Retiring Soon - open speculation

I first heard the rumor that TH would retire prior to PS over 1 year ago so I don't give it any weight at all. The only reason I can think that TH would be retired out of order and while it is still on the PR box is that it is an extremely poor model and poor seller and I don't think either case is true. Besides I don't see PS retiring this year either so even if the rumor was true that would put TH retiring the end of next year not this year. The idea that TLG is going to retire sets early just for the sake of shaking things up sounds preposterous but that is just my opinion. TLG does not strike me as a company capable of dynamic thinking whatsoever. Now if Disney buys them I can see plenty of shaking up.

I do not think what is on the back of a box can be used to draw any conclusions.

I think we had this discussion over the SSD box and what was on it.

Lego makes a printing job and the they never change it.

I wrote a very long post sometime ago about everything involved in changing a printing job (it is my life) and how it would not be worth it not just for money but many other reasons.

This is not pro or con TH retirement it is just that what is on what box I think Lego could care less about when they decide to retire something.

• Like 1

I first heard the rumor that TH would retire prior to PS over 1 year ago so I don't give it any weight at all. The only reason I can think that TH would be retired out of order and while it is still on the PR box is that it is an extremely poor model and poor seller and I don't think either case is true. Besides I don't see PS retiring this year either so even if the rumor was true that would put TH retiring the end of next year not this year. The idea that TLG is going to retire sets early just for the sake of shaking things up sounds preposterous but that is just my opinion. TLG does not strike me as a company capable of dynamic thinking whatsoever. Now if Disney buys them I can see plenty of shaking up.

They did shake things up when they _had_ to. Now they might be too comfortable to do anything rad if they don't have. But they obviously have capacity/demand issues. They are not publicly traded - so, no pressure from shareholders. Will be really interesting how will it all unfold. Double-curious if they renew no discount on exclusives policy. That would be a game changer if they don't.

Edited by No More Monkeys

Ghost Dad,

Appreciate your comments on retirement today.

Wanted to ask a question on it a different way.

If you could, what one set do you not have many of that you are concerned may retire soon that you would like to get more of? 

Now see, I just can't answer that.  Look what happened with TH in a single day!  I'll have no hope of getting more of "Set X" if I make a believable argument that it's about to retire, especially if some "trusted names" join in the speculation.  I will say that starting this year, I have been making a concerted effort to avoid ever finding myself in the position you describe (I think Set X is about to retire, but I don't yet have my target quantity of it in stock).  I try not to buy as early as some recommend, but I do (acting on the assumption that TLG is managed with some consistency) try to accumulate the sets I want no later than, say, a few months prior to anticipated EOL (EOL defined as the set disappearing from major retailers for the final time, excepting perhaps a few brief appearances in stock; practical EOL is often months before "official" EOL, when a set is listed as retired on LEGO Shop at Home).

I'll bite. If you are interested in any of the following set, you should pick up a few every week over the next 6 months.

#10188 2008-06 Death Star
#10214 2010-10 Tower Bridge
#10218 2011-05 Pet Shop
#10220 2011-09 Volkswagen T1 Camper Van
#10225 2012-04 R2-D2
#79003 2012-11 An Unexpected Gathering
#10233 2012-12 Horizon Express
#10237 2013-07 Tower of Orthanc

If you are looking for the set to load up on now, in hopes for a quick flip, you are playing this game differently than I and I can not help you.

• Like 3

GhostDad GhostDad GhostDad,

OK lets take my question and refine it

Original Question:

If you could, what one set do you not have many of that you are concerned may retire soon that you would like to get more of? 

Disclaimer:

Retire Soon could mean to some 1 week to others 6 months.

Revised Question:

What is the top set you are accumulating at this time?

Note:

It could be the Town Hall in a Scramble (which I know for you it is not) or it could be you are ready to start accumulating the "UCS Slave I" which is not even available yet. :)

I don't care if it retires tomorrow or if it never retires (Live Star, which will be retiring soon (i.e. 1-2 years) by the way I think) or if it has not even been released UCS Slave I)

What I am wanting to see is what set is GhostDad targeting as one of his top long term contenders that he is currently in acquisition mode?

What do you guys think of the desolation of smaug sets. Will they be retired by January.

I think they are money losing garbage like 99% of LOTR/Hobbit sets. If you can get them 50% off or more, sure go for a couple, but don't get upset when the price is still msrp 2 years after eol. Some people like the Mirkwood Elf Army, but I don't see it

What do you guys think of the desolation of smaug sets. Will they be retired by January.

I really have no idea but while I absolutely love LOTR and the Hobbit and are collecting 1 of every SKU that was made for me including custom SDCC items and other type things - I have become convinced that except for like getting the Black Gate for $29 and flipping it, and maybe in time the ToO that LOTR/Hobbit sets are not that great of money makers.  If you catch my drift, I absolutely love it all, but I am completely down on them as an investment potential.  Maybe someone can cheer me up on them.  Guessing not.

I think they are money losing garbage like 99% of LOTR/Hobbit sets. If you can get them 50% off or more, sure go for a couple, but don't get upset when the price is still msrp 2 years after eol. Some people like the Mirkwood Elf Army, but I don't see it

mscheaf this time we are in complete agreement (I think).  I actually don't think the sets are garbage as an avid LOTR/Hobbit fan.  But as far as making money I think they are absolute garbage.  I got 2 ToO, one for me and 1 to sell if it becomes a gem.  Combined with the poster, 10% back and the Christmas set 1/2 its not too bad.

mscheaf this time we are in complete agreement (I think).  I actually don't think the sets are garbage as an avid LOTR/Hobbit fan.  But as far as making money I think they are absolute garbage.  I got 2 ToO, one for me and 1 to sell if it becomes a gem.  Combined with the poster, 10% back and the Christmas set 1/2 its not too bad.

That's what I mean. I love LOTR and have a few of the sets for personal use. But they will not make money. I don't even think ToO will make any money, but I will still buy one with VIP points one day.

The Lonely Mountain will do ok because of Smaug and all of the sand green bricks.  But it's already overpriced at retail probably because Lego knows that only die hards will be buying it.  So I would expect it be discounted by Amazon, Target etc. by Christmas.  The rest of the line is rather mediocre.

I'll bite. If you are interested in any of the following set, you should pick up a few every week over the next 6 months.

#10188 2008-06 Death Star

#10214 2010-10 Tower Bridge

#10218 2011-05 Pet Shop

#10220 2011-09 Volkswagen T1 Camper Van

#10225 2012-04 R2-D2

#79003 2012-11 An Unexpected Gathering

#10233 2012-12 Horizon Express

#10237 2013-07 Tower of Orthanc

If you are looking for the set to load up on now, in hopes for a quick flip, you are playing this game differently than I and I can not help you.

I'm more of a long-view guy, too, and I'd add the 10937 Arkham Asylum Breakout to your list.

Great List, whether it takes them a month or a year (or longer) to all be gone.

I've been purchasing all of these with the exception of no Tower Bridge, Horizon Express or AA.

I am just skittish on the Tower Bridge as a big money maker though I had 2, sold them during 4x VIP on ebay (for the buyer) and netted 10% after costs from MSRP + tax.

But many are believers it will jump very well.  I would love to hear from an American (no offense to UK brethren) that are EXTREMELY bullish on the Tower Bridge.

I plan to acquire some of the Horizon Express, AA and Winter Village Market sets during Black Friday weekend with Set 2 of 2. Of course I want lots of Santa's Toy Workshop too (have 4) for hopeful Christmas flip but it is down to limit 1 now so that may prove harder.

• Like 1