Retiring Soon - open speculation

Ramblings of Brickelements---

So if we use only one metric, Lego buying limits, we can assume that all of these larger sets will be retired soon.

10188 DS

10228 HH

10224 TH

10211 GE

10218 PS

10237 ToO

10937 AA

10235 WVM

10225 R2

42030 Volvo - Odd but they limited it to 1 per day per person online (same as 10245 Santa's Workshop)
10234 SOH

10226 SC

Probably missed a couple

Huh pretty long list. Quite expensive to buy them all.

Insight into my loot:

Personally I just whiffed stocking up on R2 if is it retired now (just started accumulating)

Still buying AA at will

Have Volvos coming from UK.

Still buying 10235 at will

Finished buying HH in may

Didn't want anymore GE's.  Too many resellers hoarding this one.  Appreciation will take longer because of it.

Whiffed on TH.  I still don't think this is retiring till next x-mas.

Whiffed on ToO.  Wishy washy on this set.  It will probably do very well, I don't see a lot of stock out there.

Anyone notice there were not limits on 10243 PR from LS@****?  You could load 99 into your cart for a cool 15K plus.

Might be tying up your capital for a few years though.

The newest Cargo train is seriously tempting from AmazonUK however the last one took 4 yrs to retire...this is only the beginning of the product cycle.:-(

Or will it follow the3677 Red Cargo train production cycle???  If it follows the shorter production cycle it is worth buying now.

(...)

So if we use only one metric, Lego buying limits, we can assume that all of these larger sets will be retired soon.

(...)

42030 Volvo - Odd but they limited it to 1 per day per person online (same as 10245 Santa's Workshop.

(...).

Limit of 1 is normal for new sets.

It was the same too with the Mini cooper. Now it's limit of 5.

It's because lego have some issues providing enough sets at launch.

The volvo will be limit limit of 2/3/5 after the Xmas season. NO WAY it's retiring. We can be doubtful about some sets (SW, Creator expert...), but technics sets are very simple and accurate to estimate their EOL. You will have more than 2 years to get this one, no problem. The 4x4 crawler and the MkII have to retire before the volvo. :)

My post was theoretical at best.  I seriously doubt 12 major sets would vanish at the same time.

Possible sure why not.  Likely?  I have no idea.

I have only been in the game for 3 years.  In that time a lot has changed to include a plethora of new players with better tools than I have utilized.

I should be using scripts to find deals like the Wal-Mart Tower Bridge...still seething over that one.

A 4 thousand piece set for 150.00 I would have emptied all capital reserves on it.

Anyway I digress.  Buy what you want to speculate on in your own timeframe. 

You may miss a few sets here and there.  There are plenty of sets to go around.

With back to back discounts on HTF/Exclusive sets at TRU is this a new trend?  Are we going to revisit discounts on large sets?

Yes Please.  That would make this game a little easier to achieve better margins.

I keep seeing references to the $150 Walmart Tower Bridge deal being the best deal ever.  Was it really?  Would you not have been better off spending all of your capital on Haunted Houses or Super Star Destroyers?  You could have quick flipped those within 6 months for 50+% ROI, and then invested in RRP Tower Bridges if you really thought Tower Bridge was such a prolific long-term gainer.

Don't get me wrong; I would have loved to have purchased a handful of TBs at $150.  But it wasn't the best deal ever and there were/are better uses of capital.

• Like 1

I keep seeing references to the $150 Walmart Tower Bridge deal being the best deal ever. Was it really? Would you not have been better off spending all of your capital on Haunted Houses or Super Star Destroyers? You could have quick flipped those within 6 months for 50+% ROI, and then invested in RRP Tower Bridges if you really thought Tower Bridge was such a prolific long-term gainer.

Don't get me wrong; I would have loved to have purchased a handful of TBs at $150. But it wasn't the best deal ever and there were/are better uses of capital.

At the time of the walmart glitch for TB, did you know for sure that it was time to buy HH? Heck, you could have probably still find mixels series 1 back then...

I keep seeing references to the $150 Walmart Tower Bridge deal being the best deal ever.  Was it really?  Would you not have been better off spending all of your capital on Haunted Houses or Super Star Destroyers?  You could have quick flipped those within 6 months for 50+% ROI, and then invested in RRP Tower Bridges if you really thought Tower Bridge was such a prolific long-term gainer.

Don't get me wrong; I would have loved to have purchased a handful of TBs at $150.  But it wasn't the best deal ever and there were/are better uses of capital.

