Retiring Soon - open speculation

So Ed what would be your number set to buy this year? Also is it double vip points all October?

kid, i see youre pretty new but Eds warnings have come up here and there on different thread topics. he would tell you to go big or go home. forget the small stuff. work on the big exclusives especially this month of Oct which is VIP double all month ... get HH, GE, AA, PS, TH, 3E, HE, ToO, R2, etc. of course get the soon to be EOL first, and since your in the UK grab all the SSD you can find and also TB ...

i forgot to mention to grab as many as you can of each as you can afford ... heavy load on TB and SSD, HH also ....

Edited by jaylay
  • Like 2

I've just received the french version of the lego catalog. 82 pages + one more to order.

I know that it's sometimes different from the US catalog so here is what I noticed.

Pet shop is here, along with the Palace cinema and the Parisian restaurant.

Simpsons house, Tower Bridge and Tower of Orthanc are here. Delorean too.

Death star is here (lol) and stands proudly on 75% of a page.

The T1 Van is still here, along with the Mini.

4 pages of Chima, 2 pages of Ninja.

The WV market is back.

Here is the "where are they ?" list:

No picture of the 2/2 promo Xmas set.

The Town Hall does not appear as a listed item. It makes an appearance in the bottom left corner (picture 2), inside the Parsian restaurant's case, along with the Palace cinema and the Parisian restaurant. This small image is the one we can find behind the Parisian R box.

No GE inside the catalog. No Arkham Asylum. No 2013 SW sets (it's not surprising), so no R2D2. No Millenium Falcon (7965). The UCS X-wing is here (2013 set), not the smaller version (9493). No SSD. No Haunted House (thank you so much mister obvious).

Few architecture sets (that does make sense, considering the few sells compared to friends, lego movie, etc.).

Here are 3 pictures. Feel free to ask some question if you want to, but quote me so I'll be notified.

'>

'>

'>

edit: no EEE Maersk

Edited by biniou
  • Like 4

Reselling is a lot more fun and less stress when you have a large amount of funds available. This advice (which is great) does not work so well when you have say just $500 to play with. Make that $5,000 or better yet $50,000 then this game gets a lot easier.

Speaking of large funds, I assume many here have retirements accounts. Don't look at them anytime soon, you will will you cashed out and dumped it in SSDs.

I am in the same boat.

I've just received the french version of the lego catalog.

I know that it's sometimes different from the US catalog so here is what I noticed.

The WV market is back.

The Town Hall does not appear as a listed item. It makes an appearance in the bottom left corner (picture 2), inside the Parsian restaurant's case, along with the Palace cinema and the Parisian restaurant. This small image is the one we can find behind the Parisian R box.

No GE inside the catalog. No Arkham Asylum. No 2013 SW sets (it's not surprising), so no R2D2. No Millenium Falcon (7965). The UCS X-wing is here (2013 set), not the smaller version (9493). No SSD. No Haunted House (thank you so much mister obvious).

Few architecture sets (that does make sense, considering the few sells compared to friends, lego movie, etc.).

Here are 3 pictures. Feel free to ask some question if you want to, but quote me so I'll be notified.

'>

'>

'>

Biniou, anything about the Maersk Tripple E? Thanks for the info by the way, much appreciated!

I've just received the french version of the lego catalog.

The WV market is back.

'>

'>

'>

Thanks for sharing!

So at least it does look like the PS won't retire too soon if the catalogue can be trusted.

I've just received the french version of the lego catalog. 82 pages + one more to order.

The WV market is back.

'>

'>

'>

edit: no EEE Maersk

Excellent report!

Just do not tell everyone over in the Town Hall thread. (joke)

This could get the factions of Pro Retirement and No Retirement all wound up since Town Hall is not a feature in the English and French editions of the new catalog.  (hehe).  PS I am pro retirement.

us one is a little different i guess,

#7965 millennium falcon is in page 8 as "this year's top gifts"

i didn't see ToO but

#10937 AA is 80% of the page (pg 23)

no delorean.

#21108 ecto is 50% on page 42

no mention of the Cusso/ideas set. no RI no exo

We would have to cross informations.

The lego Ideas theme is here (one page) but there is only the delorean and the ecto-1. No exo, no RI. Minecraft is mixed up with the new city sized minecraft and the Ender (small version). Two pages.

I don't know what to think about the R2D2... We have two pages with UCS xwing, ewok village, Death star, and... keychains ??? Come on ! That's not a place to put keychains, along with such expensive sets !

Oh and BTW the fact that the TH (and the GE) can't be found neither in my country, nor in the US catalog... is interesting, for the least.

edit: and no Horizon Express...

On the last page, we can order some sets. We can see obvious "best sellers" sets. Which means that if a set is listed here, it will not be "sold out" so childs will not be disappointed. All are 2014 sets, so I think that there's no need to list them, as an investment point of view (if you want it I'll picture it otherwise I'd not bother to).

Edited by biniou

I don't know what to think about the R2D2... We have two pages with UCS xwing, ewok village, Death star, and... keychains ??? Come on ! That's not a place to put keychains, along with such expensive sets !

The catalog isn't for resellers... It's for parents shopping for stuff for their kids. Kids love the keychains. I'd bet we'd all be surprised by how much money Lego makes from those simple items that cost them so little to make, ship, store and display.

You guys over think the catalog. It seems obvious to me that Lego mixes up the catalog from one region to another, and from one release to the next. Putting the same sets in each time would be stupid. Making a catalog that is 600 pages to showcase all sets would be stupid.

Simple is more. Simple is cheap. Catalogs are free.... There is a reason why big department stores don't print and mail out 600 page behemoth catalogs anymore.

• Like 2

We would have to cross informations.

The lego Ideas theme is here (one page) but there is only the delorean and the ecto-1. No exo, no RI. Minecraft is mixed up with the new city sized minecraft and the Ender (small version). Two pages.

Oh and BTW the fact that the TH (and the GE) can't be found neither in my country, nor in the US catalog... is interesting, for the least.

in US catalog:

no R2D2

no TH; GE or HH

there is TB and T1 and mini cooper just like you mentioned

don't have RI or exo anywhere.. i looked 3 times.. :) its unbelieving... and No tumbler as well LOL

can't like this statement enough. We all ( well most) get carried away and sometimes forget what Lego is all about in the first place.

Play well my friends .

don't matter who the target is, but not having product there means that they are not promoting it.

a. either the product is not available

b. either the product is not going to be available

c. either the product sells so well that does not need any mention.

LEGO is discretionary, its not food item that people will have to buy.

you have to advertise what you have just like the Victoria Secret models do so that people buy either the product or the advertising material itself....

• Like 1

can't like this statement enough. We all ( well most) get carried away and sometimes forget what Lego is all about in the first place.

Play well my friends .

Don't get me wrong... I haven't posted in about 50 pages but I still read every post. The speculation is fun, but some people take it too seriously.

I think everyone also needs a reminder that about a month ago it was reported all over the news that there was an expected Lego shortage this holiday season. Buy if you must, but to me certain items being OOS aren't a good indicator. This holiday season what is most likely to sell in _larger_ numbers? Town Halls and Tumblers or Agents and Turtles? My money is on Agents and Turtles.

don't matter who the target is, but not having product there means that they are not promoting it.

you have to advertise what you have just like the Victoria Secret models do so that people buy either the product or the advertising material itself....

But we've all read that the catalog is produced months in advance so I'm going with C and D.

d) Lego is making some predictions about what might be good sellers in the coming months.

Besides, we don't know what makes Lego the most money vs reseller scum like us. Just because it sells poorly in the secondary market doesn't mean Lego doesn't make a boatload of cash from it.

• Like 1

pretty sure what goes in there is well thought of marketing wise. They probably have few hot items on there to generate enough interest for you as a consumer to go online or in store to check them about.

My kids salivate over some sets/items that I would never buy for resale, so it works .

Edited by Bold-Arrow

The catalog isn't for resellers... It's for parents shopping for stuff for their kids. Kids love the keychains. I'd bet we'd all be surprised by how much money Lego makes from those simple items that cost them so little to make, ship, store and display.

Not for resellers ? really ? What a disappointement, it's like being told that Santa does not exist. :)

I don't have problem with keychains. But I think they could have put them with the microfighters (about the same value).

I just say that I think it's kinda weird to see two pages with sets that cost 215

In the German catalog version some sets are listed as "limited", e.***. the DeLorean is whereas Ecto1 isn't. The same with the VW1 (limited) and the Mini Cooper (not limited).

So is the palace cinema. :-/

Not sure if this tag really means something.

(the death star does not have that tag btw ^^ )

I'll just say in reference to the catalog no one knows why the Town Hall is not in there, but there is not that much inventory on eBay and it is already selling at a decent clip and Christmas sales have not started yet.  I think it will do fine whether it is OOS or retiring.

PS My 7 year old has a death star and key chains no Town Hall though. :)

Edit: Clarification that Christmas sales have started but they are not at their peak like it is going to be of course.