Retiring Soon - open speculation

From what I have heard, the AA is a set that is on a 3 year license, so it will be around until the end of 2015.  I think it is a good one to start stocking up on, but it should be around a little longer.

You have godzilla batman and a clown as profile picture... I'm willing to believe anything you say! ;-)

(But yeah probably there's no need to panic right now ^.^)

Just a little heads up for US members who don't look at european LEGO Shop at Home .

The only big sets that have signs of retirement are:

- HH (sold out, but FYI seals of lastest sets are from middle of september)

- SSD (OoS, expected shipping on Dec. 18th)

- 9398 Crawler (OoS, expected shipping on Oct. 30th)

The rest (GE, TB, PS, TH...) are "available now" (Tumbler excepted but the OoS is because of its success).

• Like 2

Don't be too worried if you have less GE. 

You will be able to get some close to MSRP for some time to go.  (you could in fact pick some up now, but the wait for 2x will be longer I think)

Stock levels of that set are 5x higher than the HH. That was the one to get in priority. 

Note that it is comforting to see those modular sets rotate out every 3 years now. 

There was a time when things were less clear and people started seeing DS issues with these sets too.

Edited by bjiri

so... Haunted house is gone for good? Seems to be OOS worldwide

Does not say retired tho and isnt it meant to finish at the end of the year?

If you take the m out of your name it's eboli... That's funny. That's all I got from your post.

No one knows man. All speculation.

For what it means, the "Monster fighters" theme has disappeared from the LEGO Shop at Home.

This theme went in and out some weeks ago, it looks like this kind of scenario:

(lego, 2 months ago) - Ok, the HH is nearly done, we will sell the rest of our stock for halloween and Xmas, that's great.

(lego, few weeks later) - Well... it's already OoS ! Afterall it's a great set, bah, it's better than being stuck with. We do not want another kingdom joust. Ok, we have to ask for retailers to return their boxes, they will be glad to make some room. And since it's OoS, let's remove the Monster Fighters theme from the shop.

(investors) - The Monster Fighter Theme has been retired ! What's going on ?! Let's buy some more HH !

(lego) - Damned ! It's already sold out ! A lot of people still want that set ! Let's make another production run !

(investors) - The Monster Fighters theme has returned ! Want does that mean ? The HH is still sold out !

(investors, few days later) - (investor A) It's back ! I want some ! (investor B ) I'll wait for double VIP points ! (investor C) No way it's retiring !

(October 1th, investors and AFOLs screaming together) - Heeeeeeeeee ! Double VIP points are here ! PANIIIIC BUUUY !!!

(lego) - What the ??? We sold everything within 24h ! Well, we have no more now... let's remove the Monster Fighters Theme.

(investors) - (investor A) I got my set ! Seals 38S4 ! (investor B ) My 5 sets have been canceled ! lego, burn in hell ! (investor C) I have plenty ! I told you ! (investor D) I have none ! Will it come back ? (investor E) I don't know ! I hope so !

To be continued...

• Like 6

If you take the m out of your name it's eboli... That's funny. That's all I got from your post.

No one knows man. All speculation.

Yeah i heard about the eboli scare in the US

My name is a coincidence :P

Hard to believe its gone for good.  Really thought it would last till the end of the year

I heard a LEGO employee say that he's got solid information that 75060 will be the next set to be retired this year, you should start loading up on them as soon as possible!!!

XP XP XP

... actually maybe that's really a good idea after what happend to the tumbler on the secondary market...

Edited by Locutus001

Im sure as of now most members here have come across the rumors that the town hall is going EOL. One of the major proofs that i have seen members bring to support this speculation is that fact that, before it sold out it was set to a limit of 2 on lego.com

the question becomes, is limit two a solid indicator of retirement? does anyone have reliable information about previously retired sets that may have been set to a limit of two before retirement?  such as the FB or SSD. Or is limit two just an indicator of stock levels, which can definitely hint at possible retirement but is in no way concrete evidence. 

