Retiring Soon - open speculation

Guest TabbyBoy

I noticed that our friends across the pond don't seem as fired up about the Tower Bridge as we are.  Just imagine if this was the Golden Gate bridge and you'll then begin to appreciate it's future value in it's home country.  I have more TBs than any other big set and the good news is that Brits are more likely to buy them with a good chance of me selling them locally for cash with no shipping or fees.  I personally don't like the Sydney Opera House but, I appreciaty that Australians may feel different.

Here's my 2p (2c) worth of larger sets EOLing in the UK in this order:

Haunted House (DEC '14)

Pet Shop (JAN '15)

Grand Emporium (MAR '15)

Maersk 3E (MAR '15)

Super Star Destroyer (MAR '15)

Sopwith Camel (JUN '15)

Death Star (DEC '17)

The Tower Bridge and VW Camper have at least another year to go I think.

Edited by TabbyBoy

I noticed that our friends across the pond don't seem as fired up about the Tower Bridge as we are. Just imagine if this was the Golden Gate bridge and you'll then begin to appreciate it's future value in it's home country. I have more TBs than any other big set and the good news is that Brits are more likely to buy them with a good chance of me selling them locally for cash with no shipping or fees. I personally don't like the Sydney Opera House but, I appreciaty that Australians may feel different.

Haunted House (DEC '14)

Pet Shop (JAN '15)

Grand Emporium (MAR '15)

Maersk 3E (MAR '15)

Sopwith Camel (JUN '15)

Death Star (DEC '17)

With the retirement date for the Death Star do you mean 2017 or 2117? ;)

• Like 3

I noticed that our friends across the pond don't seem as fired up about the Tower Bridge as we are.  Just imagine if this was the Golden Gate bridge and you'll then begin to appreciate it's future value in it's home country.  I have more TBs than any other big set and the good news is that Brits are more likely to buy them with a good chance of me selling them locally for cash with no shipping or fees.  I personally don't like the Sydney Opera House but, I appreciaty that Australians may feel different.

Haunted House (DEC '14)

Pet Shop (JAN '15)

Grand Emporium (MAR '15)

Maersk 3E (MAR '15)

Sopwith Camel (JUN '15)

Death Star (DEC '17)

The HH is already on the verge of "extinction". We don't know if the back orders will be fulfilled or cancelled...

PS - I hope that does retire soon, and same with the GE.. LEGO might have some available online, but the quantities are getting more scarce on the shelves of other retailers by the day..

Maersk 3E - now that's a thought! What makes you say that!?

I am ready to bet with you over a SSD, that it won't last till Mar`15, if I win you owe me one LOL

Your words on the TB are spot on by the way!!! I am not english/british myself, but I live and work in the UK for some years now and I know the values of this country. the TB will be 

I'm just pondering what is up with Pet Shop. Others have already observed that it is sold out most places, marked up at Target, but limit 5 at SAH. Temporary US shortage or signs of an upcoming EOL?

i think it's investor speculation or people buying presents early.  not sure.  doubt it's being retired but who knows w/ TLG.

Haunted House (DEC '14)

Pet Shop (JAN '15)

Grand Emporium (MAR '15)

Maersk 3E (MAR '15)

Sopwith Camel (JUN '15)

Death Star (DEC '17)

Some interesting views you have there Tabby, and I'd probably agree with Maersk, Sopwith Camel and Death Star. As for the others, I can't see Haunted House making it till December. I think we've already had the last run and they're holding current stock back for Halloween. HH surely is gone by the time we have double VIP promotion. Your Pet Shops are going to be growing dust in the loft for another 12 months before they see an EOL, no way I see that going before GE. I'm going to guess there's a reason Smyth's aren't ordering any more SSD's, and it's probably the same reason why it's backordered at Lego. This one just isn't going to see Christmas. TB and VW are not showing any signs of disappearing yet. You could be right in them lasting into 2015, but I'm going to follow my instinct and continue to load up on these over the next two months because I think they've had their time.

• Like 1

We all believed the same for the FB, but it's still doing fine :)

Eh, I am not really impressed with it. been retired basically a year. While it has doubled, its CAGR is 12.7%. Not great compared to other Modulars especially when you know sets grow the most in the first couple of years.

The people saying this is an $800 set in a few years are smoking stuff.

Eh, I am not really impressed with it. been retired basically a year. While it has doubled, its CAGR is 12.7%. Not great compared to other Modulars especially when you know sets grow the most in the first couple of years.

Exactly. The vast majority of the FB's ROI so far came from 2 months leading to it's retirement date & and 2-3 months after it.

I do expect nice steady growth and the design is excellent.

Just so many sets produced...

That is just because it has been around for such a long time. CAGR is calculated from date of release till today. So yes, if you bought this set in september 2009 your investment would only have grown 12.7% per year. Totally different story if you bought it closer to the retirement date.

Haunted House (DEC '14)

Pet Shop (JAN '15)

Grand Emporium (MAR '15)

Maersk 3E (MAR '15)

Sopwith Camel (JUN '15)

Death Star (DEC '17)

The HH will not survive to the double VIP points.

I would say December '14 for the GE and Autumn '15 for the PS.

No clue about the other sets.

And of course, you have to buy tons of TB for the obvious reason that you're in the UK. :) As for me, I have z-e-r-o of this one and will never get any, except if I can have some with 50% off and then resell it to UK buyers. :P (but certainly that will never happen)

• Like 1