Retiring Soon - open speculation

BrickPickers, get busy and grab up those Chi Temples at TRU.com, or I'll suddenly feel better about not going nuts on them when Target was blowing out the Chi Temples, Millennium Falcons, and Gunships.

I had 2 in my cart and was to checkout and read the post about at least 1800 available.  That and the fact I saw them pop back into some TRU last week leads me to believe they might be staying around awhile.  

Bought 10 at WM and Target Clearance in the 85-99 range and sold some at 175 but if they put them on there ebay site that party will be on hold for awhile.

I had 2 in my cart and was to checkout and read the post about at least 1800 available. That and the fact I saw them pop back into some TRU last week leads me to believe they might be staying around awhile.

Bought 10 at WM and Target Clearance in the 85-99 range and sold some at 175 but if they put them on there ebay site that party will be on hold for awhile.

It might be around for longer but it has 1 appearance and it's making a comeback but HH makes multiple and has no chance of a return. Seal codes will tell if it's coming back.

It might be around for longer but it has 1 appearance and it's making a comeback but HH makes multiple and has no chance of a return. Seal codes will tell if it's coming back.

Totally different situation. HH pops up in little bits and quantities and is gone in seconds or minutes.  The poster stated they had at least 1800 available and its TRU which is known to take these type sets and make them long staying flagships.  Thats a big difference.

They also did this with 9398 just in the last few months.  It sold out everywhere at there clearance of 160.98 only to be brought back on the website and in stores and now back to regular price no less and labeled with the TRU exclusive.  Only difference with that set is LEGO still carries it also as they never put that item on sale like the Lion Temple. 

I just don't see it staying with TRU putting it at $100. The seal codes are what I want to see because they will tell when the set was packaged.

I agree codes would help but I have a feeling they probably are older to begin with.  Most the ones I got at Wal-Marts that restocked for the fall planograms had 2013 codes and were put out at full price even though they had clearanced at $99 and less a few months before.

I don't know how to see the quantities available so only going by that post as I know people can tell that information.  1800 is a lot of that set and it doesn't draw the demand of other sets so if true that would be around awhile.

I think the Tower of Orthanc, the pet shop and the UCS R2D2 are retiring. Here is the reason why.

When you are on the (european for instance) LEGO Shop at Home and sort items by "hard to find", sets are sorted by some (unofficials) categories. We can notice several ways ("call to check availability", etc.) but here what I consider very important as an investor. It's about "out of stock" sets.

What's important is to see that when some sets are out of stock... some don't move and stay where they are in the list (see the sandcrawler, it's still in top of the list, available or not) and some move at the bottom of the list next to the "sold out" sets.

That's why there are, IMO, two kinds of "Out of Stock"

- OoS ******

• Like 7

I think the Tower of Orthanc, the pet shop and the UCS R2D2 are retiring. Here is the reason why.

When you are on the (european for instance) LEGO Shop at Home and sort items by "hard to find", sets are sorted by some (unofficials) categories. We can notice several ways ("call to check availability", etc.) but here what I consider very important as an investor. It's about "out of stock" sets.

What's important is to see that when some sets are out of stock... some don't move and stay where they are in the list (see the sandcrawler, it's still in top of the list, available or not) and some move at the bottom of the list next to the "sold out" sets.

That's why there are, IMO, two kinds of "Out of Stock"

- OoS ******

PS doesn't have the Expert label like the newest too. Could be a reason to retire it too. But that would make the count 3 or half (with DA coming out) of the line-up to disapear. That would be very extraordinary

Guest TabbyBoy

My gut feeling for a while has been that the Pet Shop is for the chop.  I'm not so sure about R2-D2 as he's in the new movie and why would LEGO send him to the scrap yard unless there's (God forbid) a bigger/better remake on the way?

I have 3x ToO which came with the original promo posters and I hope to sell these at a premium.  It's a great display piece (not built it myself but, seen it in Harrods) and I think it represents Middle Earth more than any other set and is destined for greatness I think.

I'm not sure of TB yet, as it's still widely available from what I can see.  However, a superb set that may create mass hysteria at the last minute.

We all have our own theories of when sets are retiring and this can only make the whole game more entertaining.

My gut feeling for a while has been that the Pet Shop is for the chop.  I'm not so sure about R2-D2 as he's in the new movie and why would LEGO send him to the scrap yard unless there's (God forbid) a bigger/better remake on the way?

I have 3x ToO which came with the original promo posters and I hope to sell these at a premium.  It's a great display piece (not built it myself but, seen it in Harrods) and I think it represents Middle Earth more than any other set and is destined for greatness I think.

I'm not sure of TB yet, as it's still widely available from what I can see.  However, a superb set that may create mass hysteria at the last minute.

We all have our own theories of when sets are retiring and this can only make the whole game more entertaining.

So PS goes, TH stays? ;)

And at the moment Ewok Village stands next to R2D2 at the bottom list next to the sold out ones...

So I'm afraid it does retire, too!

Otherwise this mixing of positions could only be a random positioning by TLG system... and therefore means absolutely nothing!

• Like 2

And at the moment Ewok Village stands next to R2D2 at the bottom list next to the sold out ones...

So I'm afraid it does retire, too!

Otherwise this mixing of positions could only be a random positioning by TLG system... and therefore means absolutely nothing!

HAAAAAA ! :o

You are right.

So my guess is worth nothing. :crazy:

(the ewok village wasn't OoS when I posted my message. I can't imagine this set is retiring, no way !)

So it doesn't mean "bottom OoS sets are retiring", but "first OoS sets are new and not retiring" (thank you so much mister obvious :curtsey: ).

Thanks ! :good:

If a moderator see this post, please delete the previous one to avoid people being fooled (I can't modify it)

Edited by biniou

You are right.

(the ewok village wasn't OoS when I posted my message)

So it doesn't mean "bottom OoS sets are retiring", but "first OoS sets are new and not retiring" (thank you so much mister obvious :curtsey: ).

If a moderator see this post, please delete the previous one to avoid people being fooled (I can't modify it)

who knows...

You are right.

(the ewok village wasn't OoS when I posted my message. I can't imagine this set is retiring, no way !)

You are a strange man sometimes, Biniou :) But nice try putting some logic in the chaos

who knows...

Do you think it could have some "UCS B-wing" availibility ? (about 1 year)

I would be very surprised if it happens and would better think of about 2 or 3 years of availability.

It it retires so soon (let's say it does not survive to Xmas), man that will be another home run. But again, I think it's very unlikely that it retires so soon.

(ok, now let's find some deals for this set... let's just hope the posts above will not create a panic buying... soldat.gif)