Yes, don't get upset if you miss a deal.  There's always other deals and investments, and of course, other ways to spend your money.

• Like 4

Wal-Mart 10214 Best deal ever?  No not really.  A great price on a huge set.  However for my own collecting investing purposes I would have bought as many as I could at that price.

Sure I get what you are saying about the ROI numbers.  A good point too. 

I had already reached my buying goal of (10) HH in May of this year.

I have yet to sell any HH.  They have appreciated nicely but for my own goals that set is not yet ready to sell. 

I only have 5 TB's (1 loose to build) looking for 10 or more total.  The Wal-Mart deal would have been steller to meet my buying quota for TB.

Had I been able to buy as many TB as I could I would have hoarded about 15 total at that price.  Shelf space is not unlimited.

My last 48 x 24 x 72 shelf is being utilized this season.  More space is available but I will need more shelves.

I keep seeing references to the $150 Walmart Tower Bridge deal being the best deal ever. Was it really? Would you not have been better off spending all of your capital on Haunted Houses or Super Star Destroyers? You could have quick flipped those within 6 months for 50+% ROI, and then invested in RRP Tower Bridges if you really thought Tower Bridge was such a prolific long-term gainer.

Don't get me wrong; I would have loved to have purchased a handful of TBs at $150. But it wasn't the best deal ever and there were/are better uses of capital.

Fire brigade's for 119.00 on Amazon for an entire year was better then tb deal.

Something I see posted here and talked about quite often is '' I got this set to diversify my portfolio ''

I think that's kind of silly. Would you rather have 1 of all these random sets or have nothing but hh or ssd. I personally am really narrowing my picks down in regards to the long haul.

Mark Cuban said diversifying a portfolio is stupid. And he rules. :)

• Like 4

I keep seeing references to the $150 Walmart Tower Bridge deal being the best deal ever.  Was it really?  Would you not have been better off spending all of your capital on Haunted Houses or Super Star Destroyers? 

If we wanted to play that game, you could probably make a good case for parting out that set and making even more profit than you would have on HH or SSD. Long term investing is only one part. But anytime you can get a unique set for three cents/piece, you can do extremely well in the "flip-mode" also.

Fire brigade's for 119.00 on Amazon for an entire year was better then tb deal.

Something I see posted here and talked about quite often is '' I got this set to diversify my portfolio ''

I think that's kind of silly. Would you rather have 1 of all these random sets or have nothing but hh or ssd. I personally am really narrowing my picks down in regards to the long haul.

Mark Cuban said diversifying a portfolio is stupid. And he rules. :)

I agree to some extent depending on the commodity, but with a tangible product like we have, I like having some variety to keep turnover higher. Lower # of unique sets usually results in slower sellthrough.

• Like 2

If we wanted to play that game, you could probably make a good case for parting out that set and making even more profit than you would have on HH or SSD. Long term investing is only one part. But anytime you can get a unique set for three cents/piece, you can do extremely well in the "flip-mode" also.

Parting out is way too time-intensive for my tastes, but to each his own.

The main point of my post was that there are always other investment avenues out there, so just move on and find then next one.  

The $150 Walmart deal is water under the Tower Bridge!

My post was theoretical at best. I seriously doubt 12 major sets would vanish at the same time.

Possible sure why not. Likely? I have no idea.

I have only been in the game for 3 years. In that time a lot has changed to include a plethora of new players with better tools than I have utilized.

I should be using scripts to find deals like the Wal-Mart Tower Bridge...still seething over that one.

A 4 thousand piece set for 150.00 I would have emptied all capital reserves on it.

Anyway I digress. Buy what you want to speculate on in your own timeframe.

You may miss a few sets here and there. There are plenty of sets to go around.

With back to back discounts on HTF/Exclusive sets at TRU is this a new trend? Are we going to revisit discounts on large sets?

Yes Please. That would make this game a little easier to achieve better margins.

Ironically, the guy who spotted 150 TBs did not use ain't no scripts. Just plain old "well, I was just browsing walmart search results"

• Like 2

I agree to some extent depending on the commodity, but with a tangible product like we have, I like having some variety to keep turnover higher. Lower # of unique sets usually results in slower sellthrough.

I knew someone would say what I wanted to say more eloquently than I could. Diversifying in LEGO isn't the same as other investments--and when I "diversify," I'm not buying randomly. It's a matter of what is available close to EOL at a decent price and with possibility for resale. A good LEGO investor must always keep his/her mind on the future sale. Just because a set is a good deal doesn't mean it's going to be a good investment down the road. The buyers have to be there.