To top it all off here is a list of sets that are currently set to a limit of two, i find it improbable that all these are set to retire in the very near future, although some of them are more at risk than others based on age. 

r2d2

arkham asylum

EEE

horizon express

death star

sydney opera house

tower of orthanc

red x-wing

knowledgeable and thought out responses are always appreciated. 

I don't think that the limit is any indicator.

Comparing the sets you've posted you can see that they are totally mixed when it comes to age.

I guess we can all agree that R2D2 and the DS will never retire so this fact alone supports what I'm saying here! But seriously, ToO for example is pretty new stuff whereas the DS is rather old... the only connection is the demand (especially when talking of investors...).

I think it is only natural that LEGO tries to keep sets available for a wide audience thus limiting certain sets. All these sets are bigger sets so LEGO will not mass produce them like smaller sets and somewhat needs to take care of demand and availability.

What's EEE by the way? ;-)

Im sure as of now most members here have come across the rumors that the town hall is going EOL. One of the major proofs that i have seen members bring to support this speculation is that fact that, before it sold out it was set to a limit of 2 on lego.com

the question becomes, is limit two a solid indicator of retirement? does anyone have reliable information about previously retired sets that may have been set to a limit of two before retirement?  such as the FB or SSD. Or is limit two just an indicator of stock levels, which can definitely hint at possible retirement but is in no way concrete evidence. 

To top it all off here is a list of sets that are currently set to a limit of two, i find it improbable that all these are set to retire in the very near future, although some of them are more at risk than others based on age. 

r2d2

arkham asylum

EEE

horizon express

death star

sydney opera house

tower of orthanc

red x-wing

SSD definitely saw its limit drop from 5 to 1 (not sure if it hit 2 on the way down), although that basically happened once it was already retired everywhere but LEGO Shop at Home.  I think of this sort of thing as only one possible sign among many.  For TH, it doesn't have me convinced, since the other signs (notably, is it the set's "turn" to be retired) just aren't there.  It is pure speculation that TH sells poorly.  Buyers seem to love the set and it's very highly reviewed everywhere.  Notably unlike the UCS B-Wing, a classic example of "early" retirement that was also the worst-rated Star Wars UCS set of all time on LEGO Shop at Home.

As far as the other sets mentioned, I consider the Death Star to be essentially retired.  If it were any other set, pretty much everyone here would agree; it's been around forever, goes in and out of stock at major retailers without sticking around, Target jacked up its price months ago, and LEGO Shop at Home cut the limit from 5 down to 2.  One day soon, just like HH and GE, it will simply be "sold out" at LEGO Shop at Home and a superlong panicky DS EOL thread will get started on brickpicker.  Anyway, R2-D2 is next up to be retired in the Star Wars UCS series, so that could happen anytime.  Red X-Wing surely has some more life left in it.

When does a line officially become retired? And are these currently retired?

Lone Ranger

Galaxy squad

Monster fighters

I know some old stock is floating around out there of all of these, but our TRU has tons of galaxy squad stuff and I thought it was dead

A set being on a store shelf is of no indication that it is or isn't retired. Retired crappy sets sit on shelves all the time.

the question becomes, is limit two a solid indicator of retirement? does anyone have reliable information about previously retired sets that may have been set to a limit of two before retirement? such as the FB or SSD. Or is limit two just an indicator of stock levels, which can definitely hint at possible retirement but is in no way concrete evidence.

r2d2

arkham asylum

EEE

horizon express

death star

sydney opera house

tower of orthanc

red x-wing

It seems LEGO has made many exclusive and hard to find sets a two set maximum in the US. If a set goes from 5 to 2, it is a stock issue...usually lack of stock, so it can be either a set near retirement or an underproduced set like the Tumbler. I look at a bunch of indicators and make an educated decision based them and the history of the set.
  • Like 1