Retiring Soon - open speculation

Sea Port is being counterfeited in its entirety (the entire set, including the box - Lego logo, if you ask for it). I would not invest in any of the smaller Super Heroes sets for this reason, unless you get them for at least 50% off retail. The counterfeiters sell them under the exact same set names and numbers, and they will be available forever at $15 each with free shipping from China. Lots of fake Iron Man minifigures and War Machine, in every color of the rainbow, are widely available at $1 per figure. This is a problem that has only been growing worse. For whatever reason, Super Heroes sets and figures are far more likely to be counterfeited than, say, Star Wars. Some collectors will want to shell out for the real thing, but lots of parents and kids will be content with cheap figures that look almost exactly the same.

If this is true, hopefully this will shift TLGs focus and strategies from the resellers to the counterfeiters! Edited by speedsausage
  • Like 1

Sea Port is being counterfeited in its entirety (the entire set, including the box - Lego logo, if you ask for it).  I would not invest in any of the smaller Super Heroes sets for this reason, unless you get them for at least 50% off retail. 

The exact same thing was said about 6866 last year.

• Like 1

True, and I hope I'm wrong.  But there's no question that both the volume and breadth of counterfeiting has increased massively since 6866 retired.  Before The LEGO Movie, for example, no CMF series had been counterfeited.  But both The LEGO Movie and Simpsons series have been copied extensively.  6866 itself has fallen in value on eBay by 25 - 30% over the past several months.  I doubt the wide availability of $2 fake Deadpool minifigures (now the set's only exclusive) has helped the set's performance.

Sea Port is being counterfeited in its entirety (the entire set, including the box - Lego logo, if you ask for it). I would not invest in any of the smaller Super Heroes sets for this reason, unless you get them for at least 50% off retail. The counterfeiters sell them under the exact same set names and numbers, and they will be available forever at $15 each with free shipping from China. Lots of fake Iron Man minifigures and War Machine, in every color of the rainbow, are widely available at $1 per figure. This is a problem that has only been growing worse. For whatever reason, Super Heroes sets and figures are far more likely to be counterfeited than, say, Star Wars. Some collectors will want to shell out for the real thing, but lots of parents and kids will be content with cheap figures that look almost exactly the same.

I know what you do and how you report counterfeiters on eBay. Just wanted to say thanks. Wish more people would do this. Wish lego and eBay would do more about it.

So many frozen plush fakes on eBay.

• Like 2

True, and I hope I'm wrong.  But there's no question that both the volume and breadth of counterfeiting has increased massively since 6866 retired.  Before The LEGO Movie, for example, no CMF series had been counterfeited.  But both The LEGO Movie and Simpsons series have been copied extensively.  6866 itself has fallen in value on eBay by 25 - 30% over the past several months.  I doubt the wide availability of $2 fake Deadpool minifigures (now the set's only exclusive) has helped the set's performance.

Really it would be wise for anyone investing in LEGO to watch and steer clear of any designs or sets that the counterfeiters are focusing on and already selling or that they begin to sell on Ebay.  If you see those sets or minifig show up on Ebay then it's a guarantee those sets and figures will be worth that much less over time and continue to drop.  With potentially thousands of counterfeiters and factories and the expertise they have at setting up fake accounts on Ebay and quickly selling lots of merchandise there is no possibility barring a complete revamping of the management for Ebay that they will ever get the LEGO fraudsters under control.

Edited by JRandall

Really it would be wise for anyone investing in LEGO to watch and steer clear of any designs or sets that the counterfeiters are focusing on and already selling or that they begin to sell on Ebay. If you see those sets or minifig show up on Ebay then it's a guarantee those sets and figures will be worth that much less over time and continue to drop.

I disagree. That'd like letting them win. Keep reporting them to eBay keep sending hate mail. Keep telling lego. Or for most of you.... Start.
  • Like 4

While everyone worrying about the batcave, the Jr Defend the batcave is sold out everywhere. Is this a holiday thing? Or how long has it been out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Brickpicker mobile app

I don't see the jr set retiring yet. It only just came out.

So I was one of the US customers who order the r2d2 from lego shop and my order was canceled but they still sent winter set which I thought was odd so I called number of times trying to find out why only thing I was being told was sold out at time then yesterday I called talked to a girl who I think was new but long story short she said r2d2 is retiring Dec 15the that's why my order was canceled so don't really know how true this is but never know but did find out tb date is 2017 soh is 2016 this is what she said ...I'm going to keep on them trying to find out info as much as I can

I know what you do and how you report counterfeiters on eBay. Just wanted to say thanks. Wish more people would do this. Wish lego and eBay would do more about it.

So many frozen plush fakes on eBay.

Can someone tell me which items you select when you do report an item on Ebay. Every time I do it, I list it as copyright and trademark infringement but Ebay have never once removed the listing, anyone else had any success by describing it a different way?

Can someone tell me which items you select when you do report an item on Ebay. Every time I do it, I list it as copyright and trademark infringement but Ebay have never once removed the listing, anyone else had any success by describing it a different way?

From what I have read on Brickpicker, the best way have the listing removed is to say that they are listed in the wrong category. Most of the non-Lego listings are still found in the Lego category on eBay. I have read that members have had success doing it this way.

• Like 1

Folks should look at 4204 the mine. Is is sold out at lego.com and should be retired shortly. A great sub theme, never done before. Tru had amodest sale.on these over the last few weeks. RRP is 99.95.

I was hoping it would be done a little earlier this holiday season just in case I wanted to flip a couple at around MSRP ($120 in Canada), which would be great considering my buy in, but I think I'll hold for next year. I think $130-140 USD is reasonable in another twelve months.

While everyone worrying about the batcave, the Jr Defend the batcave is sold out everywhere. Is this a holiday thing? Or how long has it been out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Brickpicker mobile app

I am sure this is just a holiday thing. It was on a bunch of top toy lists this year. Of course, it pops right back into stock on amazon today while mine are en route to the fulfillment centers.

• Like 1

I am with Neo on the above post.

The shelf space needed for Jan. 1st's launch of the Detective Agency seems to have come at the expense of the Town Hall- not the Pet Shop. Mind you, some early PS acquisition is a strategic play but (hopefully) the signs do point to some additional time to acquire PS before scramble-mode is on. The same could have been said for the TH, however.

I'm at about thirty percent of my acquisition goal for PS... hopefully the rug isn't yanked out on this set. It is not one to miss IMO.

• Like 1