Retiring Soon - open speculation

Jokerland kicked out AA.

Indeed an UCS* vehicule cannot kick a playset...

If there was 50 UCS and 60 batman playsets, it would not be the same, but here it's 1-1 so no way the tumbler is supposed to be considered as the biggest Batman set aimed to kids. They don't have the same age ratio (12+ / 16+). The tumbler can't even turn its wheels !

But I'm not sure that Jokerland will be the new biggest batman playset and replace the AA. Look at the Batcave 6860 or the Funhouse 6857, they were both available at the time of the AA. If Jokerland is a 99 dollars set as rumors told us, then it doesn't mean we can't have an other $199 batman playset before the end of 2015. Let's say a batcave for example...

*officially an UCS or not, it's the same idea because of the 16+ ages.

Tumbler kicked out AA. Why shouldn't Kwik E Mart do the same to the Simpsons House? Most licensed themes (except Star Wars) don't have multiple exclusives at once.

I understand your point, but I think because of the lack of Simpsons sets, the House will remain for awhile. When the Kwik E Mart releases, people will pay attention to the House if they originally didn't and might want to start collecting them all. It would be foolish for LEGO to stop production of one exclusive in a licensed theme immediately upon release of another, when there are so few sets within that theme. There will be an overlap and in the case of the Simpsons House, it is my opinion that it will be around for awhile.

Many of us were wondering if the House was a one and done sort of thing, so people didn't invest heavily in he set. If there is a whole line of exclusives for this theme, having them all would be a smart investment strategy.

• Like 3

Also I believe that in the new age of chaos 1 year long lifespans are highly unlikely unless the item is an utter flop. I might say we can confidently expect 2 years. Setting up an exclusive involves lots of costs and logistic, probably much more than of a regular set. LEGO wouldn't want to produce them only for 1 year.

What we won't have probably anymore are the 3-5 year shelf lifes, unless the set is a star seller. 

Edited by inversion
  • Like 1

Do we have a price point on Kwik E Mart yet? I didn't think it was going to be anything larger than a $100 set?

Not sure where I read this but I would swear it was also $199.99

Saw it somewhere else that specifically said $199.99 but for now, it's on Brickset ...http://brickset.com/sets/theme-The-Simpsons

71016: Kwik-E-Mart

Edited by dcdfan

Not sure where I read this but I would swear it was also $199.99

Saw it somewhere else that specifically said $199.99 but for now, it's on Brickset ...http://brickset.com/sets/theme-The-Simpsons

71016: Kwik-E-Mart

Wow!  Never expected that... They're going all out, but I think they casual fan would like something a little more accessible.

• Like 1

70809 Lord Business' Lair shows as "DISCONTINUED BY VENDOR" on YoYo. Haven't done much digging to see if that shows up for anything else...

That's interesting... However I just got the new Lego catalog in the mail today. The lord business lair was in it. I guess we will just have to wait and see. :)

70809 Lord Business' Lair shows as "DISCONTINUED BY VENDOR" on YoYo.  Haven't done much digging to see if that shows up for anything else...

Don't remember where I read it... but the first generation movie sets are retired this month (December 2014).

That would also explain the quite good sales on them we have seen.

70809 Lord Business' Lair shows as "DISCONTINUED BY VENDOR" on YoYo. Haven't done much digging to see if that shows up for anything else...

That's interesting... However I just got the new Lego catalog in the mail today. The lord business lair was in it. I guess we will just have to wait and see. :)

We learned this doesn't matter much. Lego had the 10221 SSD in their Spring catalog and it sold-out to never return. I

think it's mtore telling if a set is left out. If sets are shown (take some of the 1st gen Lego movie sets), it could be to help sell them faster.

Wow!  Never expected that... They're going all out, but I think they casual fan would like something a little more accessible.

Maybe the thinking is that these are pretty much AFOL-only-ish sets that most kids aren't going to play with, so they might as well release sets that will be well-reviewed and impressive enough in scale to tempt folks in their 30s/40s that grew up on the show. I know I'd rather have a couple cool large sets than 3 or 4 piddly sets (I'm looking at you, some of the LOTR and Hobbit sets)

• Like 1

I think you can look at the catalog and say if something is in it, it is probably staying around. I don't know if the same can be said for missing items, especially with how vast Lego's inventory is now.

We have recently seen examples of items being in the catalog, but already gone including the spring catalog with the SSD.

Also are you really from Antarctica?

If so, is Lego's current Arctic theme a hot seller there?

If so, is that dangerous?

• Like 6

so...have some nice NYE presents for my fellow brickpickers around the world:

1. pretty concrete confirmation on many soon-to-be-official retirement of many sets including SSD, TH, GE, HH, Sopwith etc (wont list them all so not to spoil some potential surprises)  -> Go to Sales & Deals page of the Lego Australia LEGO Shop at Home site AND also browse each of the Theme sections (especially the Exclusive Section) to see additional sets that were put on 'sale' even though long sold out.

2. heads-up on AWESOME New Year sale now on for Aussie Folk (208 items on sale, most at 30% off although many are already not available) -> Go to Sales & Deals page of the Lego Australia LEGO Shop at Home site.

3. heads-up on potential New Year sale for at least the European Folk (assuming the sets for the Aussie sale becomes live at midnight in your various regions) -> Go to Sales & Deals page of the Lego Australia LEGO Shop at Home site for a preview

Happy New Years!! Looks like 2015 will be a banner year for those of us lucky enough to listen the wise 'old' men's advice and stock up on exclusives over the past months and years! :)

• Like 2

I am confused, what "NEW" information are you saying? Most all of this has been discussed on here for quite a fee months.

most of it is not NEW, but 30% off a Sold Out set on the official Lego site is (apparently) pretty much confirmation that it will be retired shortly. So at least for me it is a very nice sign to see TH, HH, SSD, AA, R2D2, HE, MF, Research Institute and other sets that I have stocked up on (due to the great advice on this site) get this unofficial confirmation.

It was also a trigger for me to buy more Cargo Terminals and other sets that had some of the signs but very possibly could have come back next year.

lastly, if you go through theme by theme, you can see a crazy number of sets that are set to be retired soon which again has been discussed on this site but this level of confirmation on the lego site itself (not just in some dealer list) is also pretty sweet in my humble opinion. again, I am new to this game so maybe this is an annual ritual? (although I doubt on this level)