Retiring Soon - open speculation

If all of this wave of Star Wars is heading out that means sail barge and Republic Gunship will be heading out to most likely

I've had my fill of the Barge due to the $49 Walmart clearance, but I do need to buy some more Gunships.  I only have a couple right now and of all the Prequel Trilogy sets to get I think this one might be the best out there right now.  I really love the model and it has some great minifigs.  

If Heartlake Pool gets scarce, it will be great for Christmas too.  Every Friends house needs a pool.  I wasn't planning on getting many this year, but a retiring soon tag will put it on my radar for Cyber Monday.  The deals aren't quite there right now on it since it could still be "retiring soon" for Christmas 2015.  You never know.

I've had my fill of the Barge due to the $49 Walmart clearance, but I do need to buy some more Gunships.  I only have a couple right now and of all the Prequel Trilogy sets to get I think this one might be the best out there right now.  I really love the model and it has some great minifigs.  

It's much sturdier and sleeker than 7676, but a little smaller.  It also has the clone trooper ball turrets.

For anyone thinking of investing in the X-Wing, check out the performance of 6212 first... First rule of Lego investing: there will always be an X-Wing in production (not counting the UCS model).

That's like investing in 75021 republic gunship. I just sold a 7676 at $200. I'm sure the newer one will take 4 years to double.

that's what was said about the tie-fighter and look where its going :D

I would argue that the newest TIE Fighter was different enough that its investment potential wasn't stunted by the similarity to previous sets. The Republic Gunship color scheme and overall look is exactly like the ones previous. I'd also say that the 2008 version is better in terms of minifigures. TLG completely redid the TIE design of the set, but stuck to some basic parameters. Invest as you will, but personally I wouldn't bet heavily on this one.

I would argue that the newest TIE Fighter was different enough that its investment potential wasn't stunted by the similarity to previous sets. The Republic Gunship color scheme and overall look is exactly like the ones previous. I'd also say that the 2008 version is better in terms of minifigures. TLG completely redid the TIE design of the set, but stuck to some basic parameters. Invest as you will, but personally I wouldn't bet heavily on this one.

which one? gunship, x-wing or both?

• Like 1

For anyone thinking of investing in the X-Wing, check out the performance of 6212 first...  First rule of Lego investing: there will always be an X-Wing in production (not counting the UCS model).

I wonder what 6212 sold for at Christmas 2011, when it had been discontinued and 9493 hadn't been introduced yet?

I also wonder how many "slots" in the product line up TLG wants to use for episode 7?

9493 isn't going to be a 5x set, but it might be a nice flip sometime soon.

• Like 1

When it comes to people saying a set will or won't be a winner I'm a bit confused. It depends on your buy in.

I have x wings.... I paid 20.00 for mine. No way I can lose.

Any see can be a winner. What might make me a ton of money may not for you as everyone's buy in is different.

• Like 3

I wonder what 6212 sold for at Christmas 2011, when it had been discontinued and 9493 hadn't been introduced yet?

I also wonder how many "slots" in the product line up TLG wants to use for episode 7?

9493 isn't going to be a 5x set, but it might be a nice flip sometime soon.

6212 never sold well after it retired.  I bought a few right after it retired and still have one sitting on the shelf.  I won't waste another dollar on a X-Wing set.

When it comes to people saying a set will or won't be a winner I'm a bit confused. It depends on your buy in.

Any see can be a winner. What might make me a ton of money may not for you as everyone's buy in is different.

You bring up a good point.  If I said, "I can easily make double or trip on a set," why wouldn't you say that's a winner?

But, if I said it's a Friends polybag, would someone still call that a winner?  If I buy in at $2, and sell for $6, is that still a winner?

For anyone thinking of investing in the X-Wing, check out the performance of 6212 first...  First rule of Lego investing: there will always be an X-Wing in production (not counting the UCS model).

Another variable: Episode 7

We know Episode 7 will have X-Wings, but they are of a different design than Episodes 4-6.  Will their be two simultaneous X-Wing playsets in production or are we going to see the Episode 4-6 design take a hiatus? Will Episode 7 sets be on sale in the 2015 Christmas season, or will TLG make them January 2016 releases? Will it even matter?

yes you might be a winner but everyone in this business is not as fortunate as you to get to the target clearance and get X-wings for $17 and change. total out the door cost of $20.

if you are getting sets at 70% off 90% off then all these are not for you at all.... you can close your eyes and stop arguing. your balance sheet is full of winners.

people might be saying that b-wing is a winner.. yeah... only if you bought ****-load @ $99 but its not a winner if you happened to grab at $169(widely available mark) then its a clear loser...  its RRP is $199. this set (10227) is a loser. people are selling $240 @ amazon.

winner and losers are talking point based on RRP. { not the special discounts people might have access to }