Retiring Soon - open speculation

Ok here is why I think it's odd:

2013 - 10232 PC:

3 retailers (seems odd because it's not that old but ok I admit it can be normal.

2011 - 10218 PS:

6 retailers (it's really odd because it's the most available modular set, even more than the PR, and at the same time there are two times more retailers for this 2011 set compared to 2010 (GE) and 2012 (TH) sets.

As I said I have no clue about stocks so it certainly means nothing :) but I still think that it's odd for a retailer to have some PS but not some TH ("the fat woman is walking alone..." I repeat: "the fat woman is walking alone...").

BTW about something completely different, some sets on LEGO Shop at Home are "available November 4th" (PS) and some "November 6th" (GE and TH). I wonder what could it mean (another production run ? "the fat woman is walking alone..." I repeat...)

The Delorean is in the catalog and it's sold out (it was on backorder few days ago) on LEGO Shop at Home. So you think it will come back because it is in the catalog ? I'm not sure about it. :dontknow:

TH ship date is now 11th Nov (on LEGO Shop at Home EU as of yesterday). I expect to see this ship date continuing to go longer until it's gone.

Also GE has gone back to a 4th Nov ship date (yesterday it was 6th).

PS is still at 6th Nov.

Maybe the PS is in more stores because it's selling well? It seems to be quite a popular modular from what I've been reading on forums etc.

Ok here is why I think it's odd:

2013 - 10232 PC:

3 retailers (seems odd because it's not that old but ok I admit it can be normal.

2011 - 10218 PS:

6 retailers (it's really odd because it's the most available modular set, even more than the PR, and at the same time there are two times more retailers for this 2011 set compared to 2010 (GE) and 2012 (TH) sets.

As I said I have no clue about stocks so it certainly means nothing :) but I still think that it's odd for a retailer to have some PS but not some TH ("the fat woman is walking alone..." I repeat: "the fat woman is walking alone...").

BTW about something completely different, some sets on LEGO Shop at Home are "available November 4th" (PS) and some "November 6th" (GE and TH). I wonder what could it mean (another production run ? "the fat woman is walking alone..." I repeat...)

The Delorean is in the catalog and it's sold out (it was on backorder few days ago) on LEGO Shop at Home. So you think it will come back because it is in the catalog ? I'm not sure about it. :dontknow:

Ok, the Palace Cinema is hard to explain. It's not 'new' anymore, the Parisian Resto is the new set. And it's not that old either. It can be that the retailers simply decided that it would not sell as hard as the PR, GE and PS. Shelf space is important and plenty of more time (we assume) to sell the PC.

As for PS. It is normal I guess. If you look at the 3 modulars that have rumours of disapearing. PS is the one that least people would hunt after.

I think for the stock part, perhaps it is the date of final inventory. All remaning stock from B&M to be sent to HQ 1st november. Don't see it necessarily as new batch. Perhaps for PS yes, but it would surprise me so close to assumed EOL that they would make new batches for GE and TH.

A singing, walking obese lady. Are you talking about Susan Doyle?

Anyone have thoughts on the 31012 Family House?  It has been sold out through Shop at Home for a while though many retailers still have this on the shelf.  Is it going to come back or is it time to scramble buy and gasp, pay msrp.  Only kidding.  It can still be find at fair deals online.

Anyone have thoughts on the 31012 Family House?  It has been sold out through Shop at Home for a while though many retailers still have this on the shelf.  Is it going to come back or is it time to scramble buy and gasp, pay msrp.  Only kidding.  It can still be find at fair deals online.

Do you think there is much profit in that set? Apart from the light brick, doesn't seem so special in relation to the parts included. Can be w rong of course. Set is from 2013 so seems a bit too soon to go.

Do you think there is much profit in that set? Apart from the light brick, doesn't seem so special in relation to the parts included. Can be w rong of course. Set is from 2013 so seems a bit too soon to go.

Just look at the 5771 Hillside House. I still regret not buying more of those when I saw them on sale in a shop.

Edited by Ciglione
  • Like 1

I do not know if the family house is retiring, but I am planning now as if it is. All my sole opinion, but I think 31012 is something special and, as Ciglione references a comparator above, these homes can really take off after retirement. The big windows and light feature make for a very nice display, and to this sets credit, it has a very unique look when compared to others. It stands out.

I am using Walmart price match at TRU to get these down to 59, throwing in a smaller set (Wizard battle price match at 10.10 x2), and getting The Bricktober freebie which I believe will sell 20-25.

I like this cost basis, and am using it to acquire five of the homes; 10 of the Wizard battle- my most bullish pick for LOTR %-wise outside of ToO.

I do not know if the family house is retiring, but I am planning now as if it is. All my sole opinion, but I think 31012 is something special and, as Ciglione references a comparator above, these homes can really take off after retirement. The big windows and light feature make for a very nice display, and to this sets credit, it has a very unique look when compared to others. It stands out.

I am using Walmart price match at TRU to get these down to 59, throwing in a smaller set (Wizard battle price match at 10.10 x2), and getting The Bricktober freebie which I believe will sell 20-25.

I like this cost basis, and am using it to acquire five of the homes; 10 of the Wizard battle- my most bullish pick for LOTR %-wise outside of ToO.

YMMV, not all Toys R Us stores will honor promos with price matches.  I sold one of my Hillside House sets already, but I'll probably offload the other here in a few weeks.

• Like 1

Also holding to see 31036. The set makes sense as a series like the mods... Lower price point, broader availability, and potentially driving customers to the higher-priced mods (which is great for us).

I like the concept, but for my taste 31026 looks so-so. In another thread someone was posting photos of 31026 next to a larger mod- the size discrepancy simply doesn't work. But... A separate street with these smaller sets could look nice. Just hoping they make the sets interesting enough.

I like the concept, but for my taste 31026 looks so-so. In another thread someone was posting photos of 31026 next to a larger mod- the size discrepancy simply doesn't work. But... A separate street with these smaller sets could look nice. Just hoping they make the sets interesting enough.

The size discrepancy is significant, but so is the size discrepancy of actual shops where I live. Downtown, all 2-3 story "classic modulars"; out in the neighborhoods, I could see a small bike shop or cafe. How would they look with other creator houses?

In another thread someone was posting photos of 31026 next to a larger mod- the size discrepancy simply doesn't work.

Here it is (I cheated by counting the number of studs to put these sets to the same scale):

compar10.jpg

Personally I don't like the fact that it's not only smaller: it's also a little less detailed.

If I had to choose, I would prefer one "real" modular instead of two "middle sized" shops (let's say 31026 + 31036), for about the same price.

Edited by biniou

Great points all around. And I have to agree with Biniou- the lack of detail hurts them even more when compared to the larger mods.

Until they release more detailed ones. THEN everyone will want the originals regardless of lack of detail. We know how this goes.

• Like 1

A positive point for the Bike Shop, it is a 3 in 1 so the obsessed Lego collector who is building a mid-size modular street or decides to use them will probably want 3 copies so they can have all 3 of them...

I've got two of the Bike Shops, because I love two of the three models.  I'm intended to use those for my Winter Village.

I originally wanted TH for my Winter Village, but it's just so dang big compared to what I'm trying to do.