Retiring Soon - open speculation

I must say that the sea cow is one of the most difficult sets for me when it comes to investing because it is sooo difficult to judge this set.

Yes it's a BIIIG one (and once build it must be quite impressive), it's an exclusive (somehow that doesn't seem to mean that much nowadays ^^) and it is related to The LEGO Movie (which is nice I guess).

The uniqueness of this set is a big plus but since it is so unique (no train no classic pirate ship no spaceship...) it's more of a gamble.

I wouldn't rely on the movies too much, since we're not talking about SW here. The target group of The LEGO Movie are children, so probably most AFOL won't just buy it (it might even be totally off the radar).

Also I don't figure that todays children will want to buy it that much 10 years later ^.^

So there are strong points in favor for this set as well as some against it. I'll probably try to stay on the "safer" side by investing into pretty much what everybody invests in... I also found a sea cow on discount so I bought one and if I ever happen to find another one on discount (AND have the money) I'll probably buy a second one but any more of them is out of the question for me.

(I'd say that quite some other investors have the same thoughts about this set, so if it actually will be a winner those who have some will be even more happy about it ;-) ).

As for the retiring soon:

I think PS will last some more time since the signs are gone and there have been a lot in my LEGO Store.

I was in a LEGO Store in Berlin (as I've already posted) where they've told me that TH and GE will be gone by end of this year.

They still did have some GE and even MORE TH.

Also I found a TH in another store (Galeria Kaufhof).

I guess it will stay sold out online and those rare findings really are the rest of them. (I called another shop close where I'm situated and they didn't have any GE left).

Also I guess that the DeLorean is pretty much done as well as An unexpected gathering (sold out in SAH Europe at least... this might be the other way around case).

Probably they have lots of them in the U.S. since the Movies are more popular there.

which one? gunship, x-wing or both?

Woops, I missed your response. I am referring to both the Gunship and X-Wing.

"Retiring soon" is a marketing gimmick basically, probably to move out inventory of sets LEGO wants to get rid of. MOST sets retire without the retiring soon tag.

I was interested to see several of the brand spanking new Hero Factory Sets are already getting tags though.

HF is probably done. With Bionicle rolling out soon, it wouldn't be smart to have two themes that are so close to each other. I'm not sure if I'll be stocking up on them. Thus far, they've done fairly well if bought at a decent discount, but Bionicle could kill all the investment potential in these.

the Chima legend beasts ($9.99) are retiring soon on Lego SAH. These arent on anyone's radar, if you had to sit through the cartoons with the kids, they play a pretty big role in the first few seasons story lines, and I don't see them remaking them

could easily bump to $20 a pop or a spike in a 5 piece bundle sale

the Chima legend beasts ($9.99) are retiring soon on Lego SAH. These arent on anyone's radar, if you had to sit through the cartoons with the kids, they play a pretty big role in the first few seasons story lines, and I don't see them remaking them

could easily bump to $20 a pop or a spike in a 5 piece bundle sale

My son had 2 of the line already built. The others are waiting for him when I see better "behavior daily grades" each week (despite academic As across the board, he likes talk too much - like his dad was at that age).

Anyway...they are pretty cool builds and like you said, "featured" in the show especially the Lion.

Not sure about the value after retirement but these are great for kids as small individual gifts or the entire set as a larger gift.

I second this.

Sea cow is a big ship.

That's really All u need to know.

My local lego store had one on display and not being a "ship" guy I was impressed by it. I wouldn't go as far as calling it steampunkish, but more of a well designed coagulation of leftover parts. I have a feeling the sea cow won't lose money in the secondary market even purchased at MSRP since it is a big/fun looking ship but it definitely won't be 1%er!

I know what you are saying but actually it's a big something in ship form. If Seacow would be just a regular ship (only in BIIIG) I wouldn't have doubts about it.

For what it's worth and I've mentioned this before I am not a afol. Strictly a money thing for me. With that said the sea cow and tower bridge are the two sets that stand out to me above everything else that I actually want to build.
  • Like 1

Achilles, I agree to a point.  However, I am wondering why LEGO would not update the retired tag to the large exclusive sets when they are updating the other sets.  I would not think it would take that much more effort, right?

I am curious because if I were an average consumer, and I was saving for the Town Hall, but I see it is in a SOLD OUT status, I may consider waiting to spend my money on a LEGO set until the set I want (TH in this case) returns to availability.  I don't think that mentality would be in LEGO's interest though - wouldn't it be better to label something like TH as RETIRED so that that average consumer realizes that the TH set is no longer available with the assumption that the average consumer would move on and spend money on a different modular like the Palace Cinema, which is available?

Therein lies the rub.  These "Retiring Soon" notations are simply a marketing ploy.  A fraction of retiring sets get these and they are usually regular sets that few people notice or care to invest in.  LEGO is VERY aware of the secondary market and resellers and are actually using some of our terminology to entice novice buyers.  

Therein lies the rub. These "Retiring Soon" notations are simply a marketing ploy. A fraction of retiring sets get these and they are usually regular sets that few people notice or care to invest in. LEGO is VERY aware of the secondary market and resellers and are actually using some of our terminology to entice novice buyers.

Very true. I am surprised that the swamp hideout which does carry this tag and is on sale has not been blown through on LEGO Shop at Home. I say this after seeing what the temple did

Therein lies the rub.  These "Retiring Soon" notations are simply a marketing ploy.  A fraction of retiring sets get these and they are usually regular sets that few people notice or care to invest in.  LEGO is VERY aware of the secondary market and resellers and are actually using some of our terminology to entice novice buyers.  

Yes!  I'm sure you said that before.  With that being said though, you can still make nice profit if you weed out with some homework even if the upcoming "retired sets" don't sell well.

Anybody got access to the Lego database print runs on all Lego Sets?  Ha Ha  More secretive then the Colonels secret recipe. 

Chima are Nice sets. The problem they have is that the target audience is too young to spend 'big Bucks' on them imo.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Brickpicker mobile app

Right. There is a ceiling on these sets. The best time to sell them is right now, around the Holidays. Next XMAS can be even better if LEGO continues to push Chima over the next 12 months.

Very true. I am surprised that the swamp hideout which does carry this tag and is on sale has not been blown through on LEGO Shop at Home. I say this after seeing what the temple did

Whats funny is the Croc Swamp Hideout up until the other day had both the  "New" and  "Retiring Soon" tags and now both have been removed and it got the "hard to find" tag and is still sold out.

Hopefully the Lion Temple on TRU is not a precursor to that one coming back there as an exclusive also.  I did notice a few that popped back into stores last week also at full price when they had been gone for months.

Well I bought some last week but I came back to buy some other sets on thursday or friday I guess...

But why are you so curious about it? I mean in Germany there still linger some GE and TH here and there, no big quantity though. So nothing really exciting about it ;-) If you don't happen to be in Berlin right now it's probably not even interesting for you ^.^

I also called a shop which is closer to where I'm located if they still have them and they said NO.

As written before: I've asked the guy in the LEGO Store in Berlin if I still have time to buy GE and TH and he told me they'll retire end of this year. (Nothing new but you might not yet have read when I gave that info earlier).

I was just being curious. Didn't mean to bother you, sorry.