical sign missing pointing towards PS retirement is limit 2 purchase at shop at home.

otherwise its showing the same pattern as previous 3 modular retirements both expected and unexpected.

even with target's elevated price it has been out of stock most of the time though in stock now.

i also haven't seen a palace cinema in a store and that is also out of stock everywhere at the moment except shop at home - don't think that's retiring yet so its hard to know what's going on with any certainty.

eitherway, PS's eventual disappearance from purchasability can only be hastened by the unexpected retirement of the TH with the resulting change in hoarding/investing behavior and its the next on the docket by chronology.  also what other EOL-worthy sets are there to pour your money into?  at this point DS-believers have there money locked up - i don't hear about anyone doubling down there even though that will blow the doors off almost anything else you could buy now.  ToO prospects are looking better given the performance of UG.  but there is no SSD.  no HH.  maybe the money is going into Red 5's but don't hear much enthusiasm there. Tumblers - sure but that's not retiring anytime soon either apparently.  i think there probably is a lot more modular hoarding going on now because of the TH.

i am purchasing PS's 1 at a time on a regular basis every 14-16 days or so from shop at home though since its the next modular that would be slated for the ax.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 3

What I need to add is that the supply line from lego was malfunctioning the last months. Every toystore I hit yesterday (many) were almost empty of lego and waiting for new supplies (hopefully in feb or march). So it could be in a month or two the PS is back. And retailers/resellers now try to take advantage of the scarcity in stores. Who knows. I have my quota of these. So I am ok no matter what.

the only technical sign missing pointing towards PS retirement is limit 2 purchase at shop at home.

otherwise its showing the same pattern as previous 3 modular retirements both expected and unexpected.

even with target's elevated price it has been out of stock most of the time though in stock now.

i also haven't seen a palace cinema in a store and that is also out of stock everywhere at the moment except shop at home - don't think that's retiring yet so its hard to know what's going on with any certainty.

eitherway, PS's eventual disappearance from purchasability can only be hastened by the unexpected retirement of the TH with the resulting change in hoarding/investing behavior and its the next on the docket by chronology.  also what other EOL-worthy sets are there to pour your money into?  at this point DS-believers have there money locked up - i don't hear about anyone doubling down there even though that will blow the doors off almost anything else you could buy now.  there is no SSD.  no HH.  maybe the money is going into Red 5's but don't hear much enthusiasm there.  i think there is a lot more modular hoarding going on now. 

i am purchasing PS's 1 at a time on a regular basis every 14-16 days or so from shop at home though since its the next modular that would be slated for the ax.

What is making you acquire Pet Shops if you think the Death Star which should go the end of this year will blow the doors off everything else?