Retiring Soon - open speculation

Guest TabbyBoy

The 10227 B-Wing does appear to be a turkey at the moment like the 9515 Malevolence.  I'm hanging on to the B-Wing just in case it has more of a presence in episode VII rather than the damp squib in the originals.  The original Malevolence crashed into a moon so that'll not make another appearance unless we see another Subjugator Class ship appear again.

The 10227 B-Wing does appear to be a turkey at the moment like the 9515 Malevolence.  I'm hanging on to the B-Wing just in case it has more of a presence in episode VII rather than the damp squib in the originals.  The original Malevolence crashed into a moon so that'll not make another appearance unless we see another Subjugator Class ship appear again.

No turkey here dude...

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/771-what-lego-set-did-you-sell-today-and-for-how-much/page-84#entry348344

This might be old news, but have you guys noticed the new items with the "retiring soon" tag at shop@home? 

9493 X-Wing

75019 AT-TE

75018 Jek-14

41008 Heartlake Pool

75041 Vulture Droid

75039 V-Wing

75003 A-Wing

75022 Mandalorian Speeder

3185 Summer Riding Camp

And others. Several of these look interesting to me though.

With the update to the Lego LEGO Shop at Home, can someone speculate on why Lego would not include sets like GE, HH, TH, and SC in the retired product label when they are already sold out?

Being relatively new to the game, I cannot reason why Lego would not update those products with a "retiring soon" label if they didn't intend to produce more sets.

In the under-$100 range, I am "speculating" that Unexpected Gathering is going soon. GM Pirate noted in-store stock levels are evaporating, and since then I am noticing it as well. Of our six So. Cal. lego B&M's, only one has stock, though most TRU's still do.

Likely a one-and-only chance to own Bilbo's house, unless your name is Peter Jackson. All opinion, but I think it's time on this one.

In the under-$100 range, I am "speculating" that Unexpected Gathering is going soon. GM Pirate noted in-store stock levels are evaporating, and since then I am noticing it as well. Of our six So. Cal. lego B&M's, only one has stock, though most TRU's still do.

Likely a one-and-only chance to own Bilbo's house, unless your name is Peter Jackson. All opinion, but I think it's time on this one.

A few of the TRUs in my area have a bunch of those in stock for full msrp. They have to clearance those out at some point right?

A few of the TRUs in my area have a bunch of those in stock for full msrp. They have to clearance those out at some point right?

If I do see any Unexpected Gathering's on clearance I am jumping on them like a panther.  Hmmm....I guess panthers jump.  Although I think snow leopards have the longest jump span of any cat.  At least, I think they do.  Anyway, yeah, I like Unexpected Gathering to be a nice long-term investment.  It's the best LOTR/HOBBIT set, size not withstanding.

Every Long Term Investor should have at least 5 or more Sea Cows for Investment, As people will be watching the Lego Movies on DVD for many years down the road. So its not that this Set will just vanish and everybody will just forget about it. Now there is plenty time to get this set, but starting next year it would not hurt to pick one up now and then. And don't forget about the Simpson House to, along with other Exclusives these 2 will do very good once retired. Ed

70810...Metalbeard's Sea Cow... Had to dig back in the thread for this one.  I've been thinking about this as a "surprise-retiring-soon" possibility. I'm just thinking, it's a big, expensive set.  Prominent in a popular movie, but... it's not Star Wars, or even Harry Potter... I mean, of course we all love it, but does the rest of the world even remember it?  I doubt more than 1000 kids around the world are asking for it for this Christmas.  Of course, it was only introduced in March 2014... could it fade away mid-to-late 2015? It would be interesting to know if the Sea Cow is going to reappear in Lego Movie 2, but the sequel is not slated until 2018.  Do you think it can really hang around that long?

70810...Metalbeard's Sea Cow... Had to dig back in the thread for this one.  I've been thinking about this as a "surprise-retiring-soon" possibility. I'm just thinking, it's a big, expensive set.  Prominent in a popular movie, but... it's not Star Wars, or even Harry Potter... I mean, of course we all love it, but does the rest of the world even remember it?  I doubt more than 1000 kids around the world are asking for it for this Christmas.  Of course, it was only introduced in March 2014... could it fade away mid-to-late 2015? It would be interesting to know if the Sea Cow is going to reappear in Lego Movie 2, but the sequel is not slated until 2018.  Do you think it can really hang around that long?

It is a very unique set.  I think this set transcends the LEGO Movie regardless.  Large creative sets do very well in the secondary market.

With the update to the Lego LEGO Shop at Home, can someone speculate on why Lego would not include sets like GE, HH, TH, and SC in the retired product label when they are already sold out?

Being relatively new to the game, I cannot reason why Lego would not update those products with a "retiring soon" label if they didn't intend to produce more sets.

"Retiring soon" is a marketing gimmick basically, probably to move out inventory of sets LEGO wants to get rid of. MOST sets retire without the retiring soon tag.

I was interested to see several of the brand spanking new Hero Factory Sets are already getting tags though.

"Retiring soon" is a marketing gimmick basically, probably to move out inventory of sets LEGO wants to get rid of. MOST sets retire without the retiring soon tag.

I was interested to see several of the brand spanking new Hero Factory Sets are already getting tags though.

Achilles, I agree to a point.  However, I am wondering why LEGO would not update the retired tag to the large exclusive sets when they are updating the other sets.  I would not think it would take that much more effort, right?

I am curious because if I were an average consumer, and I was saving for the Town Hall, but I see it is in a SOLD OUT status, I may consider waiting to spend my money on a LEGO set until the set I want (TH in this case) returns to availability.  I don't think that mentality would be in LEGO's interest though - wouldn't it be better to label something like TH as RETIRED so that that average consumer realizes that the TH set is no longer available with the assumption that the average consumer would move on and spend money on a different modular like the Palace Cinema, which is available?