Retiring Soon - open speculation

I wanted opinions on if anyone thinks Lego 75021 Star Wars Republic Gunship is retiring or not?

It came out August 2013.

I am not looking (happy to hear) investment advice but I am more curious if it is going or not.

Kmart has them for $93 with $23 back in points for me, which would get me one at $93 and the next one at $70 or about $82 each.

Thinking about getting a couple.  I actually like the ship.

Crazy speculation here... are the first wave of SW Microfighters on the way out? WIth "Series 2" coming in 2015, I could see it. 

Would Microfighters see the increases Mixels have? 

Like I said, crazy speculation, but complete "sets" of these small money items tend to grow well for the first in a series. Compare prices of CMF series 1 and 2 or look at the growth in Mixels series 1. 

Thoughts? 

these microfighters along with the trooper battle packs are the best sw releases of 2014 imo.

i have 20 complete sets.  i also have a few extra MF's which are my favorite.

i hope they go soon.

i expect to more than double my money with average buy in at 20% off msrp.

I wanted opinions on if anyone thinks Lego 75021 Star Wars Republic Gunship is retiring or not?

It came out August 2013.

I am not looking (happy to hear) investment advice but I am more curious if it is going or not.

Kmart has them for $93 with $23 back in points for me, which would get me one at $93 and the next one at $70 or about $82 each.

Thinking about getting a couple.  I actually like the ship.

i think it is on the short list to go but because of the price point will take a while longer than all the smaller SW sets that have disappeared.

i haven't seen one in a lego store or regular retail store in months.

one set that also seem about to disappear is the batman bane tumbler - target, kmart and walmart totally sold out for online.  TRU only major vendor with any left.

Edited by cladner

I think what some people may not realize is that sets could be retiring faster and stock running lower simply because more people are on this site and hoping to make money. In a round about way that helps those who already buy an sell because the stock is lower for the regular retail customer and more quickly drives the aftermarket and retirement prices higher.

A couple of tips for sellers

The most important tip I could give anyone would be to sell on Craigslist and maybe Bricklink if possible before any other site, especially Craigslist. Simply bypassing all the ridiculous fees and shipping and even possibly boxing up the set will save you a ton of time and effort. Ebay also isn't very seller friendly in general, this will probably change in the future though. There are some other offshoot Ebay like sites but I haven't used them yet(eCrater). I've only sold 1 or 2 very large sets on Amazon and I'm always wary because their A-Z guarantee can really hurt the seller if the buyer claims anything. The buyer literally can provide no evidence and get a refund.

1. Unless you're at PowerSeller status, you usually won't be able to charge as much as those who are, nor will you get some of the benefits.

2. If you are planning to sell thousands of dollars worth of sets, you probably want to start an Ebay Store rather than just be a regular seller. I believe this runs anywhere from $30-50 more per month but it lowers the fees and gives you other benefits. You are usually held to a higher selling standard though which may be difficult to meet.

3. You probably want to open a Fedex/UPS account on each website and when shipping items compare all the rates. If you know someone who will let you ship out items from their business at their business rate you can save a good amount of money, but that's not possible for most people.

4. Use gift cards and coupons and promos to purchase boxes through Staples/Uline. Or like some people have said, if possible find a local store that throws lots of boxes and paper away such as a Vitamin Supplement store (GNC, Vitamin Shop) and see if you can get some of their throwaway boxes. Even if it's just for padding, it could be useful.

5. Package up your sets more securely than you think you need. Add extra padding because even when you pay for "premium" type shipping such as priority those FEDEX and UPS drivers will still may toss the boxes around or place heavier boxes on top of them when they shouldn't.

6. I've found that the insurance in some cases isn't worth buying. Unless your buyer agrees to file the insurance claim if you go through FEDEX you won't have an easy time filing the claim.

7. Never use FEDEX smartpost for anything valuable.. ever and Ebay will give you a shipping discount if you purchase through their website which uses either FEDEX or USPS. If you have a business account with a deal you will save more all the time but the EBAY discount is still better than nothing.

8. Reuse padding envelopes from stuff you buy and just reseal them with tape and put the label on top of the old one etc.

9. Use an excel spreadsheet to track differen't costs so you know how much money you're really making. You may also want to track how much time your spending to see if doing this investing and selling is even worth it because in many cases it won't be worth the stress and time for a couple hundred or even a few thousand extra dollars for anyone with a regular job or family.

This is exactly the kind of selling advice I am looking for as a noob. I am not trying to make a business out of this or make a bunch of money. I saw it as a way that I could afford to buy more Legos that my boys and I can build together, spending quality time with each other. Buying a few that would eventually pay for the one we built.

My questions are mainly around workflow. I.e. I just sold a set, now what is the most efficient and cost effective way to get that from my closet to his front doorstep. (Packing, weighing, printing labels, sourcing boxes etc). I don't really need the secret sauce recipes for boosting my visibility by selling 100 poly bags. While that is awesome info and I soaked it up, I see that type of info as the trade secret that could have the potential of impacting others sales which many are rightly concerned about. Thank you for taking the time to post those helpful tips.

This lego forum is a breath of fresh air and I love it. I also collect coins, you want to talk about cutthroat? Most collectors would rather take you to the cleaners than give a tip on buying or selling. I will do what I can to keep up the lego community friendliness that I have this experienced.

• Like 2

It came out August 2013.

Thinking about getting a couple. I actually like the ship.

I think so. It was on that list someone posted. I've made more money off of this set then any lego set I've ever sold. I've purchased over 50 in my time. Remember when kmart had them for 45.00....Have some for post eol,Parted out some and sold others as new. I've made around 2k from just this set and Its not even retired.

From a non star wars fan I think it's a really well done set.

Edited by hxckid88

You may want to pickup one of these electronic scales, they're on sale right now and they will save alot of time.  It will save hours of time for your to prepare your boxes ahead of time with pre-printed labels rather than standing in line at the post office or any other shipping office.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Scales-Table-Postal/dp/B004W7IOV4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418321477&sr=8-1&keywords=shipping+electronic+scale

On sale for about $20 and it works great.

• Like 1

Sorry about helping derail the thread.  I will bring it back by asking about EOL on Museum Break-in 60008.  I just picked one up at Target on an end cap where there were a bunch of other clearance items.  It's been out a little while.  Any signs on this one kicking the bucket?  I was surprised to see the downward trend in sales, seems like a cool little kit.

Doesn't it make sense to start or new thread or crash a relevant existing one instead of posting all of this seller "help" in the retiring speculation thread? At least take it to the DD thread where all the other chit chat takes place. lol

I moved it over to the Selling and Materials Guide thread.

FYI, 60022 Cargo Terminal has gone to "call to check for availability" at Shop @ Home, OOS at Amazon except through Quidsi and OOS at Target (though it's been that way for awhile).

Walmart is looking pretty good right about now.

still on walmart for $76. i order 3 through the amazon store Quidsi, as with walmart you just cant ever predict what shape the product will be in by the time it gets to the house. 

I would love to hear responses regarding the difference between:

1. Using this forum to learn what sets are "hot" and/or retiring only...

2. How to make money with those sets and efficient strategies for doing so.

Either BrickPicker is a Lego ACQUIRING community- or a comprehensive Lego INVESTING community. If it's an acquiring-community only, then I defer a congratulations to all of those who tell the modest collector and novice seller to go $%^3 themselves.

If this is a comprehensive Lego investment community, buying, storing, and selling are all equally valuable components of the Lego investing process and deserve fair attention.

If this forum is focused on acquisitions-only, then you are a champion for using the knowledge of this forum to tell you what sets to acquire, at the best prices, and why.

If this forum is a comprehensive Lego investing site, and you buy into the above philosophy, you're better defined as a parasite.

I would love to hear responses regarding the difference between:

1. Using this forum to learn what sets are "hot" and/or retiring only...

2. How to make money with those sets and efficient strategies for doing so.

Either BrickPicker is a Lego ACQUIRING community- or a comprehensive Lego INVESTING community. If it's an acquiring-community only, then I defer a congratulations to all of those who tell the modest collector and novice seller to go $%^3 themselves.

If this is a comprehensive Lego investment community, buying, storing, and selling are all equally valuable components of the Lego investing process and deserve fair attention.

If this forum is focused on acquisitions-only, then you are a champion for using the knowledge of this forum to tell you what sets to acquire, at the best prices, and why.

If this forum is a comprehensive Lego investing site, and you buy into the above philosophy, you're better defined as a parasite.

I know you really want to get your point across but can you please do it in a relevant thread instead of hijacking this one?

• Like 1

I think there are plenty of people on this forum who will help the novice sellers out there, just don't ask for a step by step instruction manual. People have to do some homework themselves and the only real teacher is experience. I think many members get upset for instance when a new member comes on the site and requests a list of sets to buy or the best methods when selling. The info is here. Search for it. Study it. Then ask educated questions. The founding fathers of this site hate lazy people.

• Like 9

I think there are plenty of people on this forum who will help the novice sellers out there, just don't ask for a step by step instruction manual. People have to do some homework themselves and the only real teacher is experience. I think many members get upset for instance when a new member comes on the site and requests a list of sets to buy or the best methods when selling. The info is here. Search for it. Study it. Then ask educated questions. The founding fathers of this site hate lazy people.

This was my point. I just didn't make it as clear. I'll help whoever. Many of you have my number. But I'm not going to write a guide for how to sell or give up tricks I use. I've been ealing and hustling since my teens and to this day I still learn new stuff. Experience really carries weight in the game.

Buy the should I buy this set what do I invest in is annoying. Besides why would you trust or listen to an online stranger. I don't even take investing advise from some of the closest people in my life.

• Like 2

This site caters to every type of LEGO fan, collector, reseller or whatever.  If people are looking for good deals and/or info on investing or just on LEGO in general, we have the friendliest group of members in the LEGO world.   There are plenty of blog articles that introduce selling, acquiring and storing in a general way.  I cannot offer help in selling LEGO sets because I haven't sold any, but I do pay attention when experienced eBay and Bricklink sellers speak of styles and strategies, so when I do unload my couple of sets, I won't make unnecessary mistakes.