Retiring Soon - open speculation

I agree AA is a better investment, but Ed I feel you might have underestimated the 3E.  The expected short life span and true exclusiveness mean less stock among resellers. With so many players in the game in some cases the rarity might be an even bigger factor than how great the set is. Speaking of fans don't ships always do well, arguably even a little better than trains and planes?  For a display set I'd rather put up a ship than train and plane.

You still have to have people who want the set for a set like this to rise in value. Ed mentioned the 41999. Even though there were only 20,000 produced, there aren't many people who want the set. They are awesome sets, but it all comes down to the buyers and if they want the set or not.

AA is a great set. Let's just hope the minifigs included don't show up in another sets with the same costumes. Batman, the guard, and Poison Ivy are available in other sets. H.Quinn, Joker, Robin, and the the Penguin are exclusive with diff outfits than other sets. The Scarecrow is totally exclusive for now.

The set will do very well.

It's also a great build. Just wish it was larger for that price.

Sure, these are good points. Exclusivity and short life span most likely will help this set. I love it, but many just don't and that is the issue. It appeals to a smaller group of potential buyers and that will stunt its growth at some point.

It would be a different story only if we had those containers printed block than stickers
  • Like 2

I just think the amount stickers will have much influence on the secondary market price. Been wrong before though.

This could affect it but if someone is going to buy it and then they find out it has tons of stickers I don't believe they would not purchase it. The part that is going to affect it is that there isn't as large of a fan base for it.

Hat do you guys think of 9500. Will it retire in December.

This set is already retired. Once remaining stock at TRU is gone that should be the last of it at retail. They should go quick at the 60 clearance in stores not sure how many or long it will take to get rid of online at 99

This set is already retired. Once remaining stock at TRU is gone that should be the last of it at retail. They should go quick at the 60 clearance in stores not sure how many or long it will take to get rid of online at 99

Hobbit Barrel Escape is still on their website so it could be a while

Do you mean the set is so good that it doesn't need printed bricks to shine or it is so average that printed bricks will not make a difference anyway?

I think he means that stickers give you a choice...In this case for example, instead of having only maersk containers, you could make your own stickers and have a more realistic container ship

Hobbit Barrel Escape is still on their website so it could be a while

very true.  Those Barrel Escapes are still at Discovery Centers too.  Not a lot of those out there but they have quite a few in stock.  It doesn't help that it still says retiring soon and shows the last price as 19.98 sale on Shop At Home.  Makes it much harder for anyone wanting to pay over retail on TRU.

If they clearance the Interceptor online though it should go quick, plus being Star Wars helps seeing the Hobbits have been slow movers all over.   When they clearanced  the 9396 helicopters those went fast and now with the further instore clearance the last of those should get gobbled up.  

There's a TRU express "outlet" (HEAVY air quotes here) near me that has probably 10 Batman Funhouses - for $64.99. I do agree, beware the TRU exclusive.

Express TRU are worse then a normal TRU. Ridiculous that anyone would even consider their prices. I saw a set 2x the normal MSRP. What the heck?!?!

I've been to the official Lego store in Belgium today. There where no. GE, TH and HH anymore.

The salesmanager said this 3 sets will go eol !!! And he didn't expect these sets back in store again only if Lego has some leftovers to sell for the holidays.

I askes him about the pet shop his anwser was that he had plenty of them in stock en it will not go on retirement, but r2 and death star will defenitly go next year he said.

I know it's just a story like many others from a lego store manager, time will tell if he was right or not.

Was it a relatively young guy, 1m70, skinny, blond, and very helpful?

I would say AA has a brighter future than the EEE.  I like the Maersk stuff, I paid aftermarket for the train, but this is because I could appreciate the play value of it yet.  I like the boat, but if was sold out, I would be fine and move onto another set instead of paying aftermarket for it.  Of course that's my own personal perspective, but that just gives the AA an additional pro to encourage buying it.  It's got looks, license appeal, and play value.

I would say AA has a brighter future than the EEE.  I like the Maersk stuff, I paid aftermarket for the train, but this is because I could appreciate the play value of it yet.  I like the boat, but if was sold out, I would be fine and move onto another set instead of paying aftermarket for it.  Of course that's my own personal perspective, but that just gives the AA an additional pro to encourage buying it.  It's got looks, license appeal, and play value.

I follow emazers advice on all sets except for this one.

The problem I have with the AA is that AA no minifigures including van and front gate goes for $99 on ebay.

so one third of the set value at msrp is carried by minifigures.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40%7CR40&_sacat=0&_nkw=arkham+asylum+lego+no+minifigures&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

Maersk triple EEE TB minifigure part out sets go for.. -oh wait - - there are none.

Minifigures are just props in a modular set and its hard to find a minifigure parted out modular.

minifigures can be the rise and fall of a set.

if the exclusives in AA get found in a $14.99 set next year or the next year at walmart, the AA value will take a hit.

also its a facade - there is no enclosed structure.

its a super version of the batcave and a super-duper version of juniors defend the batcave.

betting against batman or superman is a bad idea - i have 4 AA  - that's enough for me.  i hope they do well.  but not going full tilt like i am on the others on the list.

when they come out with a Wayne Manor modular that stacks on top of a batcave set like Jabbas palace and rancor pit i will be all in.

Edited by cladner

The problem I have with the AA is that AA no minifigures including van and front gate goes for $99 on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40%7CR40&_sacat=0&_nkw=arkham+asylum+lego+no+minifigures&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

Another problem could be a new version of that set (the 10937 AA is the second version). If the new version:

- comes quickly (let's say less than 2 years after the current version);

or/and

- is simply better;

it will interfere with the rising value of this 10937 AA.

We are no more in the middle of the 2000's, lots of investors already have pallets of this set.

Certainly there is some money to make, but not as much as some people may think ( x2 MSRP would be really great, x3 MRSP seems unrealistic in my opinion, at least in europe).

BTW I think that you are right about the minifigs.

Edited by biniou

Not sure why people are comparing batman and boat / ship sets.

Pretty much all theme sets are carried by the minifigs so the 1/3rd quote above doesn't concern me.

For those who never built an Arkham Asylum, I suggest you do before investing in it. The build / design is just as cool as the end result. Additionally, if this set does half as good (ROI-wise) as the first AA set, that is a solid return.

If there is one batman set to invest in, I'm putting my money in this one. The "exclusive" tag and higher price mean a lot. I have a feeling too many folks are ignoring this set for whatever reason and it when it becomes selling out, the increase (spike in selling price) will be fun to watch.

• Like 1

I follow emazers advice on all sets except for this one.

Maersk triple EEE TB minifigure part out sets go for.. -oh wait - - there are none.

Minifigures are just props in a modular set and its hard to find a minifigure parted out modular.

minifigures can be the rise and fall of a set.

if the exclusives in AA get found in a $14.99 set next year or the next year at walmart, the AA value will take a hit.

also its a facade - there is no enclosed structure.

its a super version of the batcave and a super-duper version of juniors defend the batcave.

i have 4 - that's enough for me.  i hope they do well.  

when they come out with a Wayne Manor modular that stacks on top of a batcave set like Jabbas palace and rancor pit i will be all in.

The bottom line is both the Triple E and AA are excellent investment choices, but neither are perfect and will have ceilings lower than other top notch sets.  

AA has a cell for Mr. Freeze and no Mr. Freeze!  Otherwise, I think it's fine.  You're obviously not going to see the set minus minifigures sell for for near MSRP when you can still buy the whole set for MSRP.  Also, one thing that keeps down the price of a set sans minifigures is simply that it's opened and doesn't make for much of a gift.  To find out what the minifigures alone are worth, you should be comparing AA without minifigures to AA complete, but deboxed with pieces in sealed bags.

EEE on the other hand is not a train.  It's a ship that doesn't float.  It's really not comparable with the Maersk Train, unless you know of a way to motorize it AND get it to float...