Retiring Soon - open speculation

They make more sets now than ever before, but I definitely don't remember a time where it seemed like SO MANY sets were retiring at one time. It's a pretty huge amount.

Can you imagine the black hole we get into when all this retirements are done and come to a hold for a while?

It is like when you finish watching the full 6 seasons of "the Soprano's" in three weeks time. After that I did not know what to do with my life anymore.

• Like 1

I expect pretty quiet around here once these are in the history books. That being said how many of a first run theme should an investor have? Ie fairground mixer. If we will get 1 per year then the mixer being the first should be a goldmine. I am thinking of going 30-40 deep in 2015 on this one. I may hold off and see how much efcort lego will put into the ferris wheel. Will the mixer be a market street?

I expect pretty quiet around here once these are in the history books. That being said how many of a first run theme should an investor have? Ie fairground mixer. If we will get 1 per year then the mixer being the first should be a goldmine. I am thinking of going 30-40 deep in 2015 on this one. I may hold off and see how much efcort lego will put into the ferris wheel. Will the mixer be a market street?

If they make a Tilt-A-Whirl, they're obligated to finally create a vomit brick.

• Like 6

That's why you need to buy the BTTF Delorean, go ahead in time 10-15 years, and find out what new first run releases sold well and determine what to buy :)

Maybe we'll get a better idea of the investment potential of the Fairground Mixer once we see what the Ferris Wheel set will look like.  Similar to the Kwik-E-Mart with the Simpsons house.  Both are second-year iterations of the same theme.

Research Institute seems to be done for sure since it is also discounted in the January 1st sale on LEGO Shop EU. Since almost all the discounted sets have already been sold out for weeks or even months, this so called "sale" is hardly more than a retirement confirmation fest. OK for me, but a real sale would also have been nice...

Your the second person bringing this up... I ordered 4 from Toys R Us at $49.99. A series completionist will want this and I agree it is exiting stage left...

After 6 months??

Is this confirmed that just because some stuff is on sale in Europe that they're retiring here is the US? Santa was on sale too...no way that thing is done...help me out here.

After 6 months??

Is this confirmed that just because some stuff is on sale in Europe that they're retiring here is the US? Santa was on sale too...no way that thing is done...help me out here.

You may be right... I heard similar comments a couple of weeks ago but do not recall.

it is a Toys R Us exclusive... It is sold out on LEGO Shop at Home.

Can anyone help?

After 6 months??

I think it's just a slow mover so going on sale. Looks to be a TRU exclusive so potential it may be around for a while?

Either the Lego site is all jacked up, highly likely, or we might be getting ready to see some "retired" tags.

Searching for 76000-76009 for the Super Hero set yields no results.

Same with some Technic sets in the 42000 range.

LOTR sets aren't showing up.

Using search outside of their site can still bring up the page, but there is nothing on it, ie OOS or retired.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Arctic-Batman-vs-Mr-Freeze-Aquaman-on-Ice-76000

There are probably others, but these are the ones I noticed right off the bat.

Either the Lego site is all jacked up, highly likely, or we might be getting ready to see some "retired" tags.

Using search outside of their site can still bring up the page, but there is nothing on it, ie OOS or retired.

Yeah... it's a real massacre! Makes it interesting to make a list and make a roadtrip and harvest the interesting retirees. 

Good observation.

Your the second person bringing this up... I ordered 4 from Toys R Us at $49.99. A series completionist will want this and I agree it is exiting stage left...

I ordered three of these last night for 40 euro each together with three 70813 Movie Rescue Reinforcements for 50 euro each. So I will have these corners covered.

Looking at Architecture at LEGO Shop at Home and the Imperial Hotel is not to be found. What am I missing? It's discounted at Amazon and WM.

Very strange.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Imperial-Hotel-21017

There is no price or buy button or anything.

Don't think anyone cares though, after all, Tumblers are available if you haven't heard.

Edited by mscheaf
  • Like